HybridZ

Which Air Box to use?

I fabricated two air boxes after my original one had another lean misfire that destroyed it and also took out the hood.

Junkyard hood is painted and on.

This pic is of the hat. There are several more views of the air boxes in my Photo Gallery.

Which set-up looks better?

Hanns

92.JPG

I had a question about that clear box. is it encasing the carb completely, basically making a huge pressure box? For carb setups, isn't that normally the best way to set them up so everything operates at the same pressure or something like that.

The box encases the carb completely.

The polished aluminum hat feels like it's making more power than the box because it' a straighter shot into the carb.

The plexi glass has more thermal expansion with heat and I had to use bigger bolts because with 20 psi boost they all bent.

Maybe I'll use the box for car shows and the hat for racing. Either way, I may have to get wastegates now because I can't seem to hook up the power these new turbos make.

Jbk240z- The glass is durable, the bolts got bent.

Tkach- there should be some exhaust manifold pics in my photo gallery.

Thanks all for the comments.

What happened to the other box, did the backfire just pop the lid off?

I was wondering how much flex there would be in the 'glass box, sounds like there is a bit especially in high temps. What kind of adhesive did you use on the seams? It looks trick thought! Your car is always an inspiration Hans.

What happened to the other box, did the backfire just pop the lid off?

I was wondering how much flex there would be in the 'glass box, sounds like there is a bit especially in high temps. What kind of adhesive did you use on the seams?

Adhesive is "The Right Stuff" gasket maker.

Backfire ripped one entire side off and peeled up the top. The lid put a huge crease into the hood.

Both boxes have anti-backfire valves now.

I've read that those boxes are a PITA to use and leak? I'm curious on why you didn't switch to a hat?

The boxes don't leak but it is more difficult to access the carb.

The other hat I'm referring to in this thread looks different than most because I have 2 compressor discharge entries that must be joined before blowing through the carb. But it still works like a standard carb hat.

Hanns