HybridZ

I want to turn my 240 into a plug in!

Derek

So Here's the deal.

I live 5 minutes from my shop. It's 5 minutes to the hardware store. 5 minutes to everywhere I seem to go. The car only reaches operating temp by the time I finish my trip. Here's my thought. I'll install a block heater or two and leave the car plugged in when I'm not driving it. At least it should be better than it being stone cold.

Any thoughts or suggestions on this?

Thanks

Derek

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes but the car runs much better at 190 than it does at 80. So my theory is if I can maintain the coolant as close to operating temp as possible, every time I jump in the car for a short trip it would be warmed up.

I live in theoryville

In the winters even though it rarely gets below freezing I use the block heater in my Diesel for the same reason.

Derek

I don't really understand what your trying to accomplish with a block heater. You live in FL right?

Evan

Take longer routes.

But seriously a block heater wont bring your engine up to operating temp. Its just meant to keep the water from freezing and cracking the block.

Yes but multiples might make the difference.

Derek

I'm not sure you understand the principle behind block heaters.There is no way you are going to get a block heater to get your temp anywhere even remotely close to operating temp.Block heaters, as was said already - keep things from freezing in sub zero weather,they are not capable of heating 500 pounds of thermal mass to high or even medium temps.Im afraid what you need is an actual plug in car IE electric.Seeing as you live in florida a heater probably wont even get your temp over ambient temp.

Agreed, I'm thinking since its local for you anyway you may want to take a drive down "New idea St."

Or perhaps Great idea avenue.

Here's what I want.

I want to have my car at operating temp when I get in it. I don't happen to think this is a bad idea.

Here's what I know.

When the temp is around 30f and I don't plug in my truck the temp gauge never moves by the time I get to the shop and you can forget about heat.

When I plug the truck in over night The truck starts better and the heat is noticeable. The temp gauge doesn't make it up to operating temp but does move pretty far.

Ok here's what I've found out so far from a single source on the web. This means I'm right and your wrong. (do iI really need a smiley face here?)

this is from a forum on dodge trucks http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/showthread.php?t=193010

They were experiencing engine temps of 130 to 140 or so on tucks that most certainly have more mass than my Z.

Tomorrow I'm going to plug in my truck and measure the amp draw and do a cost calculation.I'll also measure the temperature rise.

Then we'll see who's laughing then!!!

Derek

Tomorrow I'm going to plug in my truck and measure the amp draw and do a cost calculation.I'll also measure the temperature rise.

Well i was never laughing in the first place,just confused.

Datsun 240z + Block heater + person in florida = :confused::confused2:confused::hs::ugg::confused:

A 110VAC tank style block heater would keep your little engine very close to operating temp. We used these on diesel engines 10 times the size of an L series Nissan, and kept them at or around 160F. I'm not sure that running a 2000 watt heater all the time would be worth it though...

http://www.kimhotstart.com/kimhotstart/uploads/documents/catalog/sb-sl_pages.pdf

Or perhaps Great idea avenue.

Here's what I want.

I want to have my car at operating temp when I get in it. I don't happen to think this is a bad idea.

Here's what I know.

When the temp is around 30f and I don't plug in my truck the temp gauge never moves by the time I get to the shop and you can forget about heat.

When I plug the truck in over night The truck starts better and the heat is noticeable. The temp gauge doesn't make it up to operating temp but does move pretty far.

Ok here's what I've found out so far from a single source on the web. This means I'm right and your wrong. (do iI really need a smiley face here?)

this is from a forum on dodge trucks http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/showthread.php?t=193010

They were experiencing engine temps of 130 to 140 or so on tucks that most certainly have more mass than my Z.

Derek

When I plug my truck in overnight, the temp readout on my programmer says about 130 before I start the truck. It's reading water temp in the block. As soon as I start the truck, water temps drop to about 80 to 90. The truck does warm up faster, I have heat sooner.

Put a remote starter on the car, let it run for a minute or two and it'll accomplish the same thing.