HybridZ

JDM Light covers NEW reproduction on e-Bay

My 78 Fairlady Z head light buckets have the tabs for those types of covers. When I aquired it, the light covers were missing. The buckets are collecting dust in the attic as mine will be getting a G Nose.

Tabs for what kind of covers? I'm certain those there don't use tabs. The metal ring is what holds those style on...

Looks as though the screws are the only thing missing.

I have seen the G-nose covers sell cheaper than the regular, but they could not confirm if they were actual Nissan products.

Brian had a set on here the (g-nose) covers for $550 I think. Cheaper than the regular covers.....for now.

Clive

I asked the seller a question about the hardware and he seems a bit dense! Short and rude response...I had to ask another question and he still didnt take the time to respond properly. I cant confirm what hardware is missing and he is answering in two words.

On another note I checked his selling history and he has sold one other set...he may have more?

But I dont get the warm and fuzzy based on his replies.

That guy has outbid me on several tasty bits in the past...

I wonder where he's sourcing the replicas. Or if they are real Nissan Pieces... I have seen people call the stainless trims 'chrome' more than once.

For under $200, they are a decent deal for someone that wants OEM look covers. The brackets are easy enough to make...

I asked the seller a question about the hardware and he seems a bit dense! Short and rude response...I had to ask another question and he still didnt take the time to respond properly. I cant confirm what hardware is missing and he is answering in two words.

He is not "dense", I can tell you. I've met the seller ( a very nice, polite and honest person ) and can tell you that he has a very good reputation. He runs a company called 'Datsun Spirit' ( look it up ) and his eBay feedback of 100% positive on over 600 transactions is a pretty good indicator of other people having the same experience as me.

What do you need to know about the original factory hardware for this type of cover? The auction states that no hardware is supplied with them, and this thread has pictures of what is missing. The original hardware is hardly high tech stuff, and you could do a lot better yourself if you really wanted to.

These replicas are excellent quality, and will probably not be around forever. Get them while you can if you really want them. Lots of people have talked about making accurate replicas ( I've even supplied samples to two individuals who wanted to try ) but I don't personally know anybody who has been able to get the shape and style right and still keep them a reasonable price..........

Are you seriously considering making a bid? If you are, don't bother asking any more questions about missing hardware. Fabricate your own - it will be better.

Alan T.

Alan

OK ...he is not dense, I will take your word. But impressions are everything. When he cant bother to provide a literate and thought out response ....what is the consumer to think.

Instead of sticking up for him, help him out and let him know that he needs to take more care and time in how he replies to potential buyers.

alan, i don't believe that is datsun spirit. i've speak to eiji [owner] regularly and purchased a set of these reproduction covers from him last year. i don't believe that he has ever sold them on ebay before. i think this is a different seller and will ask eiji next time i speak to him.

also, if these are the same covers i have, the rings are not stainless but chrome plated steel.

Instead of sticking up for him, help him out and let him know that he needs to take more care and time in how he replies to potential buyers.

I'm don't think he needs any selling advice from the likes of me. Having sold some items on eBay myself, I completely sympathise with him. Some of the questions you get asked make you wonder whether the people asking them are even on the same planet. I reckon he's probably just keeping it short and sweet with you. Don't take offence when it is more likely that none is intended. Bear in mind that he is Japanese, and that Japanese men generally have a reputation for being somewhat sparing with words. Just ask their wives.......... :wink:

The question is - are you a 'potential buyer'? If you are, make your bid and let your money do the talking. If you are the winning bidder, he will do right by you - I'd stake what little reputation I have on it.

The seller is honest and responsible and the item he is selling is good. The only question to be answered is - how much do you want to pay?

The mounting hardware worries can be answered with some Rivnuts and some stainless countersunk screws, which should cost just a couple of Dollars.

Alan T.

alan, i don't believe that is datsun spirit. i've speak to eiji [owner] regularly and purchased a set of these reproduction covers from him last year. i don't believe that he has ever sold them on ebay before. i think this is a different seller and will ask eiji next time i speak to him.

REALLY? I could have sworn that 'Orestes of Argos' was the eBay ID that Eiji sometimes uses ( even if he perhaps doesn't want it to be widely known...... ). Friends of mine have bought from 'Orestes of Argos' and told me that it was actually Eiji......

Well, if it is Eiji ( and I still think it is ) then maybe I should not be blowing his anonymity. If it is not Eiji, then I still think these light covers are the good Japanese repros that sometimes hit the market, and that the seller's rep should speak for itself.

also, if these are the same covers i have, the rings are not stainless but chrome plated steel.

Having had a lot of original covers pass through my hands over the years ( I reckon at least 20 sets if not more - both used and NOS ) my experience is that the very earliest factory items were steel channel section, made from two pieces butt-welded together then chromed. After a couple of years they started making them from stainless steel ( still two pieces butt-welded together ) which was then polished to a high shine. The replicas I have seen are chromed, not stainless.