HybridZ

Addicted to the internet, What to do?

JustinOlson

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators
I remember asking BRAAP about this and he didn't know of any local HA support groups!:lmao:

Hugh,

I haven’t the foggiest ideer what you are talking about. Since I installed the latest Java and flash updates, my dreams are much clearer and don’t hang as often…

internet-dreams12.gif

addict_varvel.gif

Fair enough. I just wanted to give you the worker's perspective. You may be losing out on hiring and keeping potentially good employees due to your policy. It may very well be that your business thrives despite your policy.

I'm not losing out on hiring and keeping good employees. I find that statement absurd. I've got great employees that get along with each other and on top of that I like them.

I don't know how you can conclude that I may be missing out on keeping good employees when the average length of service for my staff is over ten years.

The internet is one of the best tools ever invented for increasing productivity. However, like any tool if it is not used properly, productivity will suffer.

My business thrives because we know what we are doing, we work well together, we like what we do and we do it well.

I'm not losing out on hiring and keeping good employees. I find that statement absurd. I've got great employees that get along with each other and on top of that I like them.

You seem to be taking my comments too personally. Take a step back and a deep breath. What I'm saying is that there is a new generation of workers who won't take kindly to your rules. That doesn't mean that I'm saying that your business will fail, or that people hate you as a boss or anything else. All I'm trying to get across is that there are people out there like me who won't work for someone who has the mindset that employees computer usage needs to be monitored by the keystroke. That's all. If I was the right man for the job, I'd turn it down. Good luck with your business.

EDIT--I'm apparently not the only one who feels this way:

http://apcmag.com/3113/unlock_work_internet_or_risk_losing_staff_microsoft

And the follow up:

http://apcmag.com/3915/working_9_to_5_is_obsolete_says_microsoft

Hugh,

I haven’t the foggiest ideer what you are talking about. Since I installed the latest Java and flash updates, my dreams are much clearer and don’t hang as often…

Wha?? You don't remember me visiting you one day and I said the same thing as Justin brought up..."Paul, I'm spending too much of my time on Hybrid...what's up with that...how do you deal with it??"

And then you make some funny remark like "HA" for Hybridz Anonymous? You know, like "AA" for Alcoholics Anonymous? It cracked me up!

Oh well...I guess I can start the group if Justin wants to join. It looks like you're fine with your "latest service pack updates" LOL! :cool:

• Administrators
Wha?? You don't remember me visiting you one day and I said the same thing as Justin brought up..."Paul, I'm spending too much of my time on Hybrid...what's up with that...how do you deal with it??"

And then you make some funny remark like "HA" for Hybridz Anonymous? You know, like "AA" for Alcoholics Anonymous? It cracked me up!

Oh well...I guess I can start the group if Justin wants to join. It looks like you're fine with your "latest service pack updates" LOL! :cool:

Yeah.... puzzled.gif I remember... I'm still fishing that river in Africa... wink.gif

Hummmmmmm so much to say but I can not collect my thoughts to summerize. Guess I'll wait.

One thing,,, Jmortensen is correct and so is mark, you Just are in too different lines of work (I assume). Creativity is different than production work both procrastinate in different ways. If the job is done well, we are all happy!

Right now I'am my own employee, so I cant get out from the micromanaging, i'ts driveing me BATTTY!!!!!!!

EDIT: Did not see the 3rd page. Admonish as necessary!

You seem to be taking my comments too personally. Take a step back and a deep breath. What I'm saying is that there is a new generation of workers who won't take kindly to your rules. That doesn't mean that I'm saying that your business will fail, or that people hate you as a boss or anything else. All I'm trying to get across is that there are people out there like me who won't work for someone who has the mindset that employees computer usage needs to be monitored by the keystroke. That's all. If I was the right man for the job, I'd turn it down. Good luck with your business.

EDIT--I'm apparently not the only one who feels this way:

http://apcmag.com/3113/unlock_work_internet_or_risk_losing_staff_microsoft

And the follow up:

http://apcmag.com/3915/working_9_to_5_is_obsolete_says_microsoft

I picture this interview in my mind, new potential hire, has made it thru the interview process, I'm ready to hire and then the potential new employee says, one more thing, I need personal unrestricted access to the internet. I say the door is over there.

The bottom line is I pay well above average and expect above average dedication, loyality, and performance. I have all that from my staff.

On the other side, If I'm an employee and my boss has provided and excellent environment to do what I enjoy and takes care of me and my family, I do what the boss says.

Not taking your comments personally, just discussion.

Computer usage policy at work largely comes down to the nature of the business. If you run a catalog sales or tech support business, it probably makes sense to have computer usage nanny software. But what about a biotech startup or software development firm? Creative people don't take kindly to baby sitting.

My employer has extensive monitoring of computer usage and just about everything else, but that comes with the territory. Employees don't resign over this or other invasions of their privacy because they have weighed the pros and cons, and decided that the job security, the high pay and generous benefits are worth the infantilization or monitoring or other trespasses on one's space. Then again, it takes a certain kind of personality to countenance employment where I work.