HybridZ

Headlights?

Well I have had my 280z for about a year now and I am not sure if the low beams have ever worked. I bought it from a good guy who claims it worked when he had it. I have replaced both headlights and that didn't work. I have checked the fuses for the headlights near the passenger floor board and they are good. It has a new windshield wiper/ headlight switch. Both high beams work but the low beams don't work. Are there any other fuses that i could have missed? Everyone is telling me it is the headlight switch but i can't find any for my model year (early 77' 280z).

I purchased a new headlight switch and it should be here in 8 days. Lets hope that works. I've been searching numerous forums and it seems 280z-280zx have had alot of trouble with the contacts within the headlight switch.

The first turn on the headlight switch are the running lights, the second turn on the switch is the headlights + running lights. When the turn signal switch is pulled in there should be a blue light that comes on in the dash where the speedometer is. When its clicked again it should be the low beam. I don't think this car had "two" high beam headlights. Some one correct me if i'm wrong.

The headlight switch works on the 2nd click (the park lights come on). When I turn it up one more click the headlights don't come on but the park lights stay on. If I click the high beam switch, which is another switch, the high beams come on and the blue high beam light comes indicating they are on. If I click the high beam switch again, it is suppose to turn off the highbeams and turn on the low beams. The low beams never come on. So it seems to me that the 3rd click on the windshield wiper/ headlight switch doesn't work.

Woah wait a minute, so you're saying that the combo switch doesn't control the brights? One click is dash lights, two clicks is lights, and pulling the turn signal actually controls the brights???

I'm an idiot if that's the case. I thought my low beams weren't working. Maybe it's my turn signal switch that's not letting me turn off the brights. Wow...

• 3 months later...

Has anyone fond a solution to this yet? Did the new headlight switch work? I'm having the same problem; one day both low beams went out. Same exact problem as ktown z, the brights work but low beams don't. I've checked fuses, bulbs, connectors, they are all good. Only thing left is the switch. Any other ideas?

On my 73 there is a connector in front of the bottom of the radiator for the headlights. One night I lost all headlights close to home (luckily!). Turned out the connector wasn't firmly connected any more. Pulling it apart and pushing back together solved it. It may not be what's causing your issue, but I'd double check it anyway.

The other issue could be that the contacts and plastic that holds them is worn. Try wiggling the switch with them on. If they flash on/off for even a second, that's the most likely issue. I've already cleaned the contacts, but the plastic is so worn that I suspect I'm going to have to find a replacement.

I have had that problem intermittently, but I guess not as severe because

sometimes it would fix itself or if I turned the brights on then the low beams would then work.

I checked and/ or replaced the headlight stalk/ switch, fusible link and headlight connections and haven't had it happen lately...

• 2 weeks later...
:flamedevi Don't know if it will help, but I had the same problem with my 71 240Z. I finally had to get the wiring harness improvement from one of the part houses (Black Dragon Auto) (part nu#72-040). It was not a plug-in and forget system. I had to splice and cut all of it into the system. But it has given me both hi/low beams and has brighten the lights on both levels. It sounds like you have a cut line or a dead ground some where in the low beam line. It also could be the connectors at the headlight. They rust up pretty bad over time. Good Luck with this problem. Please keep us informed on how you were able to fix this problem.:b_hand: