HybridZ

MY computer CRASHED HELP!!

Ok my computer crashed. windows xp blue screen then is shut down. Its a emachines i got it last year. So when I try to turn the computer on It turns on but there is nothing to display on the screen and the cooling fan on the motherboard stays on and its going really fast. I press and hold the on/off switch to shut it down and try to started again but same thing happens it doesn't reboot. Do I need to purchase another hard drive.

Right know im using my old ass computer that I got when I was in 7th grade, and it sucks.

Go to google type in... "unhackme" and download it. The Zlob trojan got on this computer i am using, but i fixed it with that program. Macfee for some reason didnt "clean it all up". It being a rootkit it hides itself deep in your harddrive and disguises itself as system processes.

Guest kupiakos

Do you get any kind of beeps when you start up your PC? If more than 1, how many cause it could be hardware loose or worse, toast.

he said it WON'T boot.

if that's the case, well, you're kinda fucked. if there are NO beeps, you're really fucked. usually it means well, something inside went BOOM and that part is now causing the entire computer to well, go POOF.

but how are you online right now if your computer went poof? XP jk a bit on that. I have about 3pc's of my own as far as parts go.

BUT, first question. Do you get any beeping if you turn it on?

If yes, what's the pattern?

if NO, then....well, it's time to start pulling parts till you DO get a beep.

Guest kupiakos

Try opening up your case and removing a component like your memory chips or video card and see if it beeps. If no beep there's a POST error somewhere.

well it's worse than a post error if no beep. if it does beep, but the beep isn't a single short beep, THEN you have a post error. On my computer a memory error will run as a series of about 3 long beeps. when my video card went though, it wouldn't even shoot a post error, and would give the problem the OP is having. A dead hard drive caused the same issue.

In the WORST CASE scenario, a fried CPU will cause the same problem (but is VERY unlikely unless you overclock your CPU and over volt it till it overheats and burns out.

Could be a dead video card, a dead processor, dead memory, or a dead motherboard. Pull the video card and turn on. If it beeps then the motherboard should still be ok. If its on-board video, then can't do that. Pull the memory and you should get some beeps. If no beeps then the MB is bad. If you have an extra video card, you can try to plug that in and see if you get some video. Sounds like a dead MB to me though.....just scrapped a PC at work that did this and that was the problem. Next time stay away from Emachines as they are lousy.

greg

Stay away from any pre-built computers. they all suck IMO.

and really it can be anything. whenever my computer does it, I pull out ONE thing at a time till it beeps. and by one thing, unplug a part, turn on. if no beep, plug part back in, unplug something else, no beep, plug in, and try something else.

it's the only way to really diagnose something. you COULD go backwards and start with EVERYTHING taken out except the CPU. it should at LEAST make angry beeps with the CPU in. then start plugging things back in till it stops beeping. Start with the memory, then the video card, then the A drive (floppy drive) then hard drive, and finally the CD drives.

Guest kupiakos

Not all pre-built. My 6 yr old P4 Compaq Presario still kicking butt with the original components still in it!! Will ride it till the CPU falls off.

he said it WON'T boot.

if that's the case, well, you're kinda fucked. if there are NO beeps, you're really fucked. usually it means well, something inside went BOOM and that part is now causing the entire computer to well, go POOF.

but how are you online right now if your computer went poof? XP jk a bit on that. I have about 3pc's of my own as far as parts go.

BUT, first question. Do you get any beeping if you turn it on?

If yes, what's the pattern?

if NO, then....well, it's time to start pulling parts till you DO get a beep.

:nono::nono::nono:

Unplug power from tower.

Open the case. un plug the ATX connector (power connector to the MB).

See if any pins are discolored on the cable. Plug it back in if not.

locate the CMOS batter (looks like a watch battery). remove it.

locate the BIOS jumper (little black, yellow, green, blue, or red plastic thingy that is used to complete a circuit on 2 of a set of 3 pins. Usually located near the battery).

re-place it so that the other pin is connected instead how it was before. wait 30 sec. then place it back how it was originally. place battery back in.

Plug power and is if it POST beeps.

If it doesn't, unplug everything from the motherboard except power supply, and processor/fan. Then plug power and see if it POSTs then. If it doesn't, then it could be one or a combination of the components (PSU, motherboard, or processor).

Some times it just can be bad RAM. And sometime it just needs to sit for a while. I've seen all sorts of these problems, and sometimes the fix isn't what you expect.

If you get the "blue screen of death" than the bios is active. Get into the bios and see what might be happening. Also try starting in safe mode. You info on the hard drive may be fine, even with a boot sector that may be screwed up you can retrive it by putting into another computer as a slave.

Sounds like your CPU took a crap. I've had this problem many times before.

Basically what happens is the computer cannot assess the voltage required by the CPU because the voltage regulator on your MB or the voltage control circuit on the CPU itself (under the integrated heat spreader) has crusted up and shattered (ceramic).

what happens is that it gets a quick shot of voltage and it fries.

IT COULD be your ram, but normally when they CPU is not detected properly, the Auto-RPM Fan speed is defaulted to high by a "working bios" (which would indicated it is working, because the fan is being triggered to the high state).

This is to cool any potential heat issues that could be causing the computer to act erratically and is a sign that the computer cannot detect the CPU or another component.

• Try removing the video card if you have one, and plug your monitor into the onboard video if there is a slot for it.

• If you have two sticks of ram, remove the one closest to the middle.

• If you have a sound card, yank it for now.

Chances of your vid card being blown seem good. Usually video output is non-existant on a fried vid-card, but i've had the CPU Check *beep* come on even with a dead Vid-card.

Things you do not need to pull are your drives. I can't see any reason why a drive would disable other hardware.

Does it show anything on screen up until windows, or no video at all?

Drives can disable a computer if they crash. I had my 7 year old 20gig go on me once, and the computer would refuse to post until I took it out. Not sure why, but that's what happened. My dad's Seagate SATA drive did the same thing.

I have a video card that is damaged somehow and the computer won't post with it in.

I've had bad ram cause the computer not to post

AND I've had chipped CPU die's well, die.

I've been lucky. Not one bad MB yet. That's why whenever I diagnose my computer I unplug everything except the CPU to make sure it shoots me an error, then start putting in the most essential parts (video card if no onboard, ram, hard drive, then cd drives.)

I probably should save for a new computer, but meh, till this one dies I'll keep it (I think it's my....4th or 5th computer.)

Anyways, no-post errors suck, because it can be ANY component really. It can get damaged in such a way that instead of not being detected, it shoots stupid signals that keep the computer from posting at all.

i just removed the sound blaster card and ram and disconneted the hard drive and just connected the harddrive back is still a no GO. There is no beeps or nothing appearing on the screen. Can I just go buy a Hard drive and conneted and insert the recovery disk and start all over. My other old ass computer just took a crap also. Im using my lil bros computer right now.

My sisters comp had the same prob awhile ago. The comp would turn on and run, but nothing would show up on the screen. Turns out we had a bad electrical strip and a surge happened to fry the motherboard. Dont know how to diagnose that, sorry, but good luck.