HybridZ

Developing the Ultimate S30/S130 radiator

Guest Koyorad

Guest Koyorad

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=133682

Thanks for all the great imput so far!

I wanted to create a more official thread just to discuss radiator design here.

Gollum mentioned that I should concentrate on making the radiator fit the S30 first then the S130 as an afterthought.

As I understand the only difference between the S30 and S130 radiator are the core height and mounting bracket holes.

If that's the case then I can make the core height something in between that of a 240Z and 280ZX.

Then I can have brackets that have holes that will line up to S30 and S130 radiator supports.

John was asking for a double pass cross flow radiator with a built in engine oil cooler.

The only problem I see with that is that the inlet/outlet will be on the same side.

Plus an external EOC could be bigger, more efficient and less taxing on the cooling system.

And the S30 has space for an EOC if you get creative.

But this is my point of view. I'm open to arguments against my opinion.

The design I have in my head is a triple pass downflow radiator.

From the inlet the water will travel down, up then down again to the outlet.

At Koyo we call it "N-FLOW" because the water flow through the radiator is an N-shape.

The core thickness would be 53mm (2 1/16") with two rows of tubes 23.55mm wide.

The inlet/outlet diameter will remain the same as stock.

The radiator mounting brackets would be at the same location as OEM.

Since there is no built in rubber isolation in the OEM copper/brass radiator design

I want to create our own bracket that has built-in isolation from direct radiator to chassis contact.

So what do you guys think of my idea?

Any comments are greatly appreciated!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to see sbc inlet and outlet size, not sure if sbf is the same size or LSX series chevy , but to have all water necks as an option, perhaps with an additional charge or whatever. I like the universal fit idea, saves time, saves money. Now if you had the different water neck options on an order basis it should cover all the bases. Trans cooler I don't see a need for, I don't want my trans oil at 180 degrees temp to start with. Perhaps that as an option as well like most other rads.

Just my $0.02 adjusted for inflation is now $1.29.

Guest Koyorad
I would like to see sbc inlet and outlet size, not sure if sbf is the same size or LSX series chevy , but to have all water necks as an option, perhaps with an additional charge or whatever. I like the universal fit idea, saves time, saves money. Now if you had the different water neck options on an order basis it should cover all the bases.

We'd actually love to do something like that.

The only problem is that less popular applications would rarely be bought or maintained in stock by distributors.

So when you guys order a radiator with not so popular inlet/outlet specs

you guys are stuck waiting a month or two for us to manufacture the radiator to fill a once a year order from our distributors.

Would it be a bad idea just to use radiator hose adapters?

Or do you want one dedicated to just the SBC?

We would need to explore that option and see if there are any shops or distributors who are willing to stock enough of them to fill a minimum number per year.

Guest Koyorad
Double pass with a oil to water heat exchanger in one of the side tanks, please. I've got the specs for this customer built unit from C&R somewhere:

Rad_Mount_Top600.jpg

John, how thick is the core on this radiator? What was this application for? And finally how many stacks of fins does the EOC have?

If people want the EOC built in then it is definitely something we have to look into.

I already have Subaru Impreza guys asking me to do theirs due to the clearance issues they have by converting to front mount intercoolers.

2 row with 30 active tubes in each pass.

3.03" thick.

25.750" wide at the HE.

23.500" wide at the bottom of the core.

13.750" tall.

1.5" inlet and outlet.

-12 inlet and outlet for the Niagra 10 plate HE.

Application was for a racing 240Z running a modified Nissan straight 6.

Guest Koyorad
2 row with 30 active tubes in each pass.

3.03" thick.

25.750" wide at the HE.

23.500" wide at the bottom of the core.

13.750" tall.

1.5" inlet and outlet.

-12 inlet and outlet for the Niagra 10 plate HE.

Application was for a racing 240Z running a modified Nissan straight 6.

Wow... That sounds like it could cool two Bugatti Veyrons at the same time!

What is this car used for? It seems like hill climbing or even dirt oval racing.

More importantly, what kind of radiator was this car using before that gave it cooling problems?

As an aside, we are digging up old diagrams of the S30 and S130 radiators in Japan.

We are also trying to find all the one-off S30 racing radiators that we did in the 70's.

Right now we are just trying to collect as much information as possible.

Guest Koyorad
Here's the specs on the car (it is no more):

http://www.betamotorsports.com/products/rod4sale.html

I had some cooling problems until I redid the bypass circuit in the cooling system. The radiator and heat exchanger worked very well.

Thank you for posting up the information, John.

And thanks to everybody else for contributing!

It seems like the guys in Japan are reluctant on doing any design that deviates from OEM fitment.

What I'll do by the end of this week is put together a survey to determine the exact needs of you guys.

I'll have questions asking if we should include an EOC or mounting points for a Taurus 2-speed fan, etc.

If you guys have any suggestions then please post them up in the next few days.

An exact time frame of when this radiator will be available on the market is a big question mark.

My goal is to have this out by the end of this year...which will be a major push!

As I recall from a friend that has an '82ZXT, the outlet for the radiator, as well as the outlet for the Griffin all aluminum radiator interfered with the alternatior.

He wound up with the Griffin, but cut off the outlet and took out a "V" slice from it and welded it back on to clear the alternator.

If you are truly looking for a universal fit, you might look into this.

Personally, I like the idea/engineering behind the MSA radiator as far as two cores that have elongated tubes...