HybridZ

Drifting set-up

Well...I've thought about the L28ET but I just fell in love with DOHC engines and I really like how the SR20DET looks in the S30 egine bay. I guess I'm one of those that like to mix old school with new school, putting newer engines in classic cars.

Well, If your going for looks the Rb26DETT sure looks shocking in an s30 bay.

IMO I think 4 cylinders looks kinda funny in there.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you suggesting drifting imposes more lateral stress than autocrossing? Surely not.
I wasnt trying to imply that it was more stress, simply different stresses in certain cases.

Never said drifters broke more than AutoXer's or Drag racers.

I'm thinking more with the learning curve, most of the people I've seen drift around here, werent very good. You can put a car under a lot of weird stresses if you do something wrong when drifting. I brought it up more as a cautionary "Be prepared to break things" point.

the reason why the Z isn't good for drifting is because the turning arc thing...STEERING ANGLE (sorry took a while to find the word)

the Z has a poor steering angle for drifting, so if you wanted to competitively drift, you would want to modify the entire front suspension to have a higher steering angle.

and seeing an old Z drift...is AWESOME.

newer imports are meh when it comes to it. but seeing a Z sideways, wheels screaming, is something else completely.

• Administrators
I wasnt trying to imply that it was more stress, simply different stresses in certain cases.

Never said drifters broke more than AutoXer's or Drag racers.

I'm thinking more with the learning curve, most of the people I've seen drift around here, werent very good. You can put a car under a lot of weird stresses if you do something wrong when drifting. I brought it up more as a cautionary "Be prepared to break things" point.

Curbs in the Wally World drifting lot at 2:00 AM will induce “different” stresses on the suspension components vs Auto-crossing and Drag racing, for sure. :lmao:

it also depends on what style of drifting you are tying to get into. I would highly recommend searching for "the drift bible". In it Keiichi Tsuchiya, the REAL drift king, shows techniques used for two different styles of drifting. Basically a "show" difting style as well as a more competitive almost "racing" style of drift. You can have the same car do both, but it might help you to understand more clearly how to best set up your own car.

I would try to get some seat time in an S13 somewhere first just so you can get a better idea of what a drift car feels like. Granted, a Z will feel way different from a 240sx, but the S13's are such forgiving drift cars, that you should be able to pick up on cues that you can figure out how to make work for your Z.

Good luck! I'd love to see some more sideways Z's

I have watched Drift Bible. I borrowed it from a friend a while ago and recently found it on youtube, the whole 71 minutes of it and surprisingly good qaulity. I also own the book Drifting:The Art of Oversteer. I'm not one to just jump in a try to take the car to the limits first try. I work myself in it slowly, mainly because I consider myself a bad driver in order to force myself to get better. I wasn't even going to try to start drifting in the 260Z until I "become one with it" first....so to speak. I haven't gotten to drive it yet because it's back home and I'm currently 1000miles away from home and can't pick it up for another 1.5 weeks. I want to get a feel for the car, get an idea on how it will react, before I push it at all. I like being safe rather than sorry.

there's a good trick that was taught to me to give me a feel for how my car reacts under extreme conditions.

Basically find an open parking lot, and put your car into a tight 360* turn...keep the turn radius the same but start tightening it by adding more power...then when you feel like its right on the edge of what it can handle, mash the gas and try to react. Another version is to let go of the gas and react.

This little excersize helped me a bunch when i first started driving my car and wanted to get a good feel for it. (Also teaches you how important it is to be smooth, and not to mash the gas/brake etc)

Honestly if your goal is to drift the car I personally wounldn't mess with a complex engine swap. Just go snag an l28et toss on the MegaSquirt Do some bolt on's bigger turbo ect (dont get to crazy) and then spend the time and money where it needs to be suspension and chassis. Keep focused on your goal, if you want to drift then figure out what you need to do to make that happen and don't deviate, and keep the plan as simple as possible. A sr20 would be nice but do you need it? No would it take up more time more money? Yes. Personally I wished that I had never swapped the 8 into my car I made alot of errors doing it, but could a nice turbo swap/ upgrade could have made the power i wanted. It would have been much cheaper and running many years earlier. So my advice is take the easier route with the motor save the money and put it into the harder more complex things you will need to improve esp the suspension. Just my 2cents

Well...I've thought about the L28ET but I just fell in love with DOHC engines and I really like how the SR20DET looks in the S30 egine bay. I guess I'm one of those that like to mix old school with new school, putting newer engines in classic cars.

A good SR20DET will be fine as will the rest of a good S30. With a few mods. Go for it.

• 1 month later...

I agree with the people that said steering angle is one of the bigger problems, but even that isnt a big deal. A s30 can get pretty dang sideways before your limited steering angle will hold you back.

I think a bigger issue would be the time it takes, and the amount of turns on the wheel it takes to get from full lock to the other full lock, quick steering knuckles are a must.

It is also important to remember that whatever problems the s30 has when it comes to drifting can be modded and fixed.

SLIDE ON!