HybridZ

Free-Floating Hub For Towing

Back in the days when racers could not afford expensive trailers and tow rigs, they flat-towed their race cars and used free-floating hubs on the rear wheels. With these hubs, you removed the rear wheel/tires and bolted up these hubs to the wheel studs, then bolted up a pair of "normal" wheels/tires to the hubs. With such, the auto tranny could be left in park without concern for damage.

IIRC, the popular hub was made by NMW, but I cannot find anything about them. Anyone remember these hubs and have any idea if such things are still available on the market?

Scotty,

My best friend's family runs an RV repair place. From talking to him, I know that there are a number of people that buy their "chase" cars with have the capability to be towed flat and not be damaged. (His family buys Saturns exclusively because of this.) For those that have chase cars that cannot be safely towed, I'm sure they would have an idea or two on how to do what you are looking for. My advice is to get out your local yellow pages and call an RV repair shop or supply center.

Just My $0.02

Jay

what about a modern bearing assy? I replaced a bearing assy on my fathers 2000 DTS, it had a backing plate that attached to the hub and then it had the wheel studs and mounting face, you could pretty easilly adapt a pair of hub assy's from some modern car and make an adapter plate to bolt to your cars lugs

and I assume leaving the car in neutral and running an electric trans pump like those who flat tow is out for some reason?

Just buy a set of "spinner" wheels, weld studs onto the outer spinner, mount a wheel and tire combo and you're set. :D

You are a riot.

My plans are to tow my car with a tow dolly, front wheels up. Removing my driveshaft is not an option. I am negotiating to buy an LS1/T56 2000 S-10 or build one with a 5.3L or 6.0L if the deal falls through. That is as big a truck as I will ever own and more than enough to haul the dolly with elec-brakes on the dolly.

Bottom line is, I want to tow my car but do not want a monster truck and trailer.

I will talk to RV shops and see what ideas they have.

Name a rear wheel drive Saturn that is used as a chase vehicle.

Warren,

My friend's parents currently tow/use an LS1. I thought from your question that maybe I was off base so... I googled for a little support other than my experience.

http://resources.myrvnetwork.com/articles/saturn_as_a_tow_vehicle.php

http://www.rvweb.net/tech_lib/saturn.html

http://www.wolfswords.com/motorhome/saturn.html

Just my $0.02 and I am NOT an RVer so I may have gotten my terms incorrect.

Jay

Blairjj,

I wasn't referring so much to the Saturn not being towable...in fact, it's one of the few cars that truly IS towable because of the pump being located where it is.

My inference was more that Scottie isn't running a Saturn rear end or tranny, and doubt very seriously he would ever consider doing that.

Now that I go back and look at my post above, I apparently hit enter Subnit too soon... The end of the statement should have been: that Scottie would be possible to retrofit parts from to put on his car that would enable him to do the same. It's very unlikely that it's possible at all.

Sorry, I'll have to double check my posts more carefully next time.

Scottie: you could always tow it with the rear wheels on the dolly, steering locked and hope you don't run across any road kill that would rip the whole front end off of the car... :)

Warren

When my parents had a 35' Foretravel motorhome (440 turbo), they towed a '72 Olds 98 behind it. My dad took the car to the driveshaft shop and had a device added to the driveshaft that would uncouple it - we had to crawl under the car and twist it to disengage/engage the driveshaft as the need arose to tow/drive the car.

They drove all over the country towing the 98 with no ill effects and the process took only about 1 minute to allow for the driveshaft to freewheel.

That is an excellent question. If the rear wheels are turning, so is the driveshaft, so is the tranny tailshaft and therefore internal components are also turning without the pump feeding those components fluid. In my mind I am thinking there will always be some fluid on those components, but I have never seen anyone say it is OK to do it. MOF, the experts say DO NOT do it.

Since most of the fluid will remain in the pan, the fluid that IS on those parts that would be moving will COKE, then SMOKE, then your transmission will be BROKE. (couldn't resist the rhyme). Lack of circulation of the fluid won't transfer heat OUT of the tranny.

Having seen what's inside an automatic tranny (as I rebuilt my 2004R myself), and admittingly NOT being anywhere near an "expert", I can't help but agree with them...DON'T do it.