HybridZ

Mike Kelly's Zcar Project

I run the same Fuel safe box with an external Bosch pump. I forgot to add gas before a practice session at Atlanta and ran out on track. I was able to limp a half lap back to pits. There was less than 1/4" of gas left in bottom of cell. It works great.

So as of right now I need to loctite the header bolts, instal a one-touch button and light for my GoPro HD setup so I don't have to worry about missing recording footage in the future. And I need to do an alignment on the car.

12 days till the track!

Checked the fuel system today and all was well after a few minor tweeks to a couple fittings. The car actually idles better... Very happy with the overhaul. Total investment of $612!

So later this week I'll start the whole "suspension re-alignment"!

Mike

Did the header bolt loc-tite last evening. Will start the alignment tomorrow morning and hopefully wrap that up along with the wiring of the one touch camera button/light combo, mount some stops on the rear hatch so the wing doesn't hit the bodywork anymore, and address a slight oil leak in the remote filter/plumbing. That will be it and I'll be prepared for next weekend... Hope we get some relief by the morning of the 7th... Gonna be Hoooooot!

On another note, I just picked up the Gt3 this afternoon from having the car "mostly" covered in 3M clear coating. The installer did an amazing job. Only parts left un-exposed are the doors and the top of the rear fenders, and the rear decklid. He surprised me with the whole roof, most of the rear bumper, and the whole rear spoiler surface being covered, along with the whole front clip, the A-pillars, mirrors, spoiler uprights and the rockers!

Mike

Alignment is done and the wiring for the one-touch setup for the go-pro is done as well. Chsing down the oil leak in the remote filter/hoses now...

Mike

Hey Mike I just got the one touch "Blue Tooth" device for the go pro as well. Funny how we were just makin fun of how we forget to turn it on or cant reach it once were buckled in and if its in the right mode etc... This device should help matters. Were you aware that it has a downloadable piece of software that uses the blue tooth technology and you can send the footage instantly to your smartphone or wi fi device and watch the playback. Sorta cool.......

I'm in the process of installing Trans and Diff coolers and hooking up all the AIM data stuff I hadn't done yet. I also got the smarty cam that integrates with the data and automatically overlays the video. Thats for those of us that are challenged in the editing dept....

Theres a Road Atlanta NASA event I'm doing in August. Why dont you come down??? If its 110 degrees today outside I wonder what the cockpit temp is gonna be in August?

Matt

Matt, Mine is the hardwired version, because I have the first gen HDpro. It would be slick to have the bluetooth version. I did have to update my firmware though. Give me the exact dates for the event. Sad to say, but I need to join NASA. Haven't run with them at all...

Had someone ping me offline so I'll post the specs here...

I'm running Hoosier R6s right now, but I have some NITO NT01s in the trailer if these cook off. The suspension is set to 3.0 negative camber up front, and zero toe. In the rear I'm running 2.5 negative camber and about 4mm in on toe. Caster is limited to clearing the body work. Those 10.5 inch wide front wheels with 275-35-18s really take up a lot of space. But milling down the front hubs so the wheel sits properly on them wthout spacers got me an additional INCH of forward adjustment back. I still am not running a rear swaybar, but am running a large 1 1/8th front swaybar. Also have the Koni 8610s set to about 50% front and rear... Will actually start dialing in the shocks this coming weekend.

Mike

Edited by Mikelly

It appears the oil leak in the remote filter block/plumbing is fixed. No evidence of oil leaks today...

On a side note, We really got lucky at my place... Those of you on the east coast know about the storms that hit our region on Friday night. Those of you who have been to my house know that we live in the middle of a dense forest within the Wilderness National Battlefield. We had no tree damage to any of our realestate or personal property. I did have lots of downed branches and deposited debris in the lawns, but otherwise zero damage... Many of my neighbors are not so lucky, and the region is suffering from the third largest power outage in history. Pretty significant damage throughout the area.

Mike

Wrapped up the rear hatch stops and adding some sylicone sealer under the rear hatch/spoiler mount today. Also adjusted the latch mechanism. I'm going to have to invest in a cable swedge tool/lead swedges. Current method has interference issues when the cable is trapped under the hatch.

I'm planning on going to VIR August 27-28 if anyone else would like to hook up. It's thru www.trackdaze.come. They're a very relaxed "chill" group to run with.

Mike

I completed the punchlist yesterday, took the car off the lift and drove it only to find that there is still an driver's side exhaust leak under load, and it sounds like it is at the header. I also had another issue crop up. The master power switch is getting HOT to the touch. Going to tear into that this morning, and then see if the local PepBoys is open so I can run and grab an exhaust manifold gasket. I have a Percy's on it now, which is supposed to be re-usable. But something is amiss... The electrical issue is really puzzling.

Mike

So I've gotten everything buttoned up, although the master switch is still warm to the touch. May pick one up tomorrow and instal it. A lug of the battery post would arc at the alternator post on the back of the switch when the switch was thrown to the on position... You couldn't see or hear any issue because where it is located. Wondering if the lugs for the alternator side of the switch got damaged.

Got the car washed up and will buy and install the switch tomorrow, and get everything loaded up and ready for Saturday's outing. I'll be sure and have video running. Going to be 100 degrees on Saturday. If the car can handle this heat, it can handle anything. Question is can I...

92f3e656.jpg

Edited by Mikelly

Running. I may bipass the switch altogether for the alternator and see if it the wire gets hot. It's a pass-thru that is supposed to stop run-on. We'll see...

Mike

What condition makes the lugs hot... ???Just being ON.. not running at all???

Edited by Mikelly

ok.. I see your problem. There are 6 wires on this switch then. 2 main batt cables,a pair for IGN kill, and a pair for the alternator protection ground shunt through a resistor. You need to make sure you are using the correct terminals. DO NOT try to use the switch's small terminals for the ALT circuit. That is not at all what it is meant to do.

The IGN kill is N-O and the ALT protect is N-C, the main batt terminals are N-O. When the switch is ON the main and IGN are ON. When the switch is OFF the ALT protect is ON. It sounds like you have the ALTERNATOR wired thru the terminals meant for the IGN. That part of the contacts is 10AMPs MAX.. No way can that handle the ALT circuit.

Edited by bjhines