HybridZ

240z rear windows into 260z-metal graft?

Hi all got a question that might be a bit weird but an answer would be great.

im building up a 260z 2+2. love the long body. however im in love with the rear window lines of the 240z (windows just behind the doors)

would it be possible to get the rear windows from a 240z and the surrounding sheet metal and graft it on to my 260z?

possible , hard , impossible?

Andrew

I guess it could be done but then the window wont follow the roof line. May look wierd. It doesnt seem worth the trouble.

I never did like the 2+2 because of the appearnce of that window and roof line. Get a 2 seater and be done with it! :icon2:

When I was looking for a 240, I had alreay decided that if I could only find a 2+2, I would do this very thing.

It's possible, there have been many more challenging body modifications made, on S30s and other vehicles.

As Jerry said, the top of the window may not flow well with the roof line, but that's just something to work out and change if need be.

actually the idea has stuck with me and in the wee hours of the morning i think it might be doable. i made a mock up of what im chasing here.

p5110285yj5.th.jpg

i think if a merged a 2+2 window with the back end of a 2 seater window and weld in a part of the 2 seater surrounding metal it could work.

ideas would be greatly apreciated

Your quarter window will probably need to be a custom cut glass and frame. First step to do is to photoshop or some sort of rendering that gets everything in the correct shape and proportion. Once this is done you will have an idea of what areas will need to be modified or fabricated. Getting the window frame and glass made should be relatively easy. This is a job that can be intimidating and difficult if your metalworking skills are untested. Window reshaping is commonly done on many of the old traditional customs of the late 40's and 50's that had the roof line "chopped" or lowered. Check out www.jalopyjournal.com. Head over to the link for the HAMB (Hokey Ass Message Board). If you do a thread search for chopped tops. You should get quite a number of threads showing how much of this type of work is completed. Be warned ! the HAMB is addictive and you may never return to the world of cars as you know them.

Larry

www.wgmauto.com

I have a 2+2 as well. It had rust in the rear part of the roof so I had to replace metal there. While I was doing this I changed the height of the crease line of the roof at the rear and brought it marginally closer to the window. This softened the "Hocky stick" angle a bit and made it look a bit better without to much work. I also removed the drip rails at the same time which helps as well. Its due to be painted soon so I am going to black out the crome suround on the windows and also paint the recess the windows area in black as well. If you look at some more recent cars, new suzuki swift comes to mind, you will see that the manufactures do this on the A and B pillars to give the look of contiueous glass. I think you could also do this at the rear of the window. I would do it differently then the coupe and extend it out further then the crome vent. This would visually lenghten the window in this area and also have the effect of narrowing the roof line.

Cheers, Douglas

Chartoo,

Have you considered doing a CONVERTIBLE 2+2? This would give you the freedom to redefine the roofline to your liking with either a cloth top (no quarter windows?) or a removable hardtop (with/without quarter windows). It would look GREAT with the top down. I did a little drawing once upon a time of a topless 2+2 260Z, and it looked very sleek because of the extra length.

Good luck with your project!

I had some luck over the weekend with this project. i found that if a take the left quarter window, turn it upside down and put it in the right hand side it fits pretty well but is now slopped up like the 240z. will get a pic up tomoz. its upper most point is still rounded so it dosnt match match the corner near the front of the door frame but it does match the angle of the windscreen which is good. been practicing on my 50 dollar parts car so i dont wreck my good 260z

While I was doing this I changed the height of the crease line of the roof at the rear and brought it marginally closer to the window. This softened the "Hocky stick" angle a bit and made it look a bit better without to much work.

Cheers, Douglas

Can you explain this a bit more zrossa, photos???, cause that was going to be my next step but i thought it might be a bit ambious. it doesnt look too hard but i thought in reality...

andrew

Basicly I cut along the crease line at the corner and lowered the roof a bit and re welded the roof to the side part at a lower level. Then I removed the extra metal on the side part of the roof. You get the same profile over the middle of the roof but the crease lines profile has now changed. I think it make a bit of a difference. Mines still in primer but when you get paint on it it should show up better. I will try to get some photos this afternoon.

Douglas

here is some photos of the oppostie quarter window frame turned upside down and cut badly into place

dsc00206wo2.th.jpg

dsc00208ki9.th.jpg

but i still wanna make the upper most edge of the quarter window sharp not rounded to match the opposite corner at the bottem left of the door

actually the idea has stuck with me and in the wee hours of the morning i think it might be doable. i made a mock up of what im chasing here.

p5110285yj5.th.jpg

This is good, very good.

As has been suggested, easier to do a custom job to get the shape you want. Perhaps get a boat windscreen maker to do the frames for you?