HybridZ

The part number thread

Guest Timd

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could everyone please link to or post images they have of the rear dipstick locations on their RB blocks?

There is no definitive thread (with pictures) covering this aspect of the conversion, almost everything else has been though. ;)

The information I have so far is that RB20/26/30 are factory drilled in both locations and the rear is plugged with a brass fitting. These can be pressed out and swapped to the front and vice versa.

The RB25 is embossed but needs to be drilled.

Correct?

I will confirm with my RB30 block when I get back home in the new year.

Thanks

to swap mine over, i used a hammer and punch to knock out the brass plug in the rear, then used the pulg to knock out the dipstick from its original position.

I did this by lineing it up flush with the bottom of the dipstick (the part in the sump) then used the hammer and punch to knock the dipstick out, i knocked it out most of hte way and then just twisted and pulled it out the remainder, leaving the brass plug in the original dipstick hole.

Quite easy to do, oh and the dipstick taps into the rear hole too. Any questions just ask mate :)

I can say with about 90% certainty that only the rb26 has teh 2 holes drilled. i have only personally looked at the rb26 and rb25. This is from memory from 5 years ago but the rb25 only has one drilled and the dip stick is intalled and the rb26 has both drilled and one plugged.

I honestly believe they (nissan) built this motor knowing that it would be installed in other nissans that required rear sump. thats why it has 2 oil pan configuration options and 2 holes drilled for dipsticks.

Guest Aguyandaredhead

OK I can confirm that the 10% Stony left out there is the correct %. I have a 1995 seriesII Rb25det and it is most certainly drilled for both front and back dipstick locations. I can't speak for the series I but all I had to do was tap out the plug in the rear and pull the tube and install it where the plug came out and then reinstall the plug in the front hole.

Just my .2

Jeff

I did this yesterday,

I will post some pics of where the holes are,

As has already been said the RB blocks appear to be all drilled both front and rear to suit the front or rear dipstick location (im using an RB30 block),

Both indintations from the dipstick location look indentical on the block, the one on the rear is plugged with a brass plug and of course the one at the front is plugged with the dipstick,

"to swap mine over, i used a hammer and punch to knock out the brass plug in the rear, then used the pulg to knock out the dipstick from its original position.

I did this by lineing it up flush with the bottom of the dipstick (the part in the sump) then used the hammer and punch to knock the dipstick out, i knocked it out most of hte way and then just twisted and pulled it out the remainder, leaving the brass plug in the original dipstick hole."

This is what i did, it works a treat, just take the sump of and do the above, cant go wrong,

• 1 month later...

I am now at this stage so have ordered the parts just from a local Nissan dealer here. The sump is A$300 including GST, the pickup A$61 and the O ring A$4. When I receive them I will photograph.

Out of interest I checked other part prices with Nissan as well:

N1 Oil pump (same price as standard pump) A$560

N1 Water pump (same price as standard) A$320

Timing belt A$75 (Nismo A$400!)

Complete Gasket set A$470

The parts guy was telling me that until 12 mths ago the N1 pumps were actually cheaper than the standard ones! Mike

I am now at this stage so have ordered the parts just from a local Nissan dealer here. The sump is A$300 including GST' date=' the pickup A$61 and the O ring A$4. When I receive them I will photograph.

Out of interest I checked other part prices with Nissan as well:

N1 Oil pump (same price as standard pump) A$560

N1 Water pump (same price as standard) A$320

Timing belt A$75 (Nismo A$400!)

Complete Gasket set A$470

The parts guy was telling me that until 12 mths ago the N1 pumps were actually cheaper than the standard ones! Mike[/quote']

You should stock up on those then!

I'm too lazy to do the conversion, haha

You slacker! Here you go:

sump is A$300 US $225.84

pickup A$61 US $45.91

O ring A$4. US $3.00

N1 Oil pump (same price as standard pump) A$560 US $421.33

N1 Water pump (same price as standard) A$320 US $240.75

Timing belt A$75 (Nismo A$400!) US $56.43

Complete Gasket set A$470 US $353.63

Looks like your currency is in trouble at the moment, used to be twice, now not that much difference, Maybe Georges management (?!!) is not so good after all eh?

You slacker! Here you go:

sump is A$300 US $225.84

pickup A$61 US $45.91

O ring A$4. US $3.00

N1 Oil pump (same price as standard pump) A$560 US $421.33

N1 Water pump (same price as standard) A$320 US $240.75

Timing belt A$75 (Nismo A$400!) US $56.43

Complete Gasket set A$470 US $353.63

Looks like your currency is in trouble at the moment' date=' used to be twice, now not that much difference, Maybe Georges management (?!!) is not so good after all eh?[/quote']

From my guy, I'm gettin the stuff a lot cheaper.

$135 USD Oil Pan

$ 27 USD Pick Up

$1.50 USD O-Ring

$220 USD N1 Oil Pump

$150 N1 Water Pump

$25 OEM Timing Belt

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

i just cut the flange off my sump and braised it on backwards, cut, rotated and rewelded the pickup and bent the windage fins down to clear the crank journals... seemed much easier and cheaper (about $5 in materials and half an hour's work) also in NZ. surely spending in the neighbourhood of $400 is a little bit drastic for this part of the conversion?