HybridZ

Removing Spare tire well for exhaust

has anyone totally removed the spare tire area, and made it flat bottom with the car?

I thought about notching it, but if i did that, it would be useless, so why not just completely remove it?

I want dual exhaust, and i want 2 mufflers. From what i have read there is almost no room for this setup

• Administrators
has anyone totally removed the spare tire area, and made it flat bottom with the car?

Sure have. Many people have removed the well for one reason or another (fuel cells probably most common). I did it for exhaust.

I did it for both.

HPIM0153.JPG

10889Picture_044.jpg

Jesus, that sounded freakin awesome!

How high did you spin that 327 in the video? sounded great. What series flowmasters are those? I usually hate flow's but damn, i can only imagine what my 302 will sound like through those.

Do you have any pics of the exhaust, how its routed along the trans tunnel? i hear you check for neutral when you start it, what kinda gear box do you have?

Sweet sweet ride man.

Yep, because I wanted duel exhaust too. I installed a Camaro fuel tank with the built in fuel pump from my LT1 donor car. I picked up some truck flooring to make the flooring, its corrugation structure adds some rigidity to the floor. I also added a 1x4 brace across the center of the opening the add some bracing.

tank-frame3.jpg

Jesus, that sounded freakin awesome!

How high did you spin that 327 in the video? sounded great. What series flowmasters are those? I usually hate flow's but damn, i can only imagine what my 302 will sound like through those.

Do you have any pics of the exhaust, how its routed along the trans tunnel? i hear you check for neutral when you start it, what kinda gear box do you have?

Sweet sweet ride man.

Thanks! Maybe a light 5000ish. The motor rips to 6500. Not sure the series of flowmasters, its been awhile. They make many sizes. The main housing length without offset style inlet and outlet is 13 inches. Hooker long tube headers. Never had an issue with ground clearance, yet, with the car 1.5 lower than stock unsectioned. Here is a longer vid but it shows the pipes more. Gearbox 1998 T-56 using Bob Weir conversions.

BuZy, I watched that vid, pretty sick setup man. If you did all the work, great job. Looks like no short cuts were taken.

now, the 98 t56 should be an LS1 unit, right? I have actually been searchin for an Lt1 t56, becuase i thought it would be easier to make work, how much is the weir kit? I went to thier website, and there is no pricing information.

Im aware that flowmaster makes many series, i run Series 40 delta flow, flowmasters on my truck they are rather quiet, for my z, i would rather have your sound.

Do you have an aluminum flywheel or something? that 327 rapped up real quick man. I am buildin a 302 chevy for that exact reason.

BuZy, I watched that vid, pretty sick setup man. If you did all the work, great job. Looks like no short cuts were taken.

now, the 98 t56 should be an LS1 unit, right? I have actually been searchin for an Lt1 t56, becuase i thought it would be easier to make work, how much is the weir kit? I went to thier website, and there is no pricing information.

Im aware that flowmaster makes many series, i run Series 40 delta flow, flowmasters on my truck they are rather quiet, for my z, i would rather have your sound.

Do you have an aluminum flywheel or something? that 327 rapped up real quick man. I am buildin a 302 chevy for that exact reason.

I think the kit I have is an early LT1. Bob Weir makes kits for LS1 or LT1. Call him and ask what gear box and clutch type would be best for you. He has GREAT knowledge of his product. Proven quality stuff. It's not cheap. But in my opinion it is very much worth it.

The mufflers are the race series, not the street type. Yes I do run an aluminum flywheel.

Weir Hot Rod Products

Bob Weir

Order line 800-633-9869

Tech Line 707-647-0513

Fax 707-642-4446

My Kit, invoice reads..

LT1 T56 Conv Kit $560

M/C Kit $69

Shipping $30

Total $659

(Prices may have changed as I purchased this in 2002)

Summit Racing

Clutch Set, Alum Flywheel. $570

(Prices may have changed as I purchased this in 2002)

I used a sawzall to cut out the tub, using the lip at the guide, then used the tub as a template to cut out some 16ga sheet and welded it up.

BUZY, do you have any pics or other info on your fuel cell and the box you have it sitting in? I like it a lot, looks mechanical :)

buZy,

Thanks for all the info!

I thought that just had to have an aluminum flywheel to be rappin up that quick. I havnt heard one yet in a street driven car. I hear people complain about them becuase the RPMS drop too much between shifts, i think those people just are not shifting it fast enough. Is it alot different than a steel flywheel?

Thanks for the flowmaster info too. Wouldnt have thought they were race mufflers.

I also saw the video of the exhaust you posted on youtube, thanks!!

HarrisonTX. Flywheel works great on the street. Didn't notice much difference between alum and steel execpt for the static weight differenece. The car is so light and with V8 torque it's not much of a factor I guess.

Go aluminum, unless your building a drag style car.

BillZ260. Sorry no pics of the install. But here is the cell I used and built the box frame around it.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2D290112&N=700+115&autoview=sku

I thought about notching it, but if i did that, it would be useless, so why not just completely remove it?

I want dual exhaust, and i want 2 mufflers. From what i have read there is almost no room for this setup

I have removed mine,thinking about modifying to a flat bottom for future battery relocation. Free up some space in the engine compartment.

• 1 month later...

Hate to drudge up an old thread.

But, my gas tank is trash. I want to remove some weight, and figure by taking the wheel well out, with the old tank and straps, that should shave some weight.

What kind of bracing should be done to maintain at least factory rigidity in the area?

Figure I can tackle this as a weekend project, but I need to know what kind of time I will have to spend bracing the area, and if the added weight of bracing will add up to what I wanted to eliminate.

Thanks for any help, or ideas.

Hate to drudge up an old thread.

But, my gas tank is trash. I want to remove some weight, and figure by taking the wheel well out, with the old tank and straps, that should shave some weight.

What kind of bracing should be done to maintain at least factory rigidity in the area?

Figure I can tackle this as a weekend project, but I need to know what kind of time I will have to spend bracing the area, and if the added weight of bracing will add up to what I wanted to eliminate.

Thanks for any help, or ideas.

You'll need to search. There are several threads with images showing completely different methods, etc. One thing I think you will find, however, is that few (if any) think they saved weight. Several different install methods used 1"x1" square tube (IIRC). You'll haveta see what wall thickness they used, I guess. They aren't really designed to protect in a crash, though.