HybridZ

Brandnew Front strut bar and Roll bar, finally...(plenty-o-pics)

Yorgee

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It isn't a factor of the welds breaking. The welds are VERY strong. The problem is the heat affected zone(or HAZ) which is where the base material is reduced in strength.

The combination of a very hard area of metal(the weld) next to a weakened area(the HAZ) will cause any break to happen inside the HAZ.

For the sake of argument, what if the entire thing was heat treated to relieve stress? Not really practical, but theoretically it should negate any advantage of a single piece, right?

For the sake of argument, what if the entire thing was heat treated to relieve stress? Not really practical, but theoretically it should negate any advantage of a single piece, right?

Yes, heat treating (annealing) would releave some stress in the HAZ. There are hand coils made for tube welds (think hand-held kiln) that would suffice when an autoclave large enough for the roll bar cannot be found.

After it's annealed would you need to harden and temper it to gain some rigidity back? I know being a low carbon steel the strength-brittleness trade off is minimal but maybe try for a spring temper?

IIRC, letting the anneal cool at room temp (no quench) is the "usual" way to retain the reduced stress, but keep the strength; Annealing in this case is the "temper".

John C, do you know of other heat treatment for roll cages?

Shift,

From SCCA rulebook:

Seamless or DOM (recommended 1020 or 1025) mild steel tubing or 4130 cro-mo must be used for all roll cage structure.

Cars weighing between 1701-2699 lbs w/ driver must use a minimum of 1.500 x .095 in.

Main Hoop... The roll cage must attach to the vehicle structure(FLOOR PAN/ROCKER BOX) within the passenger compartment....

John C, do you know of other heat treatment for roll cages?

No. With 4130 tubing sometimes the joints are normalized.

Cars weighing between 1701-2699 lbs w/ driver must use a minimum of 1.500 x .095 in.

Which SCCA rule book did you get this from? SCCA roll bar tubing requirements are much more specific then that are are unique to each category (IT, SS, Production, GT, etc.) Anyone building a cage for their car must get a copy of the SCCA GCR. Its free and its here:

http://www.scca.org/documents/Club%20Rules/GCR2008.pdf

John,

I got it from the very rulebook that you posted the link to (the one I deal with on a dialy basis building rollcages with). If you have kept up with the GCR, they(SCCA) have set cage material to one set of specs. So whether it is an IT car or my GT car or a prod car, all production based cars get the same set of rules for tubing sizes. The benefits of cro-mo versus mild steel has been erased, due to the fact that they (SCCA) relied on people proving, usually with receipts, that their cage was built with cro-mo.Just different attaching points etc.

If you have kept up with the GCR, they(SCCA) have set cage material to one set of specs.

You're right. I had only given the 2008 GCR a quick glance and assumed that 9.4 applied to GT and Production cars only. I missed the "Production Based" reference. They still include the old Section 18 as Appendix G but its just for grandfathering cars from before 1/1/08. Thanks for updating me.

John,

Ya its been like a giant soap opera getting things normallized. The Z in IT trim had( last year) a minimum tubing of 1.75x .095 or 1.5x.120 (whether mild or cro-mo) but then in Prod it was 1.50x.095 in mild steel or 1.375x .095 in cro-mo(with proof?? that its cro-mo). Kinda made moving a car up and not getting killed on weight an impossibility. Or you could just gut that 1 or 2 year old cage out and build a new one!! Not a bad idea for my business!!

• 1 month later...

'Yorgee' you might consider checking Chris Allston's Chassisworks in CA. They make ALOT of structural components for NHRA and the like. They make a custom bent main hoop for the '70-'78 Z car, and you can add-on from there. It also makes it possible to add-on in the future, when a budget might permit [e.g. going from an initial four point to an eight or six point]. Once you find their website, start with part number 7000, and go from there. I got my plates, tubes, and gussets, along with removable harness bar for under $300.

The 'kit' will require cutting and forming 'birds mouths'; but, it is an alternative...

Actually, when you order it, they ask what vehicle it will be used in, and make the main hoop from CAD [?] program to fit, perfectly, the dimensions of the interior. The other pieces are generic; but, the main hoop is the most important, AND the most aesthetically obvious part.