HybridZ

dyno videos of Chris, and myself.

big-phil

The gearing doesn't matter, you just need to know what it is in order for the RPM to be accurate.

Think about it, rear diff affects gearing ratio. Tire size affects gearing ratio, why would the transmission need to be in a 1:1 ratio? It just makes the calculation easier, that's about it.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The gearing doesn't matter, you just need to know what it is in order for the RPM to be accurate.

Think about it, rear diff affects gearing ratio. Tire size affects gearing ratio, why would the transmission need to be in a 1:1 ratio? It just makes the calculation easier, that's about it.

I see what you are saying, as long as you know the 3rd gear ratio and figure it in, it would be the same difference. The Dyno shops I have used always said to put it in whatever gear was 1 to 1 so that is what I was going on.

thanks.

I am happy with the numbers. Once I figure out why my power falls at 4500rpm then I'll go back and see what it does again.

Can I suggest going to Dynosaur? I've heard from quite a few people that Alamo's dyno is calibrated wrong from quite a few people, one of them being a subie builder in Dallas.

I might be completely wrong so feel free to take this with a grain of salt, I honestly know a little bit less than nothing about what could be miscalculated due to a dyno being calibrated off of where it should be.

I know that BDJ's Racing uses Dynosaur quite often for all of their built cars.

You make pulls in third because its less strain on the engine etc.

You make pulls in 4th if you have traction issues.

Car sounds great Chris, have not had time to watch Phil's yet. I have a question though, aren't you getting a false number by doing pulls in 3rd gear? I always thought you had to be in 4th or whatever 1 to 1 on your gearbox was to get your hp numbers. If I'm stupid, please help me.

P.S., when are we meeting at Ennis??

Hickl

Alamo's Dynojet is just fine, in fact many big race companies choose to tune there. It's funny when people go out and have their car run on other less accurate equipment, and they complain when they find out that their car is slower than they thought after using Alamo's Dynojet.

Ive seen alot of dyno owners play with their correction values to make their shop seem like its tuning is making more of a impact than the other shop. Alamo's dyno readings are always less than the other guy for a reason, accuracy.:D

Can I suggest going to Dynosaur? I've heard from quite a few people that Alamo's dyno is calibrated wrong from quite a few people, one of them being a subie builder in Dallas.

I might be completely wrong so feel free to take this with a grain of salt, I honestly know a little bit less than nothing about what could be miscalculated due to a dyno being calibrated off of where it should be.

I know that BDJ's Racing uses Dynosaur quite often for all of their built cars.

I finally got a chance to watch Phil's video, both you guys are laying down some nice power. Looks like I probably need a "power adder" on my V8 to run with you guys. 400 plus rear wheel hp from that L6 is just nasty! Phil, lovin your car, it looks sick with those flares and wheels.

Later,

Jeff

Jeff, I don't think that stroker V-8 of yours has anything to worry about from my particular L6, we do need to hit up Ennis on a street car night though.

I don't know dude, haven't dyno'd it but based on my 1/4 miles results, don't think I am putting 400hp down at the rear wheels.

11.51 is plenty stout! I bet I'll MPH pretty well, it ran 90.1 mph in the 1/8th here a couple months ago with the same tune, with lotsa spin in 1st-3rd, I did buy some 235-60-15 BFG drag radials and put them on some 15x8 sportmax wheels, but haven't tried them out yet. They closed the 1/8 mile strip that's kinda close to me (Kenndale) to repave it or something, but I think it's open again now. Let's maybe shoot for the first week or May to meet at Ennis? I'm way busy almost all of April at work, and weekends are going to be spent trying to bag a spring Turkey!

Hey chris, I can't find a dyno sheet posted of your car. I'd love to see one. I've been making a database of dyno figures to show how different engines tend to make power, weather NA, turbo, supercharged etc. So the more general info on the engine to go along with it would be super amazing special awesome.

• 2 months later...

Took my car to the dyno today to have a go at tuning the fuel and ignition tables. I didn't get as much time as I would have liked but the engine went well and felt really strong. The engine is a standard f54/p90 NA with a 2mm headgasket. Standard NA manifold and turbo exhaust manifold. No porting just a Holset hy35 and megasquirt controlling fuel and spark.

First run hit 256bhp@5,849rpm 279.2lb/ft@4,064rpm 8PSI boost

then hit 304.4bhp@5752rpm 316.2lb/ft@4163rpm 12psi boost

The mixture still needed tweaking after 4000rpm it was rich from that point on.

datsundyno2_thumb.jpg

Do you have the wheel HP numbers for the 8psi run? I'd like to see that sheet as well to compare power curves.

Definately some nice numbers considering it's a pretty common setup seen among people. What spark sysem are you controlling with megasquirt?

Yeah sure here is the 8psi sheet. I'm running EDIS and timing is around 20deg at 300hp...I watched the torque and moved the timing up and down to get the best figure....I did see my knocksense light start to flicker at one point...there was no sound of knock but goes to show it can still be there.

datsundyno1_thumb.jpg