HybridZ

Mike Kelly's Zcar Project

Clip of the start up from two nights ago.  I still need to check a few things and start sorting out the rest of the issues, but hey I'm stoked to have it actually start up again.  Not to get it to move under its own power!

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?v=10200403175982373&set=vb.567239713292457&type=2&theater

Mike

Assuming all is now well with the 383 stroker, here is the short list of things I'll try to accomplish over the spring:

Instal carbon louvered vents in the hood and top of fenders.

Install John Washington's Scoops in the fenders trailing the front wheels.

Cut and reweld extra set of strut housings we have so I can get the nose on the ground.

Install the Cool Suit Box.

Relocate the Battery to the passenger front footwell.

Install the fire System.

We also may weld in some Dzeus Fasteners and make some lower skirts that can be easily removed for jacking the car up.

There are other things I'm kicking around but so far this is the "short list".

Mike

Got the minor issue with the distributor/wires resoved and the motor is running properly.  I have a hadfull of things left to resolve other than the list of improvements above.  I'm registered for a single day event at nccar in March.  I hope to have a day or two in before that so I can get more driving in before April.

Mike

Mike:

Good to hear that you are nearly back on the track. Interested in your previous post.  "Instal carbon louvered vents in the hood and top of fenders.  Install John Washington's Scoops in the fenders trailing the front wheels."

Is there positive pressure in the wheel well and therefore the need fo louvered vents in the top of the fenders?  Are there pictures of the John Washington's Scoops installed on the Datsun?  Very interested in both of these items.  Please advise.  Thanks.

It all boils down to how aerodynamically kooky you want to go.  Based on the yarn tests in some key areas, un-sealed fender openings will benefit.  If you have the OEM factory inner fender liners, I would LOVE to have them.  They help a lot.  Roddy Suggs car had sheetmetal fender closeouts and I believe the results were impressive.

The John Washington scoops were intended for the hood, but can be bolted elsewhere.  I'm going to use them as side fender treatments to help extract air collected in those huge pockets aft of the wheels.

Mike

The elbow is stil giving me fits, so I took the last two days off... Since I don't want to watch the pomp and circumstance that's going to flood the airwaves today, I hope to get back in the shop and address some of those issues mentioned above.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I know, I know... No updates...

Been really ReALLY busy with the whole work thing.  We have a total of 8 proposals on the "due date" bubble right now, along with tax season, which for a company or corporation is a tad more complex than the normal return, along with this whole Sequestration BRAVO SIERRA in Washington, which is directly impacting our ability to work and play.  AND I still have tennis elbow. 

But hey, yesterday I DID start the Zcar for the guy who'se girlfriend came to buy the Turbo Miata.  Yup... It's sold and on to its new home.  6 months into it and really enjoying it, but he called at the right time and I sent it home with them.  Fortunately the BF of the new owner is Tom Harris' boss at Classic Aviation.  So Tom will keep an eye on it and help them out if anything goes wrong. 

Mike

Don't count on it.  The state of the economy is something I'm gauging heavily and will dictate my event plans this year.

Mike

So Mike, will you be coming up to ZCON in Nashua, NH this summer with your (finished) Z?

I'm sure it and you will make quite an impression....

Had a couple friends of mine, father and son actually, come over and give me a hand yesterday with the clutch hydraulics.  We got that sorted and functioning again.  I now have an issue with TWO header wires burned thru the fireproof boot socks due to clearance on the headers.  Ugh... If it isn't one thing, it's another, right?

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Ever feel like you were having "One of those years?"  Couple weeks ago we had to let go of a few employees due to lost services contracts.  Pull up another hole on the old belt.  Then we met with our CPA and found that it was almost negligable to take a "owners paycheck" on the company, due to the assorted tax changes.  So pull the belt just a little tighter still.  So I've been in a funk about finances and spending, and made a knee jerk reaction to unload the few bits of debt I have so I can weather the impending storm of 2013's financial disaster in my industry... Wednesday night I put the GT3 up on the market and within 24 hours I have a buyer, which I knew would happen.   I was coming home from work Thursday afternoon thinking about how that would free up some fun money for me to go to the track more this season, just minding my own business, when traffic came to an abrupt stop.  I look in the rear view mirror and to my horror, a powerline bucket truck is coming fast and no sign of stopping.  So I pull towards the median and the grass, but not in time.  The bucket truck hit me and pushed me another 50 Ft.  My truck, a Dodge 3500 is now sitting at a really steep angle to the left side, and I'm only about 5 feet from oncoming traffic.  

First responders get to the scene and they can't come near the truck.  They're concerned it will roll over.  So I wait some 30 minuntes while they bring in another large firetruck to stabilize the truck before they can get in, put a neck brace on me and get me out on a backboard.  I'm finally taken to the hospital where they Xray me, Cat Scan me and confirm I'm going to be OK other than muscle soreness... And boy am I.  Friday was spent getting rental car and collecting my personal effects from the truck, and Saturday I was back at my customer's site for a software delivery.  Today is the first day I've even wanted to think about my Zcar or this site.  I'll know more tomorrow, but after visiting my truck, I dont' think it's totaled.  I think the impact missed the frame and I "hope" they can just fix her.  The last time, when the semi hit me in 2009 it took me 10 days to find another Dodge 3500.  I finally had this one tuned properly and was happy with the 20.7mpg commuting in it.  Really don't want to have to replace it, since it's paid for.

I plan to get back into the swing of things by tomorrow afternoon.  I need to remove headers and clearance some sparkplug boots, check a few things on the induction to figure out what's causing the motor to surge when idling, and then start buttoning it up and change the break-in oil out. 

Things are going to get tough for us "Americans" in the coming months. Doesn't mean we have to stop living. We just have to live smarter.

Things are going to get tough for us "Americans" in the coming months. Doesn't mean we have to stop living. We just have to live smarter.

Were truer words ever said? Not sure what it means to you Mike, if anything at all coming from some stranger on the internet, but you and your family will be in my prayers.

Rest up, get better. Try not to get hit by ANOTHER semi. (oh come on, how many people do I get to say that to? :wink:  )

Got out in the shop for a while this afternoon and was able to pull the headers and ovalize the outer pipes in the press. I now have clearance on the plug boots. I also adjusted the clutch rod more and then bolted the front aero back on the car.

My back is still not 100% so I had to call it a day after only 2 hours, but today was the first time I have been in the shop in over 3 weeks.

Mike

Got out in the shop for a while this afternoon and was able to pull the headers and ovalize the outer pipes in the press. I now have clearance on the plug boots. I also adjusted the clutch rod more and then bolted the front aero back on the car.

My back is still not 100% so I had to call it a day after only 2 hours, but today was the first time I have been in the shop in over 3 weeks.

Mikepost-7-0-42838400-1362346803_thumb.jpg