HybridZ

Throttle Cable?

MPD47

Getting my engine bay together here in prep for my KA Swap, the only part I really havent looked into or know how to do is the throttle cable setup. Does anyone have a good solution for adding a cable and getting rid of the mechanical ball and rod stock setup on an early 240z? I suppose I could built some brackets and use a universal cable, but I'm curious as to if there is something easier. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Lokar makes a throttle cable piece that will snap on the ball throttle end, and if you source any Nissan cable, you c an screw that baby on the end of either the Lokar cable, or the Nissan cable and snap it right on there.

Easier than modding the pedal like I did years ago.

Some said that Pep-Boys has cables that will work, but I haven't seen them there in stock, at least.

Lokar also has a universal kit, where you remove the Ball from the plate, I think I drilled out the bottom of mine ( like a rivit). You then have this pin w/ two "E" Clips that go through the hole where the ball was mounted. I'll take some pics, I did it and it looks clean, was easy to install, and requires MINOR fabricating.

Here's some shots of my Lokar universal cable

n647374244_645538_1814.jpg

I made the angle braket on the left out of some scrap 2X3 tubing leftover from my frame rails. Band sawed it to shape, drilled a hole and cut a slot for the cable to slide through. On the right, I pulled the lever off, drilled out the bottom of the pivot ball and insalled that clevis type connection that came with the kit.

n647374244_645539_2096.jpg

n647374244_645540_2372.jpg

My 71 pedal works with the stock KA throttle cable. I took the mechanical linkage assy off. There is an opening on the top of the pedal. Slide the cable in and bolted the guide to the firewall. There is a plastic locker that will keep the cable in place on the pedal. Right length for my Sr. Not sure if the KA throttle body is equal distance or not.

When I got my 240sx tb from the j/y I grabbed the cable and the pedal. I measured it up and chopped the ends off of both the 240sx and my 260z pedal, then welded the 240sx end on the 260z pedal. Drilled a couple holes in the firewall and bolted the cable to the firewall. It took me about 2 hours and cost $4 for the pedal.

Hey, what difference does that make? My wife already knows to write me off second Thursday of each month! Romantic fool am I...NOT!

I ended up with a Lokar end and sheath, with a Nissan cable and end. Now working on the quadrant attachment to the SSS manifold.

• 1 month later...
Here's some shots of my Lokar universal cable

n647374244_645538_1814.jpg

I made the angle braket on the left out of some scrap 2X3 tubing leftover from my frame rails. Band sawed it to shape, drilled a hole and cut a slot for the cable to slide through. On the right, I pulled the lever off, drilled out the bottom of the pivot ball and insalled that clevis type connection that came with the kit.

I've been contemplating making a similar cable set-up to this when I go EFI in my 240, I just wasn't sure how I was going to deal with the ball. I also haven't looked at it that closely either. This pretty much verifies what I was thinking though. :D

The problem with that setup is that it still relies on the linkage at the gas pedal. That is where a lot of the resistance comes from. Ideally you want to have the cable hooked up to the gas pedal. Looking at that picture, you should be able to get a cable to attach to the gas pedal and snake the throttle cable to the throttle body.

EngineAfter_thumb.JPG

Extrudabody Items QtySKUDescriptionPriceTotalRemove FWA-1Throttle Mount, Firewall $8.00 $8.00Remove TCA-48Throttle Cable, 48" $20.00 $20.00

Sub-Total

$28.00Extrudabody ESTIMATED TOTAL$28.00

Pull the Pedal, drill the welded pin out to 1/4" hole, drill 2 holes through a 3/4" 1/2" x 3/8" piece of Aluminum, 1 hole is 1/4" to match Pedal hole, the other is 1/16 for the Cable Wire!

The Alminum piece acts like a Pivot, bolt the Aluminum piece to the drilled pedal, with a 1/4" bolt with 2 x 1/4" nuts jambed against both side of the Pedal rod to give a little play in the Aluminum Pendelum piece!

Attach Cable Adjuster to fire wall, run cable to firewall, wire thru fire wall to the Pendelum piece with! Cable clamp to adjust wire pull length, Cable Adjuster on fire wall to adjust the Cable casing length!

Hope that helps! We have 38k on the same set-up, with a 1.5mm wire!

Kevin