HybridZ

Why Bother With The Lsx Swaps....

Because at the end of the day you will be very happy you did! This thread is to help the guys out there who are doing the v8 swaps and might be getting a little down due to move or the scope of the project. As some of you may remember, I was going to sell my Z last year and I have very happy I didn't. 6 months later I still get a joy from starting the car up and taking it for a spin. Yes it looks like crap but it is my crap. Look through my old post and see where I started and where my car is today. I wanted to share with the v8 section some old pics n vids from last year. The pics n vids are basically 1 week after I got my car running! Just a reminder never give up on your project and all the hard work will pay off. When I was down on my car, I would watch vids of everyone else's cars and vids I have of my friends Z cars (1 tuff z & cygnusx1).

Here is what you are all working towards....first drives.....road trips...and testing this baby out!

First Drive on my block vid:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ck_zml7A2z4

Daytona:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=W0tYm_ZCL_s

Road Trip:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HUp0TDRHLho

Daytona:

07_dis_clive.jpg

2007-zcon-04-0105.jpg

Thanks again HBZ!

This Spring I will start wrenching on the Z again.......

EvilC - That's very encouraging to someone like me in the very early stages, thanks.

Just thought I would past on details of my LS1 cost. In January I purchased an 04 built 80,000klm (50,000mls) wreck for $5200AUS ($4836US). I spent no more than 40 hours, on and off over a few weeks, to strip the car of undamaged bits. Last Sunday night 17 items went for $2250 ($2093US) on eBay.

As a result I end up with motor, MM6, drive-by-wire loom, prop shaft, 3.46 LSD diff and 4 CVs, air conditioner, brake and clutch master cylinders and even the pedals, all of which I hope to fit to my Z, all for $2950AUS ($2743US).

Blue ute 2_thumb.jpg

My LS1_thumb.jpg

Wow, your timing could not have been more perfect. I was just looking for videos of LSX swaps running track days last night.

After spending some time around Phantom's car and seeing the LSX guys at Daytona I think I've finally settled on the LSX swap. In the end it's the most practical way to meet my goals for the Z.

Wow, your timing could not have been more perfect. I was just looking for videos of LSX swaps running track days last night.

After spending some time around Phantom's car and seeing the LSX guys at Daytona I think I've finally settled on the LSX swap. In the end it's the most practical way to meet my goals for the Z.

Pete we must have met but I do not remember who you are. I was 1 of only 3 LS1 Z's there. You will be very happy with it....are you going to the next convention?

We probably did, but I'm not sure I formally introduced myself. I think I snuck a peek at your car at Daytona during the track event. I was there sharing time with kjones in his turbo L6 280z.

I'll probably miss Cleveland (new baby at home), but I'm looking toward 2009. But if the Z is up and running with a LS1 swap by September you never know... Mid-Ohio would be fun.

The LSx...

For those of us that do not have the time to transform a Datsun, how often do these machines get offered up for sale? I imagine there are some that truely enjoy "the process" almost as much as the result, and need the fix of creating something new...

I have been lurking for months/years. The datsun was what I drove in college (83 turbo) and want to again, but my performance bar is a fair amount higher than what was offered back then (hench looking for a hybrid). I have too many other things going on to build one from scratch.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to where to look, or know of any owned by someone that is itching to start a new project? Any advice is appreciated!

The LSx...

For those of us that do not have the time to transform a Datsun, how often do these machines get offered up for sale? I imagine there are some that truely enjoy "the process" almost as much as the result, and need the fix of creating something new...

I have been lurking for months/years. The datsun was what I drove in college (83 turbo) and want to again, but my performance bar is a fair amount higher than what was offered back then (hench looking for a hybrid). I have too many other things going on to build one from scratch.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to where to look, or know of any owned by someone that is itching to start a new project? Any advice is appreciated!

What are you looking to spend for one? Hope you are thinking near the $20k mark for some of these cars.

what was your total swap cost?

I gotta learn how to quote more than one person in a post.....lol

Right now I am in the car around $20K-$23K. That includes everything to get the car where it is right now. Price does not include the cost of the motor/tranny/pcm/fans....they were free when I parted out my donor LS1.

Because of the giant smile on my face every time I turn the key. Because I can't drive it across town without getting a thumbs-up from someone I've never seen before. Because everytime I run to the store I have to answer a million questions and pop the hood for a new friend. Because with a little suspension work to go with the LS, the car is head and shoulders better than it was when new, and better, faster, and more fun than most new cars. Because I absolutely would not hesitate to drive it across the country and back. Because stepping on the loud pedal results in instant woodies.

That's why!

Mike

I hear ya. and I'm happy for you that you didn't quit.

I am about 95% done with my LT1 swap. But there were times during the year it took where I thought "what the hell were you thinking". But the day came when I finally drove it to work I got the thumbs up from many of my co-workers and a few divers along the way. When I got home I stood for a while just looking at it and it dawned on me "you actually did it". I felt a sense of pride of accomplishment I hadn't felt in years. Every time I punch it even a little I get a huge rush. I am so happy I decided to make the swap, now I can say with pride, "yeah, I built that".

EvilC,

Thanks for the post, it's comforting to know others are taking longer than expected on their projects. My hats off to all those who stuck with it and completed thier engine swaps or restoration.

Anyone can purchase a new car, but not everyone can create a classic sports car that rivals most new cars in performance and handling.

Thanks for the inspiration, I can wait until my car is finished!

Clive hit it on the head. I drove my LS swap for the first time last weekend. It is comical really. I couldn't stop chuckling. Second gear I can light em up at will from any RPM. Still can't wipe the smile off my face. Took nearly a year and a half but that's because I built everything myself and did a lot of other work like a new subframe and have four kids and a demanding job.

Cost (best I can remember so it's close):

Wrecked '02 Z28 $6500

Sold ~$2000 maybe more before I'm done

Headers $460

Exhaust $250

K&N $35

Intake rubber elbow ~$25

Water lines, fittings, etc $100

Fuel lines $200

Driveshaft $160

Diff flange adapter $65

Poly mounts ~$100

Serpentine & extra pulley ~$40

Battery & alt wiring ~$50

PCM flash $75

Clutch lines $150 (dont ask ...)

Misc crap that adds up $200

So about $6,400. If you were better at parting out like Clive you could significantly reduce the upfront engine cost. Otherwise I dont see how you could do it for any less. I reused as much of the f-body stuff as possible (throttle cable, dipstick, fuel tank, wiring, etc) and did all the work myself including building the mounts, fabbing the exhaust, etc. I also am still using the stock radiator so we'll see how that holds up and have no speedo or fuel gauge yet so this is basic drivable with no frills ... other than the loud pedal!!!

Cameron

PS: I started swap Nov '06. Target was driving May '07. Actual driving March '08.

Heavy85, I am glad to see you enjoying your Z. I still have a smile on my face and still look around when I pull up to a stop light to see who is looking at the Z! LOL

It is a great feeling when you know you worked on something and you really enjoy driving it. I just can't wait until my car is as clean as I would like it to be....body/paint/int....but that will come with time. I love driving my half 25 yr old paint, half primer Z! It sounds great....

As for me, the project took me about 6 months longer than I wanted it to. I had school and lack of money to slow me down. Even when you plan, there are always things and parts that get in the way. Boy I remember the feeling of 20 boxes of parts around and in the Z.

Plan the work and work the Plan.

Clive

PS Kbhead, you are going to have one badass Z when you are done....I would love to do a LS2. In a few years....hopefully more than 5....when I blow up the LS1....I am thinking LS7...lol

The LSx...

I am taking order. Start collecting cash. I don't credit cards.

EvilC,

Thanks, I sure hope the LS2 will perform. I've always loved the 240z, but it just didn't have the power like a muscel car, so I'm hoping this engine will solve that problem. And from what I have read on this site, everyone is very happy with the performance of the LSx engines. I can't wait to find out.