HybridZ

Need help for a decision, my new front suspension / hubs / brakes

Hey there fella Z Brothers, have a look at my new front suspension I put together from this and that...

The car is a 71 240z, 350SBC, and 35 year old suspension (well, till now).

This car will be my street / occasional road race track day car so I wanted to update the suspension and freshin it up a bit.

Ok, here is what I have dont up to this point:

Powder coated crossmenber, lower contriol arms, struts

Cut off factory spring perch's

TIG on new perch stops for coil over sleeve

Installed Tokio 5 way's

Techno Tunning strut rods

Energy suspension poly bushings everwhere

AZC 12.2" vented rotors

AZC / Wilwood 6 pistion calipers (I know over kill, hehehe)

280ZXT 5 lug hubs

1-1/8" front swaybar

Stainless brake lines

Hypercoil springs 10" 200LBS

New rack and pinion from 280Z

So, where I need help deciding what to do is this:

Originaly I wanted to go with the steel (STEEL) 5 lug hubs because they are STEEL!!! (being in the mechanical engineering world, I dont like 6061 for its fatigue strength on critical parts). I know they push the front out 3/4" but I thought that be ok.

Note: AZC does not offer a brake kit for use with the 5 lug 280Z hubs, never the less I bought the kit with the parts they (AZC) suggested to get me as close as possible. AZC said that I may have to make new mounting brackets to fit the caliper over the rotor mounted to the 280z 5 lug hibs.

Now, wanting to get the front done ASAP, Im contemplating calling AZC up and getting his 5 lug hubs (even though they are 6061 ALU) because they will keep the wheel mounting plane in the original location (no 3/4" offset), and I could just bolt everything together instead of having to model up new caliper brackets and go cut them on the CNC.

So Im in kind of a funny spot, what would you do in my shoes???

Thanks ALL!!!!!!!!

I've been using AZC's five lug alumnium race hubs on my track car for a couple of years. I originally bought them because they were alumnium and would help to lower the rotating mass number. They are a quality part but I did manage to spin a few of the long wheel studs in the hubs. They are on a road race car and see many tire/wheel changes. I reinstalled new studs and set them in JB Weld and have had no problems since. I'll point out that I also spun a few of the rear wheel studs in the steel axles. I then spot welded those in place. This problem could have been caused by poor splines on the ARP studs. But........All is well that ends well.

Clifton, yes Im using the Z31 5 lug hubs, sorry for the confusion.

So, the AZC hubs push each front wheel out .5"???

If that the case, I'll stick with the Steel Z31 5 lug hubs, and create a Soliworks model for a new caliper bracket, cut in on the CNC and be done.

By they way Clifton, your car rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Pete

Thanks. I'm pretty sure it was .5 on his 5 lug. It has been a while since I put them on.It was less than the Z31 though. I think Z31's n/a are .75" or around there. I know the Z31T hubs use a slip on rotor were the n/a bolts on the back. I recall him selling a kit to someone with a Z31t hub like yours so he might have what you need. I don't know if you are buying a kit from him and then designing bracket because you have to or designing it because you want to.

Thanks. I'm pretty sure it was .5 on his 5 lug. It has been a while since I put them on.It was less than the Z31 though. I think Z31's n/a are .75" or around there. I know the Z31T hubs use a slip on rotor were the n/a bolts on the back. I recall him selling a kit to someone with a Z31t hub like yours so he might have what you need. I don't know if you are buying a kit from him and then designing bracket because you have to or designing it because you want to.

It's the 87+ turbo's that used the slip on 5 lug, not the bolt on.