HybridZ

Porsche EV Cars

JSM

I truly believe that this is the car that should be popular right now, the EV car. It is waaay overdue. It's not the be-all end-all of energy and cost problems but it's a major step in the right direction. Kudos to those who are trying to re-pioneer the land that has already been explored and deemed too unprofitable by those with different interests. :rockon:

Not to mention that "tuning/modding" electric cars has infinite possibilities. Click of the mouse and you have a new "cam"! Can someone upload a cam that I can download into my EV? The thought just makes me happy.

The real beauty of the FULLY electric car is that you don't need a new infrastructure to support it. Everyone has electricity at their home and job. Therefore, the grid is in place, and the source of the juice can come from WHATEVER means are available at the time. Don't forget that any plant that converts coal, wind, oil, tide, hydro, nuclear, solar, corn, garbage....whatever, into electricity is doing it much more efficiently than an automobiles internal combustion engine. Ultimately, it's cheaper, more flexible, and greener. Battery technology is finally up to minimum par. All we need is the "spark" of builders and buyers to get the wheel rolling and you will see these begin popping up all over. The price of the cars and the batteries is going to drop quickly from where it is now, stabilizing supply/demand. At the same time you are going to see SEMA jump ALL over this. Just wait and see. I can't wait to see this take off so I can put $1.50 gasoline in my Z's tank again. As the demand for oil drops, it's price will drop in an effort to curb the EV, and to maintain oil sales.

All very good points cygnusx, and I agree with them. Though I fear even if every commuter in the world owner a EV we still wouldn't see the price of oil change that much.

Heavy transportation will still rely on diesel, batteries aren't nearly up to the task of a trucker.

And Air travel. Those things burn lots of fuel and our only solution there is ethanol, which won't be much cheaper, if at all, so why would the airlines switch?

But if someone had been selling EV vehicles 10 years ago and I could buy one used to cheap, I'd buy it... but I drive a good 60 miles a day just for commute, so it would need to have at least that much range.

Infrastructure is there, but when you put the extra demand on the network from everyone plugging in their cars overnight, you are going to quickly realise that the infrastructure is in no way designed for that sort of Extra demand.

Mornings and day and eveings are highest demands mostly. Depends on wheather and location. At nite not as bad.

Itron in liberty lake is working on a system that will have the ablity to shut down high load circuits in your house during certian times of the day, year.

It will be a volentary program that you can recieve discounts if you apply.

This will help to eliminate "brown outs". Kinda cool and kinda creepy.

New fission reactors that run hotter will produce hydrogen as well.

Now think about that, get electricity, convert the natual gas lines to carry the hydrogen for you hot water and funace and CAR!

Not bad from a clean source of energy!!

BTW they have developed a way for mushrooms, yea fungi, to change the metal make up of depleted urainum to make it safe. Not sure if I'd eat one though.

Now if they can make sugar beets do the same............ ethanol! I think most engineers are HybridZ'ers at heart. Cheap, ingenous and effective, just not enough Z's to go aruond. (note the increase in price for the car)

Itron in liberty lake is working on a system that will have the ablity to shut down high load circuits in your house during certian times of the day, year.

Our Hot water systems are already on a simillar system (It only runs at certain times of the day and is a different tarriff).

But even with that, your talking about adding a huge load, which where I live in Summer, people run their aircons all the time, (morning and night), so it still wouldn't be feasible without some huge upgrades to the transmission and generating capabilities.

Not to sure about the hydrogen over your natural gas lines either. Not a piping engineer but I don't think they run at the same temp when compressed. Maybe I'm wrong. So you would be looking at different pipe, flanges, gaskets the whole deal.

But hey, glad to see your thinking about it. and I love your motive, (Make Fuel cheaper for us, hell my car was drinking 20ltrs/100km, so I need all the help I can get).

I think I remember watching Fifth Gear on BBC euro once and them mentioning that manufacturing a hybrid vehicle, primarily; manufacturing the batteries created more pollution from the factories and shipping than the amount of pollution the vehicle will put out over its lifetime

They used a Prius as an example.

anyway.. random notation