HybridZ

Mike Kelly's Zcar Project

Actually, mine only has four lugs. Two 2 gauge battery and two for the alternator power *calls for 10 gauge wire. So I've bypassed the second set of lugs for the alternator and am temporarily running them with the relay for the starter.

Hoping this will get me thru the weekend. I leave tomorrow for the track.

Mike

ok.. I see your problem. There are 6 wires on this switch then. 2 main batt cables,a pair for IGN kill, and a pair for the alternator protection ground shunt through a resistor. You need to make sure you are using the correct terminals. DO NOT try to use the switch's small terminals for the ALT circuit. That is not at all what it is meant to do.

The IGN kill is N-O and the ALT protect is N-C, the main batt terminals are N-O. When the switch is ON the main and IGN are ON. When the switch is OFF the ALT protect is ON. It sounds like you have the ALTERNATOR wired thru the terminals meant for the IGN. That part of the contacts is 10AMPs MAX.. No way can that handle the ALT circuit.

And actually since my EFI ECU is on a separate circuit, I am now using it to kill spark. I'll buy a unit that also cuts spark to the coil and has the diode in line for the alternator, unless someone else has a better solution. I'm loaded up and ready to head out to the track. Should be leaving around 3:30PM.

Actually, mine only has four lugs. Two 2 gauge battery and two for the alternator power *calls for 10 gauge wire. So I've bypassed the second set of lugs for the alternator and am temporarily running them with the relay for the starter.

Hoping this will get me thru the weekend. I leave tomorrow for the track.

Mike

At the track, never guess who I ran into! Greg Ira, up from Florida. Was good hanging with him and giving him a ride around the course before his run group. I got good footage of my car on track, but there are till teething issues. Gauge wiring is grounding out and I have an oil pressure issue in corners. I will post video when I get back home. Not sure I will run today.

My student for the weekend is driving a 2001 911 turbo modified a lot like mine was. He suffered brake loss during a full course caution. Fortunately, we were going slow, or it could have ended badly!

Man what a hot weekend. Nothing like 105 degrees in nomex... Ugh. Anyway, I'm in the middle of editing some video footage, but I'll say this much... The car has a ton of potential. It has some more debugging, and will require a lot of attention in the wiring and oiling department. But damned that thing is fast. Going thru the traqmate footage and I was hitting over 130 mph with the hood off and short shifting at 5K...

Mike

SummitMainJuly2012.jpg

Pic Jon Felton (Director of NASA Florida Region) snapped of me this morning after a two lap run on cold hoosiers with the car as it sits. Ran a 1:26 (will post videos later) with it breaking down above 5K and a serious issue with crank case pressure, due to collectors leaking...

The aero is working with the car buttoned up, and the rear spoiler is functioning well. I hope Greg Ira pops in to comment. The car has tremendous bite exiting corners, but it does have a little bit of understeer we'll have to chase down. I'm picking up the inner front tire going thru corners, and that is a little bothersome. I'd prefer to keep the traction. Overall, even with the teething pains, this is the first weekend I've been able to truly drive the car at what I would consider "hard" conditions... 105 degrees ambient temps, and getting heat in the tires/brakes for more than a few laps. I think I ran a total of 20 laps, but still, it gave me enough impression to know that this is a 1:16 second car on Summit Main. Maybe a 2:00 car on VIR. It's that solid... I just need to finish debugging...

I'm soooo stoked.

Mike

Edited by Mikelly

Dave, I'd gone out one lap and had to come in due to the air duct on the left side of the intake box coming off. That box is going to have to be replaced. Anyway, it worked out so I had no traffic. The other two videos show me passing cars... Think I ran a total of 22 laps the whole weekend. Car really needs some de-bugging. Seems like every time I go out, I find something "new" and interesting. I inspected the car on the lift yesterday afternoon and the Mustache Bar Bushings are just shredded. Another thing for the "fix" list.

Nice! Sounds great Mike. Can't wait to see more. Looks like you had the track to yourself?

Dave

http://www.zccjdm.com/catalog.php/azcarbum/ct16933/FIBERGLASS_PARTS_

They gave me a great deal and after taking it off, remounting it and sealing it with silicone sealer, it is far stronger now! The car was rock solid stable running it all weekend.

That's a bad ass Z you've built Mike! If you don't mind me asking, where did you get that rear spoiler from?

Just cracked and "loose" from their housing... I'll be looking into solids, along with solid motor mounts.

By shred do you mean like disintegrated? That's amazing. Are they hyperflex ones or OEM or what? Time for some custom spin alu ones perhaps?

Dave

Dave, That was one of the fastest groups... It was the "Fast Solo Pass Anywhere Group"... The other clips were in the instructor group which is even faster. Every pass taken was safe and all drivers involved cooperated, which is what I'd expect from "advanced" drivers.

So after having a couple days to think about the past weekend, and having had time to examine the footage and the data logs from the traqmate, I'm starting a new "punch" list:

1. Exhaust make over - Get rid of the 3 bolt gasketed deal so I can guarantee a solid seal.

2. Instal a vacuum port on the oil evac cannister like BJ Hines did - Need to confirm the components are sealing properly.

3. Sell my 2 quart pre-luber accusump and buy a 3 quart functional race unit.

4. Pull all the wire associated with the "painless" panel and harness and start from scratch, only wiring circuits I need.

5. Upgrade all of the battery feeds to "0" gauge, including the grounds. I think the system has a mix of 2,1,0 components right now.

6. Ditch the Autometer gauges and instal the FAST integrated Logger/display.

7. Instal solid bushings in mustache bar and motor mounts

8. Instal sectioned front strut tubes. I need the nose about 1.5 inches lower.

All in all the car was very stable from a suspension and braking standpoint. The Mustang Cobra Caliper/rotor combo and Hawk pads performed flawlessly. The chassis is so rigid that the inner front tire was being picked up thru most of the corners. However, Greg Ira and I both noticed the understeer. I need to dial it out. Not bad, but it's there. The aerodynamics functioned as expected and even with the hood off, the car would push thru the wind right up until it hit the ignition break-down point. I do want to section the spare strut tubes I have so I can gain more adjustment up front. I think the additional rake would make a huge difference. Right now the car sits with the rear slightly lower.

I think I've fallen in love with this b!tch all over again.

Mike

Edited by Mikelly

While at the shop making a list of things to order, I noticed the windshield has a nice horseshoe shaped crack at the base in the center. Guess the car is flexing enough that it cracked a new windshield? Didn't take any impacts. I find this odd since the A-Pillars and roof have gusset plates welded in, and the firewall ties intot the cage with horizontal footers. Since I'm removing the dash and installing new wiring, I'm thinking maybe we'll weld in a center brace to the trans tunnel and firewall at the center.

Ordering the following today:

Mustache bar bushings

140 Amp Alternator

Prothane Motor mounts

Ron Frances 10 terminal Junction Block

7 circuit fuse block

I'm sure there's something I'm missing...

Mike

Edited by Mikelly