HybridZ

Mike Kelly's Zcar Project

Mike def sorry to hear about your dad.

As you can see why I needed to do some trimming :D -

563877695_7RYfK-M.jpg

As I dial the car in some more, I may do some more trimming. I don't have enough track days on the car for me to be "finished". I am runninf 250lb springs in the rear of my car.

Sidenote:

What rear break setup do you have with the 5 lug? Are those MM stubs?

Car is done and back together. I still need to adjust the suspension coil overs, and I need to pull the pan and address some issue with the rear of the gasket leaking. Otherwise, I now have zero issues with rubbing on the fenders!

Mike

So we're not dropping the oil pan. I found that by using the other dipstick as a gauge (canton 7 quart) I could actually see that the car had well over 1.5 quarts to much oil in it. So I'm going to just see how it does. I drained out enough and topped off everything. We also bolted on the strut brace. I have a list of "honey does" and then I'll be backing it out and taking it for a quick "cruise" Soon!

Mike

This evening I installed the turn signal lights in the front MSA Type3 bumper, replaced the carbon fiber uprights with 1/8th inch aluminum T6061 versions that allow less (ie NO) movement of the rear wing. Also sorted the rear swaybar link hardware. Coleman racing has 7/16th endlinks that thread right into the female versions sent with the AZ Zcar control arms.

So next I'm going to resolve the rear 1/4 window mounts and look at the height of the pins on the hood. Also plan to finish up a few more aero tricks on the car...Knocking the list down little by little...

Mike

So today I needed some distraction from the loss of my dad, and I ended up back in the shop tinkering, as he would've done.

This panel will get cleaned up and wire mesh over the openings for the intake airbox ducts:

04028fd0.jpg

c42a95f9.jpg

I also dug out my decals/stickers and applied a few...

3c038288.jpg

aab3b699.jpg

299d5906.jpg

Nipping away at the list of things left, slowly but surely...

Mike

Mike, my condolences to you and your family on the loss of your father...

It appears we are running nearly the same rear end setup, mm adaptors-axles to q45 diff. You have any issues with the axles, my end stops had gotten pretty 'hammered', so I had them 'smoothed' on a manual mill. Will take them out for inspection this winter.

This year's Vintage Grand Prix Honors the Datsun Marque. We're going to arrive Sunday night, and I'm registering (today) for the Chin Motorsports event that's being held on Monday/Tuesday Sept 5/6. So We'll be there from the 4th-11th of September. We've rented a house for the week. I'm just hoping the track will allow me to leave my car trailer there all week. we'll be doing "touring laps" of the course on Saturday, and running the old streets of the Glen course and doing the Parade as well... I spoke with the folks holding the event and there is going to be a HUGE Zcar turnout...

Mike

Thanks Dave... Tonight was the memorial service for my dad, so I didn't get a "lot" done. Yesterday evening I swapped out the woefully inadequate brake pads and brake ducting for the new Hawk Pads and 2 inch brake ducting hoses that are long enough to be usefull and not fall out of the front bumper!

Getting closer to wrapping this project up for the Glen!

Mike

So this morning I drove the car on the street for the first time, ever... 8 years owning/building... I had family in at my mom's for my dad's memorial and "celebration of life" cookout, So this morning I drove it over there and then back to my place. About 26 miles round trip. Here are some "no track day butterfly" observations...

The car is VERY comfy with those 400# rear springs and 500# front springs. I was surprised at the 50-80MPH cruising speeds on imperfect country roads that it wasn't more harshe... I have the 8610s setup dead center right now because I wasn't sure what to set them at, so Maybe I'll stiffen them over time.

The car is VERY TWITCHY now with the rear sway bar... I'm probably going to disconnect it and see what happens...Very surprised at how "nervous" it steered and tracked in the road. None of that at the track the last time with lighter pound springs and no rear swaybar.

The car is HOT inside the cockpit. WOW was it hot... And the air temps outside were only in the lower 70s. Engine oil/coolant temps were around 180 degrees unless I'd get behind another vehicle. Then if I followed another car the temps would increase to about 195, both on the oil temp and coolant temp. I'm guessing the closed off front end is paying me back for the lack of airflow. I'm guessing I'll need to tighten up the radiator box around the opening of the MSA bumper. There are gaps that need to be addressed.

The "oil leak" at the oil pan went away. I'm guessing the issue was to much oil. Once back home I put it on the lift and inspected with a flashlight... No leaks!!

The car is loud, but man was it fun to drive... The Family members present requested a "show of power" when I left, so I painted a little asphault for them... Big fun!

Mike

Edited by Mikelly

So this afternoon I got a little bit more done on the car... I welded in an o2 bung for tuning. I'll be having a dyno/Tuning session on Friday. I also addressed a leak at the Speedo gear, which just cropped up during today's drive... strange... And I started fitting the lexan/naca ducts into the 1/4 windows. Still have a few more things to wrap up before the Glen. Must admit, it was a very cool drive today in the car...

Mike