HybridZ

TDI 1.9 into 280z.

liveforeverZ

It can be done easily!! I've noticed a few posters on here over the months asking about diesel z's. Alot of interest after that veggie Z was posted on ebay. However, I have found a way to make a high HP veggie z with a VW 1.9 TDI. Most people get stuck on the FWD to RWD problem. Not a problem. Acme adapters make an adapter that mods the TDI up to the 5spd tranny off of a turbo Toyota Supra, which is obviously RWD. The TDI is relatively light and pushes about 110hp. Stock, that would be about as fast as the original Z, with more torque. Turn the 8lb boost up to 15lbs. Race injectors are available from most shops for the TDI, as are performance intercoolers and the standard mods. The rocketchip II for the TDI is a 40 hp/ 100lb torque gain. It can easily make 250 hp and 375 ft torque without breaking the bank or the engine.

After seeing what Willie Essing did at his diesel tuning shop in Holland I'd put a TDI 1.9 in something. Fueling alone does quite a bit, and when you start adding boost....look out! WOO HOO! 375 ft-lbs of torque and 40+ MPG to boot.

Ha, just was thinking about those 1.9 TDI's after a rep talked about her 700+ mile range with ther Jetta oiler.

What are the limits on those engines? Read in passing of a New Beetle TDI that was tuned to the hilt and was putting in some very quick times at a road course.

I've heard the limitations are somewhere around 300 hp / 475 lb/ft torque. But when you boost the performance that much in them, you have to make sure the bottom end is virtually bulletproof. And there are real limitations with the turbo. You can only go about 15 - 18lb boost before you need to do extensive mods. There is a guy on the tdiclub forum whose jetta 1.9tdi gets 260 hp / 400 lb/ft torque.

VW TDI's respond very well to a good remap...they use a Bosch EDC15 ECU which can be flashed over the OBDII socket, takes about 20mins. The Standard 115 hp PD engine has massive torque, remapped goes to around 290lb/ft 150hp. The standard turbo is pretty small but with a larger one big HP is possible. I've often thought it would be great fun in a lightweight 2 seater.

It can be done easily!! Turn the 8lb boost up to 15lbs. Race injectors are available from most shops for the TDI, as are performance intercoolers and the standard mods. The rocketchip II for the TDI is a 40 hp/ 100lb torque gain. It can easily make 250 hp and 375 ft torque without breaking the bank or the engine.

I have a 1.9 TDI in a jetta. Stock boost is 15psi, not 8psi, and under a load like a long hill it'll get to 18psi. It is a very nice engine. The remapping will up the boost to 20psi with the stock turbo. You'll need a bigger turbo to get much more if anything out of it IMO.

250HP?!!! Well, considering that stock it's 110HP, that is a pretty big increase. I suspect you'll have to have more mods than just a remap, injectors, intercooler or even a chip. But I've heard great things about the durability.

Hmm to be honest i would NOT go VW .. BUT use a BMW diesel.

I hope they are available there .. but for once they have more torque and a flatter power table, meaning a faster feeling .. and Tony can vouch for that.

next to that they are RWD and also available in 2.0 4 banger (factory 170 HP and plenty of torque) 2.5 or 3.0 six bangers.

The 1.9 tdi's are to peaky for my taste .. and believe me every car here has one ;) from Seat to Audi and back.. And believe me my Beemer has an edge to most of them op to 2.7's mainly due to the fact it has a flat power curve

Hmm to be honest i would NOT go VW .. BUT use a BMW diesel.

I hope they are available there .. but for once they have more torque and a flatter power table, meaning a faster feeling .. and Tony can vouch for that.

next to that they are RWD and also available in 2.0 4 banger (factory 170 HP and plenty of torque) 2.5 or 3.0 six bangers.

The 1.9 tdi's are to peaky for my taste .. and believe me every car here has one ;) from Seat to Audi and back.. And believe me my Beemer has an edge to most of them op to 2.7's mainly due to the fact it has a flat power curve

+1! I've ridden in a 3,0 diesel 5 series - boy, did this thing go... If I ever consider a diesel engine swap, it will be a BMW motor.

Touche Dr_hunt, I just read that the stock boost is not, in fact , 8 lb. I must have been reading an older engine spec. However, VW quotes the 1.9 tdi at 12 lb stock boost continuous, and 17 - 18 intermittently. They will push 16 continuous and 22 intermittently with tuning, but it isn't recommended. Maybe a KO3/KO4 hybrid turbo...hmmm.