HybridZ

Exhaust legos??!!!

this is really cool!

untill I saw the price for a 6 cylinder..

$1,100!?!?! I guess its not too bad if they fabricate it up for you and ship it off! not toooo shabby

Wait, what?

As far as I know they are for mocking manifolds if your a builder. I saw something similar at advance auto parts for cold air intakes. More cheesy, and about 100 bucks.

Evan

"this is really cool!

untill I saw the price for a 6 cylinder..

$1,100!?!?! I guess its not too bad if they fabricate it up for you and ship it off! not toooo shabby"

Im not sure I read this correctly... but I don,t think they provide a welded up functioning header, from your finnished pattern ,they just provide the plastic parts that allow you to mock up a design? and YOU still need to build your own headers for that price? so for $1400 or so you get plastic sections to mock up a design then you still need to buy the steel, cut, fit and weld up a header all at further expence

What is Smurf tubing:?:

That's what I'm wondering.

The very nice thing with the tool posted in the first post is that there are witness marks that will help with cutting each bend to be the exact right length, to make the perfectly flowing and smooth headers/exhaust.

You know if they took the price down to $4-500 I would probably buy it. I think I could make some money off of it building headers for guys I know. Heck I could build some headers for the V8 280ZX guys! Sweet product but way over priced!

Guy

"You know if they took the price down to $4-500 I would probably buy it. I think I could make some money off of it building headers for guys I know. Heck I could build some headers for the V8 280ZX guys! Sweet product but way over priced"

DITTO!

EXACTLY MY THOUGHTS, I do enought odd engine swaps that dropping $500 on that would be fine as a tool cost, but I looked into this youll really need about $1900 in parts to build decent headers and thats MINIMUM it could easilly cost more, the parts allow you to build primairy tube lengths at about 30"-33" youll need 37"-39" primairies on many applications and that would require addition of custom kit parts

PLUS I don,t see the collectors or flange plates listed , youll need several differant flange plates to make the tool cost worth it. YEAH! Im sure I could work around those problems easily,but for $1900 PLUS Id expect that to be handled in the cost

Smurf tube is corrugated PVC flexible tubing used to provide an easy method of upgrading structured wiring systems. The tube is run from the distribution panel to each outlet during the prewiring construction phase. Retrofit wiring can easily be pulled through the tubes without painstaking cable snaking. The most common type, Flex-Plus Blue ENT, is manufactured by Carlon, Cleveland, Ohio. Workers nicknamed it “smurf tube” because of its distinctive blue color.

198513_f260.jpg

Looks like the same stuff that came with my baracuda pool vacuum. Its not the same as the lego stuff....not nearly as adaptable.

Guys

lets think about this for a second.

sure it SOUNDS overpriced. but there is nothing that will simplify making headers more than this would. Why? because each section is a precut size, each section lets you measure or count the number of blocks to easily figure out how much tubing you need. each second has alignment tabs, and specific angles that will ensure that if you cut the metal to that size, it will look exactly the same.

FOR THE PROFESSIONAL, I think spending 2000 on a kit like this would be a worthwhile investment (2000 includes booster packs).

for the average one to 5 time use for a home builder, forget it.

Some people can do this by eye, but ask them how many tubes they've had to cut to get it perfect, or ask them how much material waste they have.

some will lie. and some will tell you "quite a bit, and that's where my cost comes in"

ALSO:

how many times do you want to have to cut a new set of smurf tubing. Sure it costs only a fraction of what this does. but lets say you do A LOT of these. what sounds more cost effective? easier to work with? time saving?

I think I'll go with the ice bloks if i were to do this as a profession, with TIG kit and all.

I dont see smurf tubing very practical. It may bend well but doesn keep its shape at all. It wants to straighten out.

The beauty of the lego tubes is as Careless indicates..... Everything is measured out and easy to replicate off the car. Hey...if you do 5 custom jobs for your friends its paid for itself and then some!!!..a lot of $ome!

Id like to see a smurf based rendering next to a lego rendering that is equaly as good.

Put some 3/32 filler wire in the smurf tubing and it keeps its shape pretty well, especially if you wave a propane torch near it. I'm not saying smurf tubing is better then the tool that's the subject of this thread, but its a cheap, effective tool for the home builder.