HybridZ

New side exhaust/straight pipe

EMWHYR0HEN

In my attemps to lighten the car some more I tossed my old exhaust system and made this one which weighs 12 LBS and 1/3 the length.

It's just two 1 3/4'' mandrel bends that come into a 2 1/2 in/out x 18'' glass pack.

Finished it by cutting a hole in the fender and covering it with some aluminum.

So... Does it flow with the body?

IMG_0582.JPG

IMG_0585.JPG

IMG_0587.JPG

IMG_0589.JPG

IMG_0591.JPG

Looks okay to me. Curious to how fumes would be. My thought was to run it a tad longer, muffler under the drive shaft and then bend it out to the passanger side right behind the rear door. But make the pipe big and flat like the NASCAR style.

Is this a track car only?

I'd be somewhat worried about a lack in torque. I drove my Z with just an open header and it had almost no power at all! later that day with the exhaust mouted it had all of its torque back...

I do like the exhaust though. I have been considering having a wastegate exhaust right there.

I'd be somewhat worried about a lack in torque. I drove my Z with just an open header and it had almost no power at all! later that day with the exhaust mouted it had all of its torque back...

I do like the exhaust though. I have been considering having a wastegate exhaust right there.

I'd bet most of the extra torque you felt was due to the backpressure created by the muffler, he's running a muffler(well, glasspack), so I'd think he'd be fine in that regard.

Damn Myron that looks awesome! My only comment would be a little heat shielding around it might be the go. Gunna get hot on the track and its not far from the tyre, esp if you're still running bushes in the castor rod/chassis mount (which flex).

Can't wait to see her in real life again soon.

Dave

Thanks for the compliments!

- Dave, the muffler heating the tire is my main concern. I'll probably just wrap it again with better heat sheilding.

-Hanson, I know what you talking about. I actually wanted to do that at first towards the rear of the rocker, but didn't want a hole there so straight through the fender it went. There's only so much room to play with because of the wheel turning and all.

Heres a little sound bit I recoreded today. It's loud, so for my neighbors sake I only reved it to 5k max.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyVR8y8Z7LI

Looks badass I'm considering doing this on each side for my VQ.

Whatsup with your t/c box though thats looking kinda iffy?

I say do it! Most people don't see it, but there is hardly any room there esp with t/c area enclosed.

speaking of the t/c area..

I already went over kill with .125'' tubing for the frame rails. The way I see it is what's some sheetmetal going to do for the t/c area that's already boxed with beefy metal.

something in my mind tells me it's not worth the weight. I'd sure put a diagonal inside before I enclosed it with sheet, plus I already made my exhaust! :D

Myron,

I think it would gain significantly in strength if you boxed in even one side and just cut a hole for the exhaust where it needed it.

Either that or triangulate the innermost corner of the tc box back to the frame rail with some flat. In terms of weight, surely an extra lb is better than the front of your car crumbling in on itself and sending you off into the undergrowth?

Also, I was wondering if you'd have time sometime in the coming months to help me out with sectioning my struts, and relocating front suspension pivot points? :D

Dave