HybridZ

MOOG T/C bushings

I went to the local parts place to purchase some strut-rod bushings (T/C bushings) for an S30. The counter guy said he'd have them by the end of the day and cost was $15 (sounded good...but...$15?). "Are you sure you have the right part?". Anyway, I go back yesterday afternoon to pick them up, and see the familiar blue and yellow MOOG box, and think, "good, these are the same good bushings I installed years ago. I open the box, and these strut-rod bushings look like they've been in the movie "Honey, I shrunk the kids". They are 2" in diameter and look like a miniature bushing set. I suppose that's why they were so cheap. They actually will bolt onto the car, but I don't like the reduction in bushing area used to support braking compression, so I've left them off. No, I'm not wanting to use any polyurethane bushings.

Question: Has anybody recently gotten a good pair locally without ordering out?

I'm enjoying the street ride at the present time, and until the money gets green enough to purchase another truck and trailer, I'll have to be happy with that. If I see a time when I can get it back on the track, there are all kinds of things I've got stowed away for that.

keep in mind it's the washer backing up the bushings that keeps things from going horriblem wrong, and if memory serves it's smaller in diameter thant he stock bushings, if the buching is larger than the washer the extra diameter will do nothing for you, going on memory with relation to size

The large cupped washers on either side of the bushings are 2 3/4" in diameter, which is the same as the bushings behind (between) them. The two issues I have are:

1) Using the smaller ones means the same forces are being applied to a smaller area (just over 1/2 the area of the OEM size). This means the amount of deflection and give is going to increase for the same force applied.

2) The OEM bushings fit into a "dish" in the boss holding these bushings, and this dish is the diameter of the OEM bushing, not the smaller one. This means there is no positive lateral control of the bushing other than the compression provided when the large washers squeeze the bushings together. (This diagram is based on memory and not me looking at the set-up).

standard.jpg

I'm going to revisit the rod-end option one more time before I go further. I've got one more set of bushings headed my way to see if this change is more pervasive then MOOG.

I suppose if you were to look at it from a "half full" perspective. the ride may be a little softer with more compliance in the bushing than the OEM size (great for those stung by the Polyurethane/TC rod failure issue). Obviously compound plays in here as well, but I've no set-up to test it, nor do I care to spend the time to find out.

Hi Terry,

I had bad vibes (hahahaha) from POLY T-C bushings in my Mustang, so I replaced them with rubber and went with rubber in the Z. 1013850-1.jpg

I can't recall the brand (Beck / Arnley perhaps) I bought "Stock" rubber bushings from Black Dragon, about 5 years ago. They were exactly the same size as the 25+ year old originals.

Their current prices are $30 for rubber, ($35 for poly.)

PartsAmerica (local to me Advance Auto parts) lists 3 manufacturers, no MOOG:

Beck / Arnley pn#1013850 $3.44 ea.

TRW pn#HB1175 $3.88 ea.

McQuay - Norris pn#FA1317 $8.99 set of 4.

Rubber set is $20-$25 on EBAY:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-240z-260z-280z-Front-Tension-Rod-Bushings-NEW_W0QQitemZ220204852802QQihZ012QQcategoryZ6763QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Hmmm.... The Beck Arnley arrived, and they are exactly like the MOOG bushing except they are softer and resemble more of a silicone material than the harder rubber of the MOOG.

Correction to the drawing previously posted. These newer bushings will fit in the recessed area correctly, but again the portion used to support and dampen the compressive forces is smaller than the OEM bushings.

I may go ahead and use these new smaller ones.

Pennyman. When you say they seem to work better than the original large ones, can you be more specific? In what way do they seem better (better ride, control, installation, etc)?