HybridZ

Mike Kelly's Zcar Project

Picked up the chumpcar reman motor yesterday, and have put all progress to the Zcar on hold.  I have a team paying to rent the chumpcar for the March VIR 12 hour race, so I need to focus on the chumpcar for the duration of the next two weeks.

Really close to getting the motor into the Zcar.  We have all the parts in except for a custom length serpentine belt, the alternator (which is on order) and a head plug for the one L92 head.  That's it, then I can install the motor, weld the mounts up to the chassis, remove the motor, finish the welding on the other bits on the car, and then place the tank behind the main hoop passenger side area and run all the lines.  We're really close, gang.  Probably a solid weekend of thrashing.  But again, it's on hold through next weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Some of you might recall about 12 years ago the missus and I drove to Atlanta to pick up a Gnose for my project. Les Heath borrowed it to make a buck for molds. Les fell off earths face and has never been heard from...12 years later and tonight on Facebook his uncle hit me up and asked me if I was the guy who loaned Les the parts... I am happy to report that Tommy Heath has been sitting on that Gnose and it will be coming home to me very soon.

I guess karma does come back to you...

• Like 1

Major Success on the Zcar yesterday evening.  Managed to get the driveline angles set, and finalized the locations for the front motor mounts... All is looking pretty square and true.  With the impending heavy snow/ice, I'm hoping to spend some time today cleaning up the engine bay and getting the motor and trans ready for "final" install.

Some of you might recall about 12 years ago the missus and I drove to Atlanta to pick up a Gnose for my project. Les Heath borrowed it to make a buck for molds. Les fell off earths face and has never been heard from...12 years later and tonight on Facebook his uncle hit me up and asked me if I was the guy who loaned Les the parts... I am happy to report that Tommy Heath has been sitting on that Gnose and it will be coming home to me very soon.

I guess karma does come back to you...

I do remember that episode...  It was hard to believe that kind of crap could happen doing one a favor. You are right. Good ol karma...   :cool: 

Good to hear you got it back. That tail piece is interesting !

Got a tremendous amount of work done again today... Fabbed up a new strust brace (three mount points) and finished cleanup on the motor mounts and other bits under hood. I need to Weld on two new brackets for the hood hold down rods so we can lower the hood tight under pressure.

If all goes well, the motor and trans will be in by the weekend and all the plumbing will be in place. I hope to have the Oil tank will be mounted to the rollcage in the rear of the main hoop on the passenger side. I hope to have the parts in to mount that up. From there it will be easy to install the lines and finish the plumbing out!

Man this thing is coming together!

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally settled in on brakes after having some of the best known suppliers sell me brake kits over the last 10 years... Can you say requirements creep?

PICT0241.jpg

PICT0237.jpg

PICT0236.jpg

PICT0228.jpg

WilwoodFrontBrakeKit.jpg

They're OEM Mustang Cobra brakes from 93-2004. They work with Jamie T.s aluminum front hub and MMLs rear stub axle. I went with the forged version.

Mike

Could you tell me more about the MML stub axles?

It's comforting to see that you went with the bolt in camber plates.I am, by no means a certified welder, however, I've welded enough to know that mating structural steel to sheet metal takes delicate balance. Heat too low and it won't penetrate the plate. Too hot and you'll fatigue the sheet metal. And the notion of all the weight of the corner, hanging on a perimeter weld just doesn't sit well with me. I decided to go with the GC plates myself!

Richie The Stub Axles are stronger and designed for a fivelug swap.  Unfortunately Ross Died last year and MML is no more.  I believe that TechnoToyTuning may offer something similar these days but it has been a decade since I ordered these parts, so I couldn't say what current stock availability is.

Plata, I'm probably going to refurbish the Gnose and install it over the coming year.  It's in pretty rough shape right now and is missing some mounting studs.  Time will tell! The rear tailpanel/spoiler combo will likely get used if we do another wind tunnel test this year!

Mike 

Edited by Mikelly