HybridZ

Mike Kelly's Zcar Project

Got a fair amount done today and I think the mods made a huge difference in how the car is going to perform. I took the steering shaft off, knocked the bolt/bolt boss off with a grinder. I cleaned everything up on both pieces, knocked all the rust and debris away and then set the length and welded the two together. After a test fit, I cofirmed the steering shaft is proper. I then primed and painted it, then reinstalled it. This mod gained me over 3/4 inch of clearance to lower the motor further into the chassis. This will help with my driveline angle.

I also got ahold of Wayne At KWIK Performance and got spacers on the way for the alternator mount. Between those spacers and the one for the MTI manual tensioner, I should have the accessory drive resolved. Car might be running by the weekend.

Mike

Everything is a compromise. So I lowered the motor in the chassis about an inch. Wonderful... NOW the oil lines are interfering with the steering shaft... UGH. Lesson to ANYONE thinking about a drysump... DON'T put it on the DRIVERS SIDE of a chevy SBC OR LSx. Anyway, I'm making decent progress. I have the spacers for the MTI tensioner on and I have the alternator mount spacers on the way. I also got the throttle cable in, as well as a block off plug for the 02 sensor port that I won't be using (FAST only uses 1). Need to take the serpentine belt back for one an inch longer and I need to mount the dash and get her ready to fire up. Maybe this weekend? We'll see...

Edited by Mikelly

Getting there...

10394640_895436323806126_588023200386394

List of to do before firing it up for a run in on the motor...

Attach throttle cable (before installing dash!!)

Charge battery

Test out the dash wiring

Test the XIM connections and settings

Load the LS1 Tune

Remove the drysump and grind down a section on the block causing interference in tighting drysump belt

Attach oil lines to pan/Pump/filter base

Add oil to system and prime/check for leaks

Add Water

Fire And Gas/Fire and Gas/Fire and Gas!!!

Edited by Mikelly

Not very productive the last two days. In moving the motor to its proper location I ended up with an oil line/steering shaft interference that I simply can not manage. I also had a grinding wheel break apart and take a chunk out of my face and another piece hit the other side, causing some blunt trauma... Not good.

I am going to have to send the pump back, move some mount locations and slide the motor mount so I can get the pump sitting on the passenger side, and then I am going to have to recreate some oil lines...

Pretty dejected right now...

While I'm off doing anything but working on the Zcar, enjoy these clips from my recent instructor weekend in my bone stock suspension/tire Focus ST.  Managed to pace some respectable hardware in a little front drive hatchback...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wrxxFtaDW0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ouwPewooxA

Mike

Edited by Mikelly

• 2 weeks later...

Got the new LOKAR throttle cable installed properly and that was a total PITA due to a phillips head screw being damanged previously and requiring vice grips and a lot of patience to remove.  Thankfully it is complete and fully operating the throttle body.

The dash is in place and all wires connected.  I need to test out all of the electrical this week.  Hopefully I'll get the pump back by the weekend! 

Got some progress made on the interior getting all the dash and electrical wrapped up. I also made a simple bracket to mount the XIM. All that is left is to put power to the units, upload the OEM LS1 file to the XFI and check out all the electronics. Still awaiting the drysump pump back from NRE!

As luck would have it, there is no "LS1 base file" in the FAST catalog.  You take a file for a cubic inch configuration closest to yours (in my case a 400 NA Chevy base file) and you convert it to the parameters you need.  So Sunday morning I sat down and sorted out all the parameters, made sure the devices are configured properly, and was able to make everything sync up and talk to each other between the XFI (main ECU) the XIM *(ignition/coilpack controller) and the Touch Screen Dash/Data logger.  Fun Fun Fun!!!  Now i just need to get the pump back and all fluids primed and test for leaks!

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Pics are out on my facebook page but I made a lot of progress this weekend. The pump is mounted and all but one fitting are installed on the lines and the lines are mounted up. I had to remove the water pump and plug the heater core ports to remove the fittings and allow the drysump to plumb properly. I think this car will start within the next week. Getting really close gang!!