HybridZ

Side Vent Scoops

BQR280Z

Need some input, tell me what you think, good/bad idea, might work, no way??? Has anyone else tried this??

It is time for a repaint, some small bubbles, and a remake of my raised center hood in fiberglass. So I was looking at the side Z emblem vents, in stock form they act as air extractors, I was thinking of putting a small scoop over them to force air in - creating a high pressure area in th cabin. This would help keep exhaust fumes from entering the cabin.

I found some scoops from a marine/boat supply house that are close. Here's some pix, I will use the purchased scoops as molds and make them out of fiberglass for final installation.

Bill

SANY0143_thumb.JPG

SANY0144_thumb.JPG

Need some input, tell me what you think, good/bad idea, might work, no way??? Has anyone else tried this??

Bill

I would think that water would find its way into the car especially

any running off the drip rail.

It is time for a repaint, some small bubbles, and a remake of my raised center hood in fiberglass. So I was looking at the side Z emblem vents, in stock form they act as air extractors, I was thinking of putting a small scoop over them to force air in - creating a high pressure area in th cabin. This would help keep exhaust fumes from entering the cabin.

I found some scoops from a marine/boat supply house that are close. Here's some pix, I will use the purchased scoops as molds and make them out of fiberglass for final installation.

Bill

I dont no if that would prevent all fumes but it would prevent your heater and AC from changing the temp properly... On a side not could you please PM me the price of those vents? I think they look way cool!

Terry you are right and if you look close the glass ones do follow the window lines. But I did it by cutting the original size not by adding material on the lower side. The effect is not quite as complete a following of the line. But I think once it is all painted one color it will be OK.

Bill

Guest Hunter

To prevent water getting into the car, try putting some fine flyscreen mesh over the holes and maybe drill a water drain into the scoop where the water collected from the scoop can drain away.

Also internally where the vent comes into the car might need a cup to catch water with a piece of tube running outside the car under the floor pan to let this water drain away.

I think to stop the water from coming in you would just need a 90 degree elbow and an inch or two of pipe. (I'm imagining PVC). If you had the elbow mounted on the inside, to the hole where the badge used to be, and pointing up (yes up). On top of that, a couple more inches of pipe just to be safe.

That hole diameter has got to be about two inches. Even in a steady rain there wouldnt be enough air pressure to force the little bit of water up the elbow and up the pipe as well. The air would be able to come in, and the water would be able to run back down into the vent and out again.

Guest Hunter
I think to stop the water from coming in you would just need a 90 degree elbow and an inch or two of pipe. (I'm imagining PVC). If you had the elbow mounted on the inside, to the hole where the badge used to be, and pointing up (yes up). On top of that, a couple more inches of pipe just to be safe.

That hole diameter has got to be about two inches. Even in a steady rain there wouldnt be enough air pressure to force the little bit of water up the elbow and up the pipe as well. The air would be able to come in, and the water would be able to run back down into the vent and out again.

That would work too. Goodluck. Put some feedback in this thread when you test it in the rain. just to see if there is a water problem.

I might do this to my car

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It looks like you've been busy. Have you given any thoughts to baffling the incoming air. I would think that with the windows rolled up, if there were a lot of air coming in, it might make your ears pop like crazy. In my Matrix, if I open just the rear windows, I can feel my ear drums vibrate with every breeze.

Those actually match the lines of the car pretty well. A friend of mine did something similar:

Z%20Ocean%20Pictures%20004(fin).jpg

I'll bet he would prefer the ones you found though...

Nigel

'73 240ZT

OMG NOOO!!! think of the rust!!!