HybridZ

Can I fit 225's on 7" rims?

A friend just called to inform me he found me FORTRAN (apparently big in Japan) rims. 2 pcs 15X8 and 2 pcs 15X7 for $950. I know i can fit 245 on the 15x8 (although best fit would be on 8.5 rims)

The question is can I safely fit 225's on the 15x7 rims?

Thanks.

Although it looks "bulgy" I have a 245 on a 7 inch rim! Will change in the future, so yes 225 will fit easily on a 7 inch rim.

A friend just called to inform me he found me FORTRAN (apparently big in Japan) rims. 2 pcs 15X8 and 2 pcs 15X7 for $950. I know i can fit 245 on the 15x8 (although best fit would be on 8.5 rims)

The question is can I safely fit 225's on the 15x7 rims?

Thanks.

FORTRAN rims, hehe. I used to write Finite Element code in Fortran...

I think you can fit those, but i agree with lorenzo, they may look a teeny bit bulgy, but probably not balloon-like.

It will also depend on the aspect ratio, or "series" of the tire.

For your run-of-the mill 15" 225 tires (50 series), Kumho says they can fit on a rim size 6"-8". So a 7" rim is right in the middle: http://www.kumhousa.com/tires/passenger/high-performance.do (click on view printable spec sheet)

However, they say the section width will be 9.2" on a 7" rim, so the tire would extend past the rim lip [9.2"-(7"+1")]/2 = 0.6" or about 5/8" which isn't too bad and may save your rims from a little unexpected curb rash while parallel parking...

Hope this helped, -Hugh

[Edit: In my opinion, looks are secondary. What you should really be concerned about is the tire rubbing against the strut tube (and excessive sidewall deflection from running too wide of a tire for the rim). If you don't have coilovers, a 4.5" (114.3 mm) is about the maximum backspacing you can safely run without any rubbing issues.

I suggest that once you get your rims, test mount them before you get the tires mounted. I would want at least 1/2" (~13mm) of clearance between the tire and the strut tube (minimum 30mm between the rim and strut tube, just my guess). You will get sidewall deflection from lateral G-forces while cornering. If you don't have this much room, look into running a spacer (which I hope will not be needed) or else go with some 205 width tires like I did on my 7" width rims.]

You may regret 15's.

I would have to agree! It's taken me a while to get used to the 16x7s (with 225s) I have on my car and once it's back together and sits another 1 1/2" lower, it should look pretty good. I was looking and not using them and going with 17s and might still do it, but I'm sure the ride quality is better with the 16s. :)

280Z-06_Pics_121_Medium_.jpg

You may regret 15's.

Why is that so?

---------------------------------------------------------

By the way, I got the rims yesterday and surprise, surprise ... they're 16's and not 15's after all.

2 pcs 16 x 7

2 pcs 16 x 8

I'm still deciding whether to go 235's on all 4 or 225's front and 245's rear.

Red part will likely be painted charcoal-gray.

Here they are:

1.jpg

8.jpg

Why is that so?

---------------------------------------------------------

I should say unless it's a track car. On a street car, 15's IMO, don't fill the wheel well that great without lowering it lower than you will want on the street. There's also not a lot of options in 15" perfomance tires. I would look into what brand you want first and be sure you aren't going to want something softer later as it may not be available in the size you want, also check other brands, the one you pick might discontinue and then you'll be even more limited. In the early 90's I had 15x7 Rikens and wish I bought 16x7's after seeing them one a Z. 15" tires were pretty easy to come by then too.