HybridZ

Botched Paint Job...anyone want a job?

datsun40146

Hi Hybridz, I'm from Ky and am currently in lexington at UK. Over the summer I took a internship with Consol Energy. I was working on the zcar at the time and wanted it done when I got back from my summer job. I already has ALL the metal work done, and most of the body roughed in. I took the car to a older gentleman who was a retired body shop owner. I quoted me 1,000 plus materials to get my car under primer and paint. Well I bought the the 400 dollars worth of materials and dropped them off. I stopped by a few times to check up on the car and see what kind of work he was doing, everything seemed fine. Our agreement was 500 when the body was done and 500 when the paint was done. I paid him the 500 for the body already. Here is the problem. I went to get the car and the paint he shot on the hatch and fenders lifted. It wrinlked for you non-body guys out there. Thats not all when I looked at the car the body line was wavy from where he went over it with a DA and there was still a few dings in the rear quater, there were sand marks in the paint, really I don't think he blocked the car at all. Also the lower drivers side fender still needed work. At least he didn't waste me clear coat. Anyway so here is the problem I will not be paying him and he WILL be replacing the materials he wasted. That was expensive paint and I bought all the brands he told me to. Do you guys think that it fair for me not to pay him and to ask for my materials back? I got another quote from a body shop. They said that b/c of the lifted paint it could be as much as 2k to fix it. What do you guys think? I have 1000 USD and the materials, does anyone want a job? To finish this car?

No I meant to, but my camera died. There is a canalope sized lifted area on the hatch

2.Light lifted / wrinkled on the fenders forward the inspection lids.

3. The body line on both sides is no longer strait. When I dropped that car off you could run a string line down that sucker.

4.Dings in and low areas being the quater emblem on the drivers side.

5.Dirt in the paint on the roof, might color sand out.

6.Didn't paint the hood hinges

Thats all I can think of right now.

Since the paint lifted it makes me think that he painted over old paint that was not compatable with the new. For the price of $1000 plus materials I would have expected him to strip off the old paint, apply bondo and prep as needed then spray a quality paint job on the car. Also for $1000 I would not expect him to block the car, do extensive body work or rust repair nor would I expect him to provide a show quality paint job. Even a pro with all the right tools and the right facilities would not be able to break even by only charging $1000 to do a job that would include block sanding and a paint job that shows the value of block sanding.

With that said he should have made good on the expectations of a $1000 paint job, you could have gotten a better job done for $599 at local volume car repair and paint place. I personaly would not ask for the money back on the product he used although I would ask for all the remaining product back, but I also would not pay him the remainder of the money unless he is willing to make it right for you at no additional cost and you not paying untill you are satisfied. Just remember that $1000 is about 12 hours worth of work in that area of work so you need to adjust your "satisfied" meter accordingly.

Dragonfly

• 2 weeks later...

Quit while your ahead. Get the car back in your possession and call it a lesson learned.

Since the car was stripped to bare metal , you have lifting issues and poor body work. Its apparent that the retiree doens't understand , or is incapable of performing the work properly.

You'll need to start all over again from bare to overcome the missteps. Any expense or work other wise is just more wasted money and effort.

A thousand dollars was way below the market for this type of work . We're currently doing a LS1 conversion with some custom metal body modifications in our shop . With a complete strip to bare metal (in and out ) the refinishing cost is well over 10k without any body work . I know this may not be in your budget range but only mention for reference. There is a tremendous amount of time to correctly prepare the car for paint application and it is directly responsible for the longevity and appearance of the overall quality of the repaint.

Hope things work out for you.

Drop a note if you need any further info or help

Larry

Cannot add anything to paint issue but as a 1983 UK grad can you get them winning on the basketball court for me. It hurts to see them play as horribly as they do now.

Next time I make it back up I will try to hook up with the L-ville Z guys.

Tom

That moron doesn't know a damn thing about paint. How the hell is he an "ex body man"?

I have seen something similar from an "ex body man". We assume that they were "exed" due to retirement. I have a feeling he was "ex" from a body job he had 50 years ago in high-school.

It is one thing to ask for a 12-hour paint job. But for him to waste materials due to complete ignorance is all on him. I would make him soda blast it again.

Thanks for the responses guys. frist of all UK is doing JUST fine thank you. We just won playing georgia, and our record is not bad for having a brand new coach and young players. Give Gillipse (sp) a year or two he will turn that system around.

As far as the paint is concerned, I have the car back and he offered a refund of the money I had paid already and to refund the cost of the materials he wasted. I am going to sand down the car, re-primer it, and shoot it myself this time. The only problem is that it will take me forever to do it being in school most of the time. Such is life...

Thanks for the responses guys. frist of all UK is doing JUST fine thank you. We just won playing georgia, and our record is not bad for having a brand new coach and young players. Give Gillipse (sp) a year or two he will turn that system around.

As far as the paint is concerned, I have the car back and he offered a refund of the money I had paid already and to refund the cost of the materials he wasted. I am going to sand down the car, re-primer it, and shoot it myself this time. The only problem is that it will take me forever to do it being in school most of the time. Such is life...

Well I guess being patient is a good thing. Most people that paint by themselves tend to get impatient (myself included, and I'm no body guy).

Plenty of resources here, just have to search.