HybridZ

Mike Kelly's Zcar Project

Rags, It's oil, and it's not a lot, but I don't want to be "that guy" oiling a track down and having someone else have an issue because of my inattentiveness.

Mark, These sure are flimsy, make no bones about it...

Clive, If you can find them, I would appreciate it... I had no luck with it... Maybe I'll leave the other one at the other end on...

Mike

Mike, it's almost impossible to have a leak from the head in that area. Look at the valve cover, the intake and distributor, the plug in the top of the deck where the hole is drilled for the center cam passage, or the oil pressure port.

jt

I'd be looking at the "plug in the top of the deck where the hole is drilled for the center cam passage"

Been there, removed that (cast iron double hump) head while it was in the car to fix the leak....

Sorry to hear you need to pull that head, but at least it's aluminum.

Are you sure you don't want to upgrade something (better heads?) while you are turning wrenches? (evil laughter)

I'm inclined to think You're right Pete, based on the fact that the guy that built your other motor built mine, and they have both exhibited the same problems.

That said, I won't be upgrading to different heads... I'll be upgrading to a different intake and FAST EFI!!

Mike

I'd be looking at the "plug in the top of the deck where the hole is drilled for the center cam passage"

Been there, removed that (cast iron double hump) head while it was in the car to fix the leak....

Sorry to hear you need to pull that head, but at least it's aluminum.

Are you sure you don't want to upgrade something (better heads?) while you are turning wrenches? (evil laughter)

No, the guy that built your shortblock built my original 407 c.i. shortblock. That was 2 sets of pistons and 3 cams ago! ;) I had that deck plug weep a bit on a 327 build. It was an old 64 block that had a pressed in cup plug, no threads. I made sure to use a decent (but not too much) sealer before I put the had back on, after cleaning all the oil off the surface the plug made contact with. Your block should have a threaded plug there - but maybe it didn't get any sealer and/or didn't get tightened enough.

I was kidding (well kinda) about different heads. I'm sure that thing is plenty fast as it is. Just add a Whipple charger later if it needs more beans. :burnout:

Edited by pparaska

Pete, I'm way more focused on getting the car reliable than making more power. The heads I have are fine. I'm sure they're not the absolute most efficient, but they're fine enough to make decent power. I just want to get rid of the heavy wheels, the carb/intake, and get some serious time in the seat in this car.

Mike

I believe the Nissan pn is; 39741-17V85 and fits 90-96 Z32 300ZX and the q45 'repair seal' kit is 39741-17V86, can't remember if they are the same but suggest you hit your local dealer to check.

If my notes are correct each kit contains; boot, 2 clamps, snap ring and a tube of grease. Last time I checked retail $59.51, our dealer Z club price $44.63.

Dave If you have it, I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Mike

Been there too. If you can fit a deflector into the valve cover and have it TIG'd in place that might help. I didn't do it that way - I got a hold of some Mil-Spec RTV (Dow 3145 I think it was), and cleaned the cover and new grommet with acetone, then RTV'd the grommet in place. That fixed it.

Glad you won't have to pull the head!

Yes, They are non-functional bling. The owner had a guy hand make them and they do "look" great. However, there is almost NO suspension travel and as a matter of fact the drivers rear flare has a huge crack. I need to sit down with the owner and have a long discussion about what he wants to do with it because I've been sitting on this car, holding it for him for over 4 years. Time to poop or get off the pot.

Mike

Edited by Mikelly

I like the design of the look as well. Maybe pull a mold off them before you cut them off to make tire clearance adjustments underneath? You'd be saving the artwork and creating the rest of the flare "part" for a new flare that was designed with cutting back everything for clearance if they were installed. Maybe sell a few sets to recoup your investment of time and materials for creating the molds, etc.

Pete, You know how busy I am. I have zero time, desire, or want to do that. Further, it isn't even my car. My goal is to get it running and back home with Jim.

I am far more int eested in driving cars than building them!

Mike

Mike, understood - maybe have a good body shop do all or some of that (fixing Jim's car, and making copies of the flares if others are interested). You'd probably enjoy doing the mechanical work instead of the body work to get the car ready (for delivery to Jim) anyway.

I know what you mean about time, working on cars and driving them - I have trouble just getting time behind the wheel of my Z where I like to the most - on the track.

Yes, They are non-functional bling. The owner had a guy hand make them and they do "look" great. However, there is almost NO suspension travel and as a matter of fact the drivers rear flare has a huge crack. I need to sit down with the owner and have a long discussion about what he wants to do with it because I've been sitting on this car, holding it for him for over 4 years. Time to poop or get off the pot.

Mike

That's too bad. From that angle, at least, that's a great looking flare.

Do you think the design is terminally flawed, or is it that the original fenders weren't cut out beneath them for sufficient clearance, as you found with our flares?