HybridZ

Front Air Dam Lip- Pictures

Challenger

Been planning on makeing a front lip for some time and finally got around to making a template out of a type of pressboard.

Propped up the board and used a pencil to trace the curve. Cut it out then moved it out ~3.5 inches. Used the same method for doing the corner.

IMG_0840.JPG

IMG_08461.JPG

IMG_0845.JPG

IMG_08481.JPG

So whats everyone think I should make the final lip from? Id like to do metal but I dont want something really heavy. Maybe a large piece of fg? Where could you get something like that? Whatever I use it will have braces holding it up.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I built a cedar strip kayak for my wife awaile back, and it is tough as nails. If you did the sameto the lip I don`t think you would be sorry. stay away from the body shop type of resin. West system or simmilar (search Bear mountian canoes?)resen takes overnight to set but you have a lot of time to smooth out. Do resin, glass, resin ,resin sand, resin ,sand,paint..Allso easy to repair.

hmm....it looks like a great idea challenger, but i have to ask...why?

won't that just bring it a little too close to the ground and perhaps risk banging it off of stuff?

The lip is called a splitter. Search splitter here and on the internet at large and you'll find tons of info. The quick and easy answer is that they make downforce, but there is quite a bit to them, first and foremost is that they have to be attached in a way that they can handle the pressure put on them. I'm a bit curious to see if there is any other mounting of this particular one, or if it is just going to attach to the front end of the urethane air dam. I think that will not hold up as it is shown.

I made a very similar splitter on my 73 with that same air dam after the aero tests. I used 060 aluminum and carried the piece back to the crossmember to flatten out that whole area.

It is attached to the lip on the air dam with rivets about every 6 to 8 inches and a couple of rivets on the crossmember. I did need to use a couple of pieces of aluminum angle to stiffen the area between the air damn and the crossmember.

Hope that helps.

If you notice from the pictures that is wood... Just using it as a template. Its being supported by sparkling water boxes and a crank bearing box.

It will be built similar to 240hokes and will extend to the lower radiator support. At the front it will have the small turnbuckles for adjusting and support.

Also as for mounting it will also be attached to the braces I made for the airdam. (recent thread)

If you're going to put on a splitter, why not do a little work around the sides and run it up into the wheelwells to shroud the tires, similar to what johnc did to his car? I'd post a picture of it, but I can't find it.

And yes I was going to do something similar to shield the front of the tire from the oncoming air. It will most likely be a seperate piece. (also not made out of wood :) )

And yes I was going to do something similar to shield the front of the tire from the oncoming air. It will most likely be a seperate piece. (also not made out of wood :) )

I'd imagine you'd have to use aluminum to fit all of the curves involved. Just so I'm getting the idea across, what I'm attempting to visualize is the splitter running unbroken along the bottom edge of the airdam, constant width out around the sides, and up into the wheelwell. I figure you'd have to switch to aluminum where the bottom lip of the airdam begins to curve upward.

Whoops, THAT'S the photo I was thinking of. Sorry John, BJ.

Yup! You've got the idea.

Long-term plans on my car involve a duct for the radiator to the airdam opening, grille block-off, and a splitter as I've described. I'm trying to skull out ways of building it that will give with a hit on a steep driveway and still be effective at speed...heim joints and turnbuckles are coming into play somewhere.

IMG_0853.JPG

Again this is only a template. This is what it will look like.

Finshed the right side and attached all the pieces. Supported it up to where it will sit and snapped a picture.

Heres another picture with the radiator enclosure sitting in there. It normally fits nicer but I didnt have any of the mounting brackets in.

IMG_0856.JPG

Wow that radiator looks bad!!

So whats everyone think I should make the final lip from? Id like to do metal but I dont want something really heavy. Maybe a large piece of fg? Where could you get something like that? Whatever I use it will have braces holding it up.

If that pressboard isnt too heavy, I would do a couple overlays in carbon fiber to give it some strength. Since it isnt too wide, the carbon would be relatively inexpensive. I have been doing alot of work in carbon lately (bamboo bike business) and I am really impressed by how easy it can be to work with. If the pressboard is heavy, then I would find something light to replicate from and then lay some carbon on it.