HybridZ

Need to buy new rotors & I gotta question...

tommyboy

My Power Slots have lasted a LONG time. I'm not sure, but they might just buy Brembo rotors and slot them.

I've heard that cross drilled aren't that great by comparison. They tend to crack more than slotted. Plus, with slotted, the gasses can escape while the slot is behind the bad. With cross-drilled the gasses can escape into the hole, but cannot escape out of the hole until after the hole leaves from behind the pad.

My Power Slots have lasted a LONG time. I'm not sure, but they might just buy Brembo rotors and slot them.

I've heard that cross drilled aren't that great by comparison. They tend to crack more than slotted. Plus, with slotted, the gasses can escape while the slot is behind the bad. With cross-drilled the gasses can escape into the hole, but cannot escape out of the hole until after the hole leaves from behind the pad.

yea, i dont think they can be that bad alot of sports/super cars/formula 1 race cars use that type of set up. i mainly think it comes down to the manufacturer, if you buy tijuana back alley knock offs then dont be upset if they break when puting them to the test.

as far as the cross drilled not being good then why would a company like brembo make them. the gas escapes between the rotors (front of and back of) middle section. see link

http://www.brembo.com/ENG/HighPerformance-Brakes/

slotted rotors are also very good rotors as well but they to crack/warp/fade it really depends on your set up and what your budget is for your breaking system. as for me i'm going with cross drilled and slotted rotors squeezed by 4 or 6 piston calipers up front (rotor size is still pending on my wheel selection). brembo and others also make the slotted rotors.

and if you want optimum stop power try ceramics (rotors and pads with 6 piston calipers on front and 4 on back with as big of a front rotor you can fit in your wheel ) and brembo, stoptech and others make them to, here is a link to what car brembo has these on. be aware ceramics are high in price

http://www.brembo.com/US/Cars/Corvette2/

as far as the cross drilled not being good then why would a company like brembo make them. the gas escapes between the rotors (front of and back of) middle section. see link

http://www.brembo.com/ENG/HighPerformance-Brakes/

You are totally right plexus, my bad. With vented rotors, the gasses can escape the hole behind the pad. However, our ZX's have non-vented rotors in the rears, so I still think slotted would be better in that case.

Shoot, I thought it was a choice between bolt-on slotted or cross-drilled. If you really want a sweet setup and have ~$2000 USD to spare, go with the AZC six piston, billet calipers with the 13" rotors. HOT DAMN!! :flamedevi

http://www.arizonazcar.com/510brakes.html

Power slot said that they have discontinued the rotors for the s130s, That Sux. Everything that used to be available for s130s is starting to no longer be manufactured and at a alarming rate. Not to mention the super high prices for the few things left you can buy now, I'm betting that in five yrs I wont be able to drive my z unless I make the parts to fix it. I'm looking in to stop-tech now, Ill post the results.

You are totally right plexus, my bad. With vented rotors, the gasses can escape the hole behind the pad. However, our ZX's have non-vented rotors in the rears, so I still think slotted would be better in that case.

Shoot, I thought it was a choice between bolt-on slotted or cross-drilled. If you really want a sweet setup and have ~$2000 USD to spare, go with the AZC six piston, billet calipers with the 13" rotors. HOT DAMN!! :flamedevi

http://www.arizonazcar.com/510brakes.html

Does this set up require and changes in the brake system,

like proportioning valve, change in rear set up, or master cylinder?

Power slot said that they have discontinued the rotors for the s130s, That Sux. Everything that used to be available for s130s is starting to no longer be manufactured and at a alarming rate. Not to mention the super high prices for the few things left you can buy now, I'm betting that in five yrs I wont be able to drive my z unless I make the parts to fix it. I'm looking in to stop-tech now, Ill post the results.

i wouldnt worrie too much on the discontinued parts they will be back ppl are bringing these cars into drifting, so parts will be back and alot more after market avaiblity. not every one can get a 240sx but z cars are plenty ful. prices on the other hand, well thats allways gonna be an issue.

^^^ I agree 100%. S130's are becoming popular again. You should have seen how many 280ZX's were at the MSA show this year. There was probably twice as many compared to previous years.

I think it is because the S130's are over 25 years old, and have the less restrictive emissions requirements now (at least in California).

Does this set up require and changes in the brake system,

like proportioning valve, change in rear set up, or master cylinder?

I'm not sure about the m/c, but I would think you'd need a brake proportioning valve. I think Dave? at AZC could tell us for sure.

Even though the 13" rotors and billet calipers will definately give better braking (and bragging rights, lol) I'm not sure that the increased unsprung weight will be worth it.

Also, I saw a set of the fronts go on ebay for ~$500 last week. The guy said that these won't work with the new suspension setup he's using. Does that mean you cannot run these with coilovers? Maybe he did a 5-lug conversion or something...hmm.

^^^ I agree 100%. S130's are becoming popular again. You should have seen how many 280ZX's were at the MSA show this year. There was probably twice as many compared to previous years.

I think it is because the S130's are over 25 years old, and have the less restrictive emissions requirements now (at least in California).

I don't think it's because of emission standards. Here in CA right now there's no law that allows ANY change in required emission testing standards for ANY car 76' or newer. The S130 cars have to pass the same test they've had to deal with since they introduced the dyno test here in CA.

As far as the rotors go. I wouldn't go slotted or cross drilled on a street car. In a street scenario, and even spirited driving the rotors dont' get hot enough for it to matter. It's more important that they've vented rotors (fronts are stock, rears aren't). You'd see a much greater impact on brake performance if you designed something to push air to the brakes imo. Vented brakes cool pretty well if you have good air flow.

In my 81' I was able to easily lock up all 4 tires in the wet going 65mph on the stock brake system. The tires are much more limiting than the brakes in a street scenario.