HybridZ

MSA downpipe $99 feedback wanted

DrEaM

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I remember correctly MSA bought them from Pete Z at first. So I assume they are identical. At least in size and shape, if not quality.

I got mine at a discount from Pete directly for documenting my install. search for Pete Z downpipe or something and you should find it. My old screen name was alecnet I think.

I just installed mine a few days ago. I'll post some pics later. It's bolted up and it seems to me that it's uncomfortably close to the Trans. I don't know if mine was welded up a little off or if the distance is normal. There's about 1/8 of an inch or less clearance between the Pipe and the bulge in the Bell housing where the transmition bolt is. Other than that it seems fine, the O2 bung is a little closer to the Turbo than the wideband guys would probably like. I used the O2 bung for my EGR tube.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

have had mine for about 4 months and its deffinetly the way to go if you dont want to spend the time and money to make your own, and yes they do sit close to the tranny, but they sound nice, i only wish they could make it in 3 and 4 inch but 2.5 is what it comes in:(. if you want it fast gotta go custom:icon44:

Don't let lack of an EGR hookup stop you. I replaced at least THREE turbo EGR setups using nothing more than a standard forged steel pipe half-coupling (or stainless halfcoupling depending on the application) and replacing the piping with T316L 1/2" tubing using Swagelock STainless Steel compression fittings (As well a Parker A-Lock, and Imperial Eastman)

On the N/A setups I've used AN steel fittings in the past, but SS is really the only thing you want to use for the fittings and pipe. The 1/2" tube will clog faster but with the AN or Swagelock fittings you can make the tube a 90 degree affair so it's not "Captive" and can clean it regularly and easily.

If you have mild steel, I think I was using 309 rod in a TIG machine to weld the SS half coupling to the pipe, then simply drilled a hole with a drill. Depending on the size hole you drill you will alter the flow of EGR into the manifold when activated, if you drill it undersize, you will still pass smog, but will not be injecting the same level of exhaust gas, keeping the manifold slightly colder than usual you want to make sure the drilled hole is big enough...

Big enough to meet your goals of passing smog, that is... If you have the pipe there and no hole, they will fail you---they check the pipe to make sure the EGR is heating it up...

And you want enough to pass the dyno portion of the NOx check during the functional test.

But a 1/2" tube is more than big enough. I had swagelock on one end, and the stock SAE 45 Degree Flare-Nut on my 73 when I originally did the conversion to a set of headers back in 1989...

I got the downpipe a couple days ago and will try to get pictures of it this weekend, I might even try to install it. I think I will be putting a bung farther down stream for the WB02. It looks really nice when I got it out of the box.

• 7 months later...

Any concensus on whether or not it will fit the s130? Ive got alot of my engine bay apart and replacing the downpipe is only a few bolts away.... I dont want to have to take it all apart again just to put a downpipe on. Ill probably just be running the downpipe with a couple feet of tubing to quite it down a little.

Anyone know if the MSA pipe would work on a s130?

nope. S30 has 3in more space at the firewall.

These Aluminized Steel exhaust down pipes were designed specifically for any 70-78 Z using the stock turbo exhaust manifold and turbocharger from a 280ZX.

CRAP!! Any way to modify (cut) the firewall to allow it? I couldnt care less about cutting and hacking on my firewall, I would just want it to fit enough to use it for the time being. The main goal is for it to be in my 78.

it will fit a 78. He asked if it fit S130

Yeah. Im going to get it running really well maybe turn up the boost some then swap it into my 78.

not sure what youd have to do. If mine wasnt all welded up Id pull it and mock it up on a ZX for ya.