HybridZ

watch this video it could save your butt!

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4826897 (tire age)

I forget most guys don,t know how to read those numbers or what they indicate

I think the POINT IS....if you drive like many of us who own vettes ,do, having newer and flexible tires rather than older tires that are more likely to have problems is smart, but most guys don,t even know how to tell the differance, and the newer the tires are and the higher the speed and load ratings are the less problems your likely to see.

BTW

http://www.rojawheels.com/wheeltech/DiameterCalculator/DiameterCalculator

How (and how often) you dress the tire is a factor that hasn't been mentioned yet...

Ever notice the brown gunky film that appears on tires after awhile? It is supposed to be there since that is how the rubber is protecting itself.

I know tires look a lot nicer when you rub it off buffing with tire shine. It could actually be worse for the tire's life if you simply remove it, without properly re-protecting it...

http://www.meguiars.com/faq/index.cfm?faqCat=Wheels%20and%20Tires&faqQuestionID=59&section=_59#_59

How (and how often) you dress the tire is a factor that hasn't been mentioned yet...

Ever notice the brown gunky film that appears on tires after awhile? It is supposed to be there since that is how the rubber is protecting itself.

I know tires look a lot nicer when you rub it off buffing with tire shine. It could actually be worse for the tire's life if you simply remove it, without properly re-protecting it...

http://www.meguiars.com/faq/index.cfm?faqCat=Wheels%20and%20Tires&faqQuestionID=59&section=_59#_59

Nice info there, just learned something....thanks!

Thanks all, good info:

Second note: when you rent a car make sure that the tire tread is good, especially front-wheel-drive cars. Of course, checking the DOTE number could be beneficial to you too.

When the L28ET in my zcar was being rebuilt, I rented an economy car to drive to KC. On the return trip, the left-front tire went while crossing (55 mph) the Missouri River and driving adjacent to an 18-wheeler. Not good.

jkh280zx

thats tru, i work at discount tire and about 6 months ago, we had a meeting about that, but of course we dont have nothing any older than 4 years, and its just 1 tire that was special order and they never came and got it so weve had it for like 2 years, its a 305/35/ZR22, no one EVER needs that tire, lol!!

the worst part in knowing about these things is no matter how many times i try to warn my friends and family about issues like these, they freak out for like 2 seconds, and then they forget I ever told them. or the best one "its fiiiiiiiiine" with a huge grin on their face.

kind of makes me worry, cause i love my friends and family!!!

this is the equivalent to when italy won the world cup in 2006. i was downtown celebrating with what must have been at least 10 - 20,000 people ... and a bunch of police officers (one of which is my friend's brother), were arresting an individual whom a lot of us who live in that area know... and all for "no reason". it turns out that he had called in a bomb threat, but no one around knew that at the time, except for my friend's brother who told me silently. what if, infact, it was like a "ticking timebomb", as the news reporter described these tires? what if there was a bomb and it went off that day. PEOPLE DESERVE TO KNOW AND BE TOLD!

sorta makes you wonder sometimes. CHECK UP ON PEOPLE!