HybridZ

Broke a T/C rod... now what?

Well I broke my left tension rod on my 280ZX this past week. Just noticed it today on the hoist at work. I have been chasing a horrible brake pull to left and now I know what's causing it!

Ok now my question is does anyone know if the S30 adjustable tension rods fit on the S130 chassi? I don't have my car at home right now so I can't just go out and look at my good tension rod to compare it to the pics from "Techno Toys" website, so please forgive me if its obvious!

TCROD1.jpg

^^^^^^^Techno Toy Tuning Adjustable S30 Chassi T/C rods^^^^^^

If they are not the same does anyone know if I can get adjustable ones from anywhere? I have searched the web but haven't found anything yet.

If nothing is avaliable does anyone have a parts car that I can buy both tension rods, bushings, metal cups, and nuts? I need this stuff ASAP!

Thanks guys!

Guy

Yup I sure did. I now know that that's probably what caused my failure. I am going to switch to 1 poly and 1 rubber bushing if I go back to stock setup. I am also going to install the bump steer spacers for the bottom of the struts. Hopefully with new T/C rods, new lower ball joints and the spacers my suspension geometer will be good to go after an alignment!

Tony, I sent my info to you. Any info on what I nee to build a set would be great. I really need a stock set to get me back on the road though!

Guy

• 2 weeks later...

Well I just ordered everything that I think I'm going to need to build a set of adjustable T/C rods for my car. Now I just need a 5/8 x 18 die to thread my stock rods(I'm going to talk to the tool guy tomorrow at work to see if I can get just that die...I don't want to spend $300 on a tap an die set that I really don't need.......plus if the die is lifetime warranty that would be great!). I did order enough to make 2 sets of these rods so if all goes well I will have a set for sale when I'm done with mine......price yet to be determined! LOL

My car is still off the road...still waiting to receive a set of stock rods that I bought from another member(post office is taking forever to deliver these things!). I'm feeling withdraw symptoms from not driving my Z when its been nice all week! :cry2:

Guy

Hi Guy, Damn I wish I would have seen this post a week ago!

Guess what? The same thing happened to a friend of ours at the Motorsport show. Only he drove from Arizona. Yes, he did have Poly bushings but no lowered suspension on his S130.

I thought the 510'ers would fit, but I talked to Gabriel at TTT and he said that they won't fit. However, he said he should have the S130 T/C rods available in the next month or so.

I know you can't wait that long, and you already sourced materials, but if you could somehow cancel the order, or return those materials, you could get some TTT ones semi-soon.

Best regards, -Hugh

This is scary stuff to read. I got poly bushings, and have you seen the way the ls1 mounts are? They use that bolt on the end of the tie rod. Might have to pick up a set of those techno toy ones myself after hearing this.

This is scary stuff to read. I got poly bushings, and have you seen the way the ls1 mounts are? They use that bolt on the end of the tie rod. Might have to pick up a set of those techno toy ones myself after hearing this.

I'd get them ASAP if I were running poly bushings, and lowered suspension without any RCA's.

You should have seen it. When the S130 came to a stop, the wheel seemed like it turned maybe 10-20 degrees because of the broken T/C rod!! :icon52: Nooooot good!

I'm going to see about either using one poly and one rubber like Guy said, and / or drill out the poly's like the Dime quarterly article suggested.

Do you know how it broke thou? Was it in a hard turn, auto cross, daily?

He was just trying to keep up with our ZXT's in and around Anaheim. It's not like we were out rallying or terrorizing the neighborhoods, we were obeying the speed limits. Although he was getting pretty squirrelly around the corners following us...maybe he hit a pothole or something and his T/C rod finally gave up the ghost.

It was a pretty clean 90 degree break, with kind of a thick line across the diameter. If it would have broken from torsion, it would have been a 45 degree break.

I'm no failure analysis expert, but I'm guessing that it either fatigued from bending (cracks growing from opposite sides) or else snapped while buckling. If it would have broken from tension, I think I would have seen a cup and cone type of break.

Damn. Well regardless, I will look into it. From the looks of it the Techno toy rods look like they don't use bushings. Is this correct? Anyone running them on the street? Are they harsh(transmit road noise, etc??)

Sorry for the thread high jacking. Its sorta on topic still.

Do you know how it broke thou? Was it in a hard turn, auto cross, daily?

Well I don't autocross and I haven't really driven the car hard yet in the twistys. Mine broke straight across where it necks down at the threads...nice clean break. Mine broke just driving down the road at about 45 mph coming to a normal stop.

As for waiting for TTT stuff, its still going to be $200 for that set up. It's only going to me $60-70 to make a set. Don't get me wrong I'm sure the TTT stuff will be nice. I'm not going to wait and see if they make them only to find out that they aren't going to.

Guy

As for waiting for TTT stuff, its still going to be $200 for that set up. It's only going to me $60-70 to make a set. Don't get me wrong I'm sure the TTT stuff will be nice. I'm not going to wait and see if they make them only to find out that they aren't going to.

Guy

I totally respect and admire your initiative. I hope you will post up pics of your completed pieces!! :2thumbs:

I totally respect and admire your initiative. I hope you will post up pics of your completed pieces!! :2thumbs:

Well after owning a 280ZX for the past few years I just know that getting sweet parts like the S30 chassi has that just bolt in are few and far between. I pretty much just take it for granted that I will have to make everything that I want. LOL I like making stuff like this but sometimes it's nice to whip out the debit card and just order it! LOL

Guy

man my drivers side tension rod just snapped today on the freeway. I only noticed an issue when I hit the brakes, and it pulled really hard to the left. The rod sheared right where the bushings go, when in gets skinnier for the bolt part of the rod. I have to get a replacement tomorrow, but hopefully that T3 stuff will be coming in soon.

The TTT T/c rods do not use any rubber or poly. I wouldn't recomend it for a daily unless you run a bushing in between so that the rearward shock loads arent so bad on the frame.

If you don't need the adjustability just make sure your stock t/c rods are in good shape by inspecting them carefully.

John C. recomends using a conbo of rubber and poly with the poly on the same side as the nut.