HybridZ

Thoughts on buying a Motorcylce

Mr.INSANE

I've recently decided that with my car accident settlement check I want to buy a motorcycle.

I've been looking around at different bikes here and there, Trying to find something that is beginner friendly and has some nice features. Take in mind this bike will probably last me along time or at least thats what I'm hoping

So far I've been looking at

Suzuki GSX-R600:Fuel gauge,Inline 4,14k redline,Can be had cheap

Kawasaki Ninja 250R: Very cheap bike, Excellent beginner bike. Best gas mileage

Kawasaki ZZR600: Inline 4, Fuel gauge, Good beginner bike. Pretty cheap

So what do you guys think? I'm really pushing for the Suzuki

Dont get the 250 youll be ready to buy a new bike after a few weeks. They just dont have enuff power. The GSXR 600 would be a good bike for life if you dont plan on riding for hours at a time. The ZZR is a good rounded bike that would be good to learn on and keep but is Carb'ed. If you do go the GSXR route get an 03 or newer as theyre FI. As for me I pefer my 05' FZ6 but im a no plastic kinda guy. It all depends on what you like (sportbike, naked, standard, cruiser, supermoto, etc.)

Dont get the 250 youll be ready to buy a new bike after a few weeks. They just dont have enuff power. The GSXR 600 would be a good bike for life if you dont plan on riding for hours at a time. The ZZR is a good rounded bike that would be good to learn on and keep but is Carb'ed. If you do go the GSXR route get an 03 or newer as theyre FI. As for me I pefer my 05' FZ6 but im a no plastic kinda guy. It all depends on what you like (sportbike, naked, standard, cruiser, supermoto, etc.)

Do you think the GSXR600 would be too much for a beginner bike? How bad would long trips be on it(obviously back ache's :P)

I dont think any bike is "Too Much" as a beginner bike. As long as you respect the bike and know that anybike will kill you if you dont. The long trips with any sportbike is hard on your back, knees, and wrists. My brother got a 2000 ZX6R for his first and made sure he respected it. I also just put my ol' lady on a 550 maxim, but she hasnt recived her permit yet.

I like my FZ6 too (an 05)

SV650s 2003 + is a good one too (EFI)

Assuming youve got a decent head on your shoulders, any 600 can be a good starter bike. Make sure you budget for some quality gear and your MSF course and youll be good to go!

I've looked at the SV650 its a nice bike I just don't like the motor's sound. If I'm going to be hearing the bike for along time I want it to sound good :P

Well, if your going to buy one can I get life insurance on you? :lmao:

IMHO get the biggest bike you can afford. I've had a honda 550 4 banger, suzuki gs750, KZ900z1 (yeah I know I'm old) that had pistons and cams and would rip it up. I miss the kz900 the most. But I'm alive and that's all that counts these days. Man my dad thought I'd never make it to 30!

The gsxr is a great bike. My brother rides one as his only mode of transportation. I have logged a few hours on it as well. The only bad thing I can find to say is that it is a little cramped for me, but I am 6'3". Speed and acceleration are insane and demand great respect and self control.

I think that I read somewhere that the average ride time before the first crash on a sport bike is less than 45 min. Now I know there are alot of morons bringing that average way down by getting a bike and killing them selfs the first time they throw a leg over it. My brother put 13,000 miles on his last year alone without even a close call. So if you can keep yourself in check then I say go for it.

As a long time rider I agree with many of the things said already and I would like to re-infasize getting the proper gear as well as the bike (no matter what the bike is) and wearing the gear everytime you ride. Beyond that your own ability to be responsible and aware at ALL times is what will detirmine if a motorcycle is a long term enjoyment for you or a short term mistake.

A couple pieces of advice above and beyond are: under no circumstances should you ever ride if you are not 100% sober (wich includes being sleepy). And be aware that the majority of non rider caused accidents are from vehicles making an illegal left turn (or legal but not looking) in front of a bike that has the right of way.

Dragonfly

Not into the V-twins eh? :)

My FZ has a more upright seating position than the SV which is why I ended up chosing it. I have had a few close calls, mainly from people turning left infront of me. A bike with locked up brakes is no fun at all.

I have logged just over 12,500 miles on mine without going down, and I gear up every time. Try to find a local forum for bikes. If your a normal size (5'9-6'1) you should be able to find lightly used leathers and boots for cheap. I got my two piece this way, and my boots I found on CL for 1/4 the price of new.

Make sure to try as many gloves and helmets as possible to find the one that fits you best. A shoei vs arai vs HJC or whatever brands will fit differently.

Not into the V-twins eh? :)

My FZ has a more upright seating position than the SV which is why I ended up chosing it. I have had a few close calls, mainly from people turning left infront of me. A bike with locked up brakes is no fun at all.

I have logged just over 12,500 miles on mine without going down, and I gear up every time. Try to find a local forum for bikes. If your a normal size (5'9-6'1) you should be able to find lightly used leathers and boots for cheap. I got my two piece this way, and my boots I found on CL for 1/4 the price of new.

Make sure to try as many gloves and helmets as possible to find the one that fits you best. A shoei vs arai vs HJC or whatever brands will fit differently.

Yeah the V-twins are really just not my cup of tea if I was on a cruiser or a non sport bike sure but they really just don't have that F1ish scream the L4's have.

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out a clothes setup thats safe for me along with the helmet and such

Guest da-man (is not!)

I'm a long-timer myself, with 30+ years riding, including 10+ road-racing. I agree with most of what's been said here. Just about ANY 600cc bike will be plenty, and you'll find insuring it is easier / cheaper. My personal preference runs towards twins, but you've said you don't like the sound... (shame. lol)

So at that point, decide what type of riding position you like. The Gixxer will be the toughest on you, 'til you hit the track, and then you'll see hwy it's like that. But for 98% of the back roads out there, A good "Naked" bike, or even a "Sport-tourer" will keep up with the Gixxer, if you can ride smart.

Biggest thing I always tell people when we're talking about riding: 2 things will make a great impact on how long you survive on a motorcycle. In order, they are: 1) a helmet. 2) education.

Too often I see guys say they don't need to take a class. They think they won't learn anything from it. 2 years ago, I went with my sister-in-law to take the MSF basic course, so she wouldn't have to do it alone, and I learned some things myself.

Here's "lucky me": (just for fun)

01jpg.jpg

Guest da-man (is not!)
If I had the dough I'd get the new B-King from Suzuki. Its a naked bike with the busa's motor. BAD A$$!!!

yeah, I've been drooling on that one since it showed-up as a concept bike about 5 years ago.

Yamaha had one based on the VMax motor (which is an awesome mill) as well, but I can't seem to find pics of it right now.

Kudos to Suzuki for listening to the public that wanted it.

I ride a GSXR600 swapped with a 750 race motor everyday. I did a couple track days/schools on it. Street bikes are awesome machines but there is no sense in owning one unless you plan on riding it..... most people who ride them on the street don't even use 50% of their potential. After riding mine on the track I have lost a lot of the desire to ride it on the street. I actually have it for sale now. I cant ride it for more then an hour without my hands going numb and my back hurting... and Im 21. That and if I twist my right hand for over 1/2 sec I could get my license revoked!

I recently bought a new Honda XR650R, I am converting it to a supermoto and just got it street legal in NC. I really think SUMO's are sweet bikes. Easy to ride, and just a blast. Its a dirtbike at heart to if you drop it your not out 1000 bucks, just pick it up and go. You can hang it out in the turns and put knobbies on it and go off roading on the weekends. And btw these thing can RIP IT around short tracks. Ive watched CR's hunt down 1000's on the patriot course at VIR on 450SM's

If I was you I would personally look into a suzuki DRZ400SM, Husquvarna SM610 or even an Aprillia if you can afford it.

Here is what Im talking about.

art_15168_3_01.jpg

Here one is kinda gross but its an idea of what mine will look like when its finished:

s5000707sp1.jpg

Ummm, bad things happen in three's. What number are you on?! I'am suprised knowing that you can not control all aspects of your enviroment, that you would want a bike. I know lots of people that have survived car accidents and lots that have died from motocycles.

Sorry to be a poop, believe it or not I'am not really into safty frist, but phyics don't lie. Part of the fun is the risk,,,,, i guess.