HybridZ

what seems fair for shipping Z airdam?

big-phil

I won this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=200223912223&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=010

and was told shipping is $137.21 from Miami Fla. I understand I'm getting charged for his time and handling but from thezstore.com I can get a new one for $203 shipped

http://www.thezstore.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=BASK

What can I say...buyer beware! Especially with shipping charges on ebay...if not stated in the auction...always, always, always ask! Otherwise you will eventualy get screwed. Looks like you could have got a new one for the same price. Consider it a lesson in ebay life.

To asnswer your question....... shipping should be actual shipping plus packaging plus a little for for handling.

I sold an MSA airdam to someone in NC from Miami a few months ago and shipping came out to $90 plus an additional $30 on the boxes (major p.i.a.). It only weighed about 19lbs but the because of the size, it falls into a different category and they call it size weight or something like that. Just another way for them to charge you. I ended up eating $30 to compromise with the buyer just because the shipping almost came out to the amount I sold the piece for...

Lesson learned..

Well you should of contacted him before hand otherwise he can charge whatever he likes for shipping. That being said, using UPS ground that sounds about right. Shipping is RIDICULOUSLY expensive now compared to just a year or two ago. Almost everything I sell on Ebay now I eat part of the shipping cost.

Ask him to ship it Grey Hound Express if he doesn't mind. You will have to pick it up at a local terminal but it will probably be around $50.

Phil,

1. Ask for the dimensions and weight on the box.

2. Get his address

3. Go to http://www.fedex.com/ratefinder/home?cc=US&language=en

And do your own quote.

Ebay just changed their policy too. Sellers can no longer leave negative feedback for buyers if you decide to bail, but you will get a non-paying bidder strike.

-------------

I made this up but used the above site using Fedex Ground Home Delivery insured for $100.00

From: Hialeah, FL 33010, U.S.A. | To: Waxahachie, TX 75165, U.S.A.

25 LBS - 70x18x18

It was $127.22

I don't understand why people think that shipping is cheap. Doesn't it take fuel to move things around? Haven't fuel prices gone up? Don't people realize that the price of the part has noting to do with the cost of shipping it (except for insurance)?

When I ship a hood or a hatch it goes into a 66" x 56" x 8" box that gets billed at a 165lb. shipping weight, even though the box, packaging, and hood together weigh in a 50 lbs. I charge people exactly what it costs me to ship the part and I even offer to show them the invoice. Some folks are still completely dumbfounded when I give them the shipping cost. A few go out and price the shipping themselves, only later to come back whimpering. :-)

I've shipped fiberglass hoods all over the country and my shipping cost have doubled in the last two years. My guess is the actual shipping cost of that part would be around $80, if they have it picked up at their house, and delivered to your front door, add to that price, if you asked for insurance add that to the price, packaging materials, add that to the price. Very true prices are getting up there.

I agree 100% with the above. Next month I am going to start charging actual shipping costs because it is starting to get a little ridiculous.

I can't ship an R200 anymore using UPS for $90 flat rate... that MAYBE will cover California... MAYBE.

You think that much for an R200? I just sent one to OH w/ my cost of 50.32. That was with a custom wood box at 90 LBS, 24x12x12.

You think that much for an R200? I just sent one to OH w/ my cost of 50.32. That was with a custom wood box at 90 LBS, 24x12x12.

What carrier do you use? I have been using UPS standard ground typically shipping from Northern California to Southern California. I stopped using FedEx a while back do to some terrible service and mishaps, they never were cheaper for me either. USPS is usually pretty economical, but I have never tried shipping a differential through them, although I might try now.

I shipped a 5"x8"x2" box this morning, weighed less than .3lb to SoCal using UPS standard ground. It was $16.12 to ship, $2 for signature request, and a $3.76 fuel surcharge. Total $21.88. Go figure.

I second Greyhound. I recently shipped a 280z dash from Fort Worth to New Jersey. UPS wanted $120. Greyhound did it for $55. Of course the other party had to drive an hour to pick up....but not a problem if you live near a city.

What carrier do you use? I have been using UPS standard ground typically shipping from Northern California to Southern California. I stopped using FedEx a while back do to some terrible service and mishaps, they never were cheaper for me either. USPS is usually pretty economical, but I have never tried shipping a differential through them, although I might try now.

I shipped a 5"x8"x2" box this morning, weighed less than .3lb to SoCal using UPS standard ground. It was $16.12 to ship, $2 for signature request, and a $3.76 fuel surcharge. Total $21.88. Go figure.

That is crazy money.

I ALWAYS use FedEx. They are much cheaper. Just remember to use Fedex Ground instead of Home delivery. Your limit w/ HD is 75 LBS, where as regular ground should be 150.

I've been ebaying since 02 and FedEx has only lost one package thus far.

It does come with the turn signals of which I need. My air dam ripped off at 100+mph:( along with the left turn signal.

I sent him an e-mail saying that seemed high, I'll see what he says?

Thanks JSM for that info, I didn't no that. Although I have been an e-bay member for 7, or 8 years? I should of asked first, but it was at the end of the auction when I put in my bid. I just didn't think it would be that high for shipping.

I've been ebaying since 02 and FedEx has only lost one package thus far.

I will look into using FedEx or DHL. The reason I stopped using FedEx was not that they lost my packages... it was more a combination of extreme latency one time for absolutely no reason. The second time the package was coming from Maine to CA and I was tracking it... It turned around in Utah or somewhere similar and went to South Carolina for absolutely no reason. I called them and they were most unhelpful. After the 3rd call or so they put it on a plane to me, still got to me about 5 days late. Shouldn't have to call 3 times to get a problem like that remedied. :icon56:

Greyhound is also surprisingly fast. It sucks though that you have to pick it up at a terminal though.

The shipping quote sounds about right. When madkaw shipped me his old Kaminari air dam, it was around $110 if I remember correctly.

The boxes to ship items that large are not cheap nor light.

• 2 weeks later...