HybridZ

Front Air Dam Lip- Pictures

Challenger

That radiator enclosure is a cool looking piece. Any details on that part?

Ill get a few pictures of it off the car, helps to show the shape.

If that pressboard isnt too heavy, I would do a couple overlays in carbon fiber to give it some strength. Since it isnt too wide, the carbon would be relatively inexpensive. I have been doing alot of work in carbon lately (bamboo bike business) and I am really impressed by how easy it can be to work with. If the pressboard is heavy, then I would find something light to replicate from and then lay some carbon on it.

Ive been thinking of doing something like this, make the lip out of some thinner board and cover it with fg. Cf would be cool but fg would be cheaper to fix if i hit a curb.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://www.aprperformance.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=83&Itemid=44

[/b]:;"]P1010019.jpg

Heres the one APR sells, way to expensive, but a good example.

Ive been looking at sheets of fg, lexan, polyurethane... all possibilities. Im going to try and look locally for something around 1/4 inch for around $50.

• 7 months later...

Has there been any progress on the splitter? I am tryin to round up all the materials that I will need so that I can get started on my car. I am fabin' up a few other changes to some pieces that I have for my car. I am trying to get it all together in the next few weeks. I am taking a "working" vacation on the car.......

Maybe this thread will be of some help?

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=110961

Has there been any progress on the splitter? I am tryin to round up all the materials that I will need so that I can get started on my car. I am fabin' up a few other changes to some pieces that I have for my car. I am trying to get it all together in the next few weeks. I am taking a "working" vacation on the car.......
Have you seen Austin's splitter (linked above)?

Since his is long since completed, I think he should be able to answer your questions.

Yeah Im on a stand still since I dont know what material to use... I dont want to use sheet metal because Id think youd need a pretty thick piece to hold together and stay flat.
FWIW, if I were to make one, I'd probably use aluminum. Could be expensive though... probably not the cheapest solution.

I can get a sheet of 4x10 for about 197.00 for something in a 14 gauge thickness but I don't know if that would be thick enough....that is all that I need to know......other wise I am about to start....
14 gauge is pretty thick. I would think it would be thick enough. If not, I would definitely think 12 gauge would be enough.

If its aluminium or glass just bond some honeycomb or coremate to it. That will stiffen it up and you can make it as light as possable. Have a llok in the photos for ZROSSA. THere is a photo of the under trat part of my front end before i bonded to the spoiler. To make this I used a flate sheel of mdf with the shape of the bottom of the spoiler traced on it. Waxed the mdf and layed up a cuople of layers of glass on it. Then used some structural foam with wholes cut in it so I could bond to the original piece then layed more glass over the top. Now that its in the car its very stiff and very light. Coremat would be much better but i didnt have any and its expensive here.

Douglas

If you could make a mold of the pressboard and make a fg or cf shell and fill it with PVC foam........ but you might not have all the time in the world to do that. Or make one out of styrafoam and wrap it in fg or cf. Then make a whole at one end (preferably out of site) and pour gasoline in the whole to eat the styrofoam out. Then fill it with a stronger foam like the PVC.

Just a few ideas.

I'm a little late to join in on this thread but....

If you drive the car on public roads... why not use the board for the front? i was going to use some marine plywood and put some lacquer on it to seal it and paint it. My Z isn't that low but it scraps the front plate on my MSA front dam, with a lip that pretty carbon fiber would be destroyed on my Z. I'd go plastic or wood for replacement purposes personally. Both can be stiffened to work effectively.

just my .02

-Ed