HybridZ

Mike Kelly's Zcar Project

For me it's from multiple minor injuries from trying to be a hero when I was younger.  Matt, for you it is more likely either from Seal School, or perhaps from all that pole dancing you do at the club.  Word on the street is that you plan to finance your rebuild at a rate of $1 at a time! 

I guess getting shot, stabbed and the time my shute didnt open and I pulled my secondary at 1200 ft and hit the ground doing around 70mph and broke both my hands, a foot and dislocated my knee and my shoulder could have something to do with it. I've sold a kidney, most of my blood and as much semen as they allow a man my age to give to help in the re build and I know I cant make any money on a pole due to my back pains. I do accept charity..........if anyone is in the giving spirit, I just dont think anyone feels sorry for me. 

BTW...........Over dinner tonight my engineer and I discussed our direction moving forward with my car and everyone is going to freak out when they see what we are going to do. Our target date is to be complete by March, I would love to have the Z for the Barber race in Feb but Ive always got the Vette. It always takes longer than what you put on paper. I assure you it is going to be a huge step in a direction few have ventured with this platform. 

I sense we have some like-minded people here that are relatively competitively racing the s30 chassis.

I am totally committed to the next 2+ years or more in the s30.  Its the dimensions, the shape, the history, the balance...

s30 ain't quite ready for VARA in my book just yet... haha

loooots of similar experiences it sounds like among guys... Just shows we didnt live sedentary lives. I would much rather die doing what I love than die of heart disease...

In Raleigh NC this weekend to visit the Museum of Art and Porsches display "Seduction of Speed"...Did manage to get the crank sensor installed before I left and my starter installed. I also got the XIM and injection harness in. Still awaiting fuel rails, injectors and coil packs.

Mike

Pics from yesterday's test fit...

20131215_151758_zps54f5e3eb.jpg20131215_170650_zps16850ba0.jpg20131215_171147_zpsc21069b4.jpg

20131215_171201_zpsd3845242.jpg

Drivers side motor mount location:

1476153_776900802326346_515539267_n_zpsd

Passenger side Mount location:

20131215_171420_zpsca43230d.jpg

So obviously the motor is coming back out.  I need to tidy up the fuel line routing, I need to clean up the chassis/underside, and ther is some welding I'd like to do in a few areas...   Anyway, it was good to get to see where the motor mounts will need to be welded in, and how everything will sit. Really happy with the placement of the Dirty Dingo motor mounts.  Will make plates and weld that all up as well... Hope to have the motor permanently in soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Been a slow few days since the holidays hit... I haven't been able to weld up the mounts because my welder died.  I'll have to replace that this weekend before I can move forward. 

On the "life" side, I managed to trade the 2012 Mustang GT in on a 2013 Focus ST and I am TICKLED with the performance and braking of this little turbo 4banger... Not to mention the killer MPG when driving it like a normal commuter box.

Happy New Year Gang!!

Mike 

• 2 weeks later...

Not a whole lot going on lately with the bitter cold.  I did manage to drop my oil pan off with EB3 motorsports to get the clearance issues resolved.  Evan is going to cut the bottom of the sump off, flip it around and have the lines dump out on the driver's side, approximately 8 inches from the pump fittings.  This will actually be a far better, and shorter option with zero issues associated with line routing.  Heat on the lines will be significantly reduced as well.

I also got my flywheel in, and was given a clutch kit to work with by a good friend of mine.  Until the motor is in and all other associated support pieces are working properly, I'll be using this Kiesler bellhousing, a Fidanza lightweight aluminum flywheel and Spec Stage 3 clutch.  It should be sufficient for the first phase of debugging.  I'll eventually move to the quicktime setup everyone else is using. 

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Got the LS Drysump pan back from being modified to clear the headers...

1560512_799621263387633_581899035_n_zpsd

1525675_799621333387626_1055467275_n_zps

1510415_799621406720952_1644565965_n_zps

Basically we flipped the sump 180 degrees to clear the header on the passenger side.  Now the lines will be extremely short since the pump is also on the drivers side.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Mike/Matt,

Didn't realize you guys were going to be at the Chumpcar race this weekend.  It would have been nice to visit for a few.  I was probably standing right next to Mike while talking to Peden and didn't even know it since we've never met in person. 

Fortunately our team breezed through tech inspection, but our E30 motor blew about an hour into the race (we did 19 laps).  We had moved up to 13th place (from 30th) when I believe the block or head cracked.  We pulled the head and there was no apparent damage to the head gasket.  Tonight we pull the motor and start the rebuild process.  We hope to have it together and sorted by the end of May for Daytona. 

• Like 1

Zack, I was in very poor spirits after thrashing all day to "prep" a car that should have been prepped and ready before the race.  There is absolutely no shame in cancelling, which I think Micheal has learned.  Was a large expense and waste of time for all involved.  Our team turned a total of 5 laps and the car had no brakes and a number of other safety related issues.

On a similarly frustrating note, I JUST got my coilpacks/brackets/injectors yesterday.  In doing a friend a favor last fall I ordered a bunch of stuff from him.  Amazing how long it takes some "speed" shops to get parts in, when Summit and jegs seem to get stuff to you within 72 hiours.

Matt, Was good seeing you and I greatly appreciated the ride in the kart and the calendar.  Will be February all year for me.

Mike

Since we have over 12 inches of snow on the ground and I have a sick wife with the flu, it was perfect time used to go to the shop today and work on the LS3 and the chumpcar. I managed to install the 60# injectors onto the intake with the fuel rails and mounted the brackets and coil packs onto the valve covers.

I then moved on to the chumpcar and started sorting the seating issues...Half way thru with that and will wrap that up over the weekend.