HybridZ

Mike Kelly's Zcar Project

She is coming together nicely... And the T56 was delivered yesterday as well. I need to start sourcing rebuild parts for it and getting the gear ratios sorted... Winter project will be the 8.8 rear Ford IRS.

Should be able to get sorted and get to a track near me by September...

With the progress I am making I think I will have the car ready to dyno within two weeks... Got the cooiing system buttoned up tonight and got a great startup file for the car. Will get the exhaust buttoned up by the weekend and hopefully have the clutch system bled and working.

Something I forgot to mention that came from last weekend's visit from Cory Brown was the fact that My RollCage and my fuelcell are fine for competition.  So for all those who said after my cage was done that it wouldn't pass tech inspections, nanynanybooboo... 

Small victories my friends, small victories...

Exhaust is done, Cold air kit is done, and I am down to literally a handful of things left before we terrorize the streets and racetrack!

post-7-0-65162000-1408058500_thumb.jpg

All that is left is mounting the IAT sensor, the Remote Start relay, wiring the alternator, and then it is on to breakin of the motor, and get it ready for the dyno. I will still need to make the new radiator air box and then bleed the clutch system again.

Edited by Mikelly

I got your seat bolted in today. AutoPower seat back brace is nice. All nice and solid. Harness tomorrow. Fortunately, my ass gets smaller as my belly gets bigger so I can still squeeze into 16" seats. My spleen may jiggle, but my arse won't. Can't wait till October!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I won't be at the Z1 nats this year with the car.  Not been able to make the progress due to the accident.  But that's life.

Anyone interested in my REAR drivetrain contact me off line.  I'm moving off to another platform... Will include the Q45 rear Mustach bar, uprights, TWO of the shortnose LSD differentials, custom AXLES, and adapters.  I also "plan" to sell my custom MML stubaxles, but am awaiting confirmation on how that will pan out with replacements...Pretty much a plug and play install for anyone going five lug and very strong... Gearing is 3:54.

Mike

Edited by Mikelly

Amazing wall art my wife had created for me... For our 13th wedding anniversary!!  The wooden zcar is an exact trace of my Zcar in a photo that was captured at VIR... Same spoiler and front airdam... So cool, on my favorite track!

10622966_10204981396435023_8754531744809

Yea that picture of me is from when I was about 29 years old, circa Xmas 1995, in a yellow car that was supposed to represent my yellow Zcar from that period when I won a Pro Solo championship with Va. Motor Sports Club!

Edited by Mikelly

I know that progress as has stalled on my end with this project.  The bulk of the slow is getting things in order for the transmission (T56) that will need torn down and gone through, the changing out of 5th and 6th gears to get more usable (and closer) ratios inplace, and to get the rear swapped over to the 8.8 rear.  I'll also be doing a brake caliper upgrade in the process since I already have Wilwood rotors for the Mustang, which had no offset at all.

So the project may not get updated while collecting these bits and pieces.  Then there is the bodywork make-over... More on that at a later date.

Mike

Edited by Mikelly