HybridZ

82 Fairlady rust damage...

After my new fairlady got rained on for the first time I noticed a lot of water pooled up in both floorboards. Curiosity hit me and pulled up the driver side carpets to find a lovely rust hole through to the frame rail that I thought was solid:

RandomMomsCarsetc067.jpg

RandomMomsCarsetc066.jpg

Now I know I can easily patch that bit of floorboard because the hole isn't too bad and the rest of the board is solid (I checked). I need frame rails though because the only thing that kept this rail looking solid was the undercoating on the car. I emailed Zed Findings about new rails, but have yet to hear back from them and it's been over a week. Anyone on here know who I can contact about frame rails for an 82ZX 2+2?

I would cut and splice in the section you need from a junkyard or donor car, I did this with my old Toyota Corolla GT-S and it worked and fit perfectly. My scrap yard allows me to take power tools in which is why this was feasable in the first instance.

59486609.jpg

Regards -

Yasin

i say screw the car, its automatic

who needs LHD anyway

no, just kidding, if you ask me(i have a leak problem)out of sight out of mind

Actually I was hoping this car would eventually be my show car. Out of site out of mind doesn't work for me. If I know it's there it ill irritate me until I fix it.

a show car is nice but do you know what would make me scream like a little girl? a s130 lhd drift car, swap in a newer engine like the sr's and rb's mabe one of those VK45 v8s and get a nice little sponsor, do a couple Formula D rounds and you would be my #1 more than superman hero...

a show car is nice but do you know what would make me scream like a little girl? a s130 lhd drift car, swap in a newer engine like the sr's and rb's mabe one of those VK45 v8s and get a nice little sponsor, do a couple Formula D rounds and you would be my #1 more than superman hero...

Yes that would be nice (and it's a RHD not LHD, I know what you meant though). But, for as hard as Fairlady's are to find around here I'd much rather get this one running properly and cleaned up for shows. Fortunately it shouldn't take much work.

Wow.....Fanboy much? :rolleyesg

On my 280ZX, I had to replace part of the floor panels. If the rust out spot isn't very big, you can use the sheet metal from a realtor sign (Hose for Sale). It's the same thickness and locally available. Saves you time & money, unless you get caught. lol

On my 280ZX, I had to replace part of the floor panels. If the rust out spot isn't very big, you can use the sheet metal from a realtor sign (Hose for Sale). It's the same thickness and locally available. Saves you time & money, unless you get caught. lol

Hahaha.. thats awesome.

I got lucky in the rust department with my 2+2

Battery operated tools are wonderful.

My stepdad has a set of black 'n decker(or some similar brand) of multi-tool battery operated stuff. Has a flash light, a power screw driver, and a mini sawzall. I've been using the mini battery powered sawzall to remove the rusted half of my dash board, works decent for that. I don't think it'd have the juice to make it through a floor pan or rails though. Do battery tools really count as "power" tools though? They just have such little umph to 'em usually :-/

My stepdad has a set of black 'n decker(or some similar brand) of multi-tool battery operated stuff. Has a flash light, a power screw driver, and a mini sawzall. I've been using the mini battery powered sawzall to remove the rusted half of my dash board, works decent for that. I don't think it'd have the juice to make it through a floor pan or rails though. Do battery tools really count as "power" tools though? They just have such little umph to 'em usually :-/

Ummm, sounds like cheap tools to me. I've got some battery powered dewalt and makita tools that are just as powerful as the plug in and air operated stuff. Those cost a pretty penny though.