HybridZ

Dual Stage Throttle Body

Challenger

Well I was at the junkyard today and found what looked to be from a really small 4 cylinder, it was a "dual stage" throttle body. It had two butterfly valves, one smaller one that opened at low throttle levels and than the second larger one that opens up at full throttle. Anyone know what this is off of or cars that used this? I didnt have any hex keys to remove it so I left it. Might go back for it.

The opening to the throttle plates kinda oval shaped?

Could be early '80s VW 2.0L, from Scirocco, and other similar VWs.

*edit* Looks like this?

45dc_1.JPG

Golf%202.0%2016v%20TB%20-%20White.jpg

I've thought about using these as well, but have decided to make progessive linkage for dual throttle bodies if I ever feel the need for a progessive set-up.

Nissan used the dual butterfly valve with progressive openings on some FI vehicles as well. Early 1980’s 200SX for example. Too small to be used on an engine larger than 2 liters. More common on the JDM Nissans. I’ve even seen it on a Fairlady Z.

• Administrators

Ah the ole "Two barrel, mechanical secondary, MPFI! :lmao: I'm sure somone can configure those TB's for vacuum secondary operation, I.e. Load sensing/controlled secondary operation. Z.

Sorry, I couldn't hold that any longer fella's :lmao:

Now if you can get 6 of those, one for each intake port, then have the smaller primary feed a really long small diameter runner, then at a set RPM at WOT, the secondary buterfly opens up to a shorter larger runner, like the Yamaha built Taurus SHO V-6?!?!?

The S130's with both L28E and L20E in the JDM had progressive throttle linkages/TB's with the standard mounting for the TPS.

The L20's primary opening was about the size of an American Dime, while the L28's was aroudn the size of an American Nickel.

The engine usually would run at cruise and up to about 3500rpms on the primary bore. So running around normally you used a lot of the throttle play---almost 3/4 of total pedal travel. Your engine vacuum signal was quite high as a result-you got better fuel economy.

But cruising along the road at 3000, you touch the throttle and the tip-in of the larger bore caused a great surge of power (er...whatever you want to call it for a stocker...) compared with a similar actuation of the smaller T/B opening.

It really makes driving the car nice and smooth away from a corner. I only wish I could find a way to open up the stock bodies to a larger secondary/smaller primary for cammed operation. It would give a better MAP signal in the plenum opposed to a larger 60 or 65mm T/B at all cruise and low speed operation parts of the fuel map, while the larger secondary is there for mechanical operation when you press it the rest of the way to the floor.

I'm thinking JeffP would appreciate such a feature on his car nowadays...heh heh heh

I stripped a car once long ago with this type of TB. If memory serves me correctly the manifold is also shaped to match the "oval" TB shape vs. the round version found on the round bore TB that is on most others. I did some "light research" and again if I recall the gains is much less than a big bore TB on a round manifold flange...

All the Nissan L-Plenums are designed to have the dual-stage style T/B on them---that's why the 'egg-shaped' hole is there---it readily approximates the small and larger bores.

And the L20E plenums are much smaller than the L28E's in that area.

None of the L-Engine plenums I have ever seen had a 'round hole' on them, they were all egg shaped.

what US market cars might this nissan throttle body be found on? any chance we could recon some of this linkage setup you talk of, or is that a japan-only type gig?

My wheels are spinning furiously over something...I think I am having an idea.

All the Nissan L-Plenums are designed to have the dual-stage style T/B on them---that's why the 'egg-shaped' hole is there---it readily approximates the small and larger bores.

None of the L-Engine plenums I have ever seen had a 'round hole' on them, they were all egg shaped.

after a bit of google-fu you're RIGHT I never knew that they were egg shaped. But why are they designed like that? I've never seen a dual staged throttle body on one.

You doubted me?

Go back and read the thread, and you'll find they're JDM for the most part. Doesn't make sense to make one special manifold you can only use on ONE vehicle, you make them 'common' so little bits can bolt on and change it's character. That's the way OEM's think.

They may have been on other Non-US models, Cedric, Gloria, Leopard, Laurel, etc.... Anybody in the UK or India care to chime in on that one? Saudi? Saudi got conventional distributors and FOUR BARREL CARBS on the VG30 powered Hardbody Trucks (so don't laugh yourself too hard, JohnC!)

You doubted me?

Well they do call you Wiki... and we all know how reliable that is. :wink:

Just kidding Tony. lol

The principle in a variable throttle body is interesting, but I believe it would be best if you setup a throttle by wire setup with some stepper motors. You could integrate it with boost and throttle depression in your EMS to make max power, low end torque, or economy.

Adding more variables has a tendency to make problems though... :ugg:

Go back and read the thread, and you'll find they're JDM for the most part.

.."for the most part," but what USDM vehicles might we find the Nissan TB you mentioned on? I cannot recall seeing it, but older 4-banger 200SXs aren't something I look at for throttle bodies, normally that is stanza's and 240SXs...

Could an L24 maxima have one?

"on most others...big bore TB on a round manifold flange..." I wasn't really talking about the round TB and intake manifold from the L-6 cylinder Datsun. I was more speaking towards the 240SX swap that is popular for EFI guys on an aftermarket manifold, although I seen a Weber TB once. As I stated the stock manifold is oval or "egg-shaped" as you called it.

While we are on it, I seen a round log style intake manifold that looked like it was made from round stock welded together with equal length runners. Looks like that could be a performer. Seen one with a TB between cylinders 3 and 4. That too might perform.