HybridZ

Experimental project underway

Mauisnow13

I traded my cousin my turbocharger. I haven't decided whether I'll take his phone for it, or possibly a BOV.

Anyways, here's the deal. We are using the turbocharger to turbo his Ford Bronco. He's done this before so it's nothing new, but there's a twist. We are setting up the turbo as a self-supporting turbo. No exhaust will be used.

The intake will be hooked up to the compressor inlet, as normal. The compressor discharge will have a U-bend tube connecting it back to the turbine exhaust inlet. The turbine exhaust outlet will go into the engine. We're hoping the suction of the engine will start to spool the turbo, and the air passing the turbine will then begin helping the turbo to spool faster.

We tried this theory out by sucking the turbine exhaust outlet with a shop-vac. It began to spin then started spooling up off itself, so we think this will work.

I'll update with results and pics of the completed setup.

Conservation of momentum makes me think otherwise...

The only way that would work IMO is if it had a flywheel to maintain the momentum when the engine is not pulling vacuum... but the boost wouldn't last long... and the vacum to get a gainable flywheel spinning probably doesn't exist. Sounds like it'll do worse than one of those electric turbos to me.

Still interested in seeing the outcome though. Good luck!

Ya, we aren't sure, but who knows. It spooled up actually pretty high of the vac, surprisingly. Plus, he isn't looking for TONS more power, just a cheap and easy way to have fun. It's just kind of a cheap experiment for both of us. Most likely won't work, but hey, then we'll just set it up normally.

Doesn't really matter about the outcome. We're just doing it for kicks.

this sounds like the "DEI" system i saw a guy design for a corvette...

have you taken a physics class before? If you are interested in designing your own innovative turbo setup, you should really get the book Maximum Boost by Corky Bell, or Turbochargers by Hugh McHines (sp?). really good info for everyone from beginners to the old veteran..

McInnes. ;)

Yep not expecting much of anything from this other than "hey guys it didn't work".

the basic design of a turbo says it won't work.

One side, the turbine, drives a shaft that spins another wheel in another housing to move air at a high velocity. When you connect these two ends, all you have the limitations of what one end will flow before it impedes the other.

yeah, i'm not sure if it would work.

what I wanted to do, was take 2 of the same model turbos from a junkyard, and build a twin turbine engine, in a mutual relationship. instead of the combustion chamber being in between intake 1 and exhaust 1 (like normal, intake goes to combution, spins exhaust to spin intake, it would be like this

intake 1 to exhaust 2 exhaust 2 spins intake 2, which goes to exhaust 1.

so the power produced by intake one would spin up the other turbine, and the power produced by intake 2 would spin up the 1st turbine. starting it should only take a leaf blower into one intake, since once the combustion starts it would be self supporting. Doubt it would have good respons, but it would look kick ass.

I see how your idea works, but it can only spool up so high before the vacuum stops doing anything. it would require some sort of flywheel for it to keep spinning, so spooling it up in the first place to a useable level would be difficult.

It wasn't really my idea. haha. It was my cousins. Like I said, we don't expect this to work. Just having fun in our spare time. Just to see what happens sorta thing. hahaha.

When it doesn't work, we'll just reroute it to normal. I was thinking the same thing about the vacuum only pulling so much. Then it would stop gaining speed and just kinda spin. OH WELL! It's not going on my car. It's more his project than mine. I just posted it up here to see what you all would say. And you said just wat I thought you would. hahaha

yeah, i'm not sure if it would work.

what I wanted to do, was take 2 of the same model turbos from a junkyard, and build a twin turbine engine, in a mutual relationship. instead of the combustion chamber being in between intake 1 and exhaust 1 (like normal, intake goes to combution, spins exhaust to spin intake, it would be like this

intake 1 to exhaust 2 exhaust 2 spins intake 2, which goes to exhaust 1.

so the power produced by intake one would spin up the other turbine, and the power produced by intake 2 would spin up the 1st turbine. starting it should only take a leaf blower into one intake, since once the combustion starts it would be self supporting. Doubt it would have good respons, but it would look kick ass.

I see how your idea works, but it can only spool up so high before the vacuum stops doing anything. it would require some sort of flywheel for it to keep spinning, so spooling it up in the first place to a useable level would be difficult.

That sounds very close to a jet turbine, which requires a combustion chamber for fuel and air to be ignited to drive the turbine.

Without fuel, and a combustion process, there is no power released to be used by the turbine to produce momentum of the shaft to be used by the comprrssor wheel (and housing) to move and compress air.

Are we going for an Epic Fail here? Internet Icon thread?

• Administrators

Sure it’ll spin, maybe even make noise, but wont produce boost at the back of the valves. Manifold pressure after the Turbo will be less than it used to be at WOT, as the incoming air flow is dissipating some of its energy to spin this thing now, not taken advantage of the heat, sound, and pressure energy of the exhaust... faint.gif

Stage I; For that Turbocharger whine sound, hook the turbine section the tip of the exhaust pipe…

Stage II; With lots of 2 ½” or 3” PVC, and Stage I complete, you could use the compressor side to actually boost the intake!!! Hmmm… sherlock.gif

I traded my cousin my turbocharger…

Stage III; Cousin must be “uber hotocchidolci.gif to trade a Turbo for… laugh.giflaugh.gif

That sounds very close to a jet turbine, which requires a combustion chamber for fuel and air to be ignited to drive the turbine.

Without fuel, and a combustion process, there is no power released to be used by the turbine to produce momentum of the shaft to be used by the comprrssor wheel (and housing) to move and compress air.

Are we going for an Epic Fail here? Internet Icon thread?

it's the same as a normal jet turbine, except the combustion chamber is a seperate chamber from the main area. It works on the same principles as a normal turbine engine. But instead of using a single turbocharger, I want to use 2 and have the combustion chambers linking them together in an X

so it's like this

1I / 2I

1E/ 2E

just cause I haven't seen it done. Of course I have neither the tools or money to make it so for now it's just a lot of writing all over some paper and mspaint images.

The combustion chambers will run propane for fuel (was thinking of using kerosene, but propane works better since it's already in a vapor state)

making the flame holders though will be a bit tricky, since I'm not sure exactly how to design them. Trial/error will probably make the best design though. Ignition of the fuel on startup is easy though. a couple spark plugs hooked to a coil, then once the flame stabalizes it'll run like a normal jet turbine (but in a weird sort of way since the turbines are independent from one another or whatever)

Errmm....sorry for the threadjacking

Hahaha. Braap, I dunno about you but I'm not into inbred stuff OR gay stuff......

And to dr_hunt, hasn't this thread put up a good discussion. Pretty much all of it saying I'm insanely stupid, but still a lot of posts saying it! hahaha. Well, he's gonna tube it up just for fun and see what happens. Once again, not my project or my car. I'll just drop an L28et in. I'm sure THAT WILL work. hahahahaha

it's the same as a normal jet turbine, except the combustion chamber is a seperate chamber from the main area. It works on the same principles as a normal turbine engine. But instead of using a single turbocharger, I want to use 2 and have the combustion chambers linking them together in an X

so it's like this

1I / 2I

1E/ 2E

just cause I haven't seen it done. Of course I have neither the tools or money to make it so for now it's just a lot of writing all over some paper and mspaint images.

The combustion chambers will run propane for fuel (was thinking of using kerosene, but propane works better since it's already in a vapor state)

making the flame holders though will be a bit tricky, since I'm not sure exactly how to design them. Trial/error will probably make the best design though. Ignition of the fuel on startup is easy though. a couple spark plugs hooked to a coil, then once the flame stabalizes it'll run like a normal jet turbine (but in a weird sort of way since the turbines are independent from one another or whatever)

Errmm....sorry for the threadjacking

So it's two turbos sharing a common combustion chamber? That wasn't what it sounded like to me originally.

Yeah it's been done, search on you tube for "twin jet turbine" or something like that. I've seen plans for upto 6 in a radial design.

I called it! the DEI could work with this i think...

your 2 turbo jet engine would be really unstable with it constantly feeding itself, it would be like plugging an extension cord into itself...you will have a massive chain reaction waiting to happen!

no but seriously...

with the compressors routed to the turbines and vice versa, where would the intake air come from? or for that matter the burnt exhaust gasses? if its sealed then it would just blow up and can cause shrapnel flying, depending on how the tubes are hooked up (welded, bolted)...

i hope i am mis-interpreting your alphanumeric sketch. maybe scan a drawing or a detailed "MS Paint" picture?