HybridZ

Rebirth of a Road Racer

Hehehe,,,,,, I know how you feel about that tranny. T5 is a beast. I took mine out to do the front seal cause it pucked all over my new slipping clutch.....!@@!@#@#$.... Had it on the jack........... Had is the correct wording. Sliding the jack backwards it deceided it didn't like the jack anymore and fell off. WHEW!!!!!! I didn't break anything.... to put it back in I did as usual with no lift and tranny jack. Slide tranny into place, block it up a little. Slide under tranny with head by flywheel, and put the tranny on my chest. Hump it up cussing and screaming into position, hopeing like crazy I can hit the hole before I get tired........

Wife comes out to the garage..... What the $$??? are you doing? I can hear ya cussin in the house. LOL!!!!!!!

I need a lift!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel your pain when it comes to transmission work. I have replaced or worked on my tranny a few times. Well I decided to work smarter and found this on sale one day: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=39178

It is worth its weigh in gold when it comes to tranny work or even the occasional rear-end replacement and every now and again they are on sale for like $45 or so.

Enjoy!

HB280ZT

I just stumbled upon this post and had to go through and read/inspect everything. Another late night. But in all seriousness for those of you who haven't had the pleasure to personally see this car coming together in stages I must say it is a sight! Tim, I can't wait to hear 'er run buddy. You are making OUTSTANDING progress by my standards... then again you probably don't want to be judged by those.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finally! About 20 min. worth of wiring work and she should be ready to fire. I believe I have all the bases covered. All fluids, all electrical, fuel, oil, all Aeroquip fittings tightened and sealed with Teflon paste. I can't think of anything else I need. The fuel pump appears to be wired in series with the old TEC II system, and that's through a relay, so I believe we have that worked out now. Won't be long. Here's what we ended with today. God - I can't believe, two years later and nearly $18K in parts, and my baby is about to give life.....and it's old school. It won't keep up with turbos, it ain't nothing fancy, but by gosh - it is all my effort. Nobody else helped with this project, it's all been me -and best of all - it's all been YOU!! I couldn't have gotten to where I am without the great folks on this website. Many thanks to all of you! Website updates to follow shortly.

3.1Rear.jpg

3.1R.jpg

3.1RL.jpg

DGV-012.jpg

DGV-008.jpg

DGV-010.jpg

DGV-013.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

After trying to figure out why it won't run worth a crap, I decided to see what jetting the PO had put in the carbs to baseline against. Lo and behold - EMPTY holes! He took the jets out and put them in a divider box prior to shipping me the carbs! Duh - that should have been my first clue.

Jets in - fired right up. A few tweaks and it idles well. Still a little stumble coming off idle - I've been reading all the Mikuni posts I can on this site - but when the carbs come on, it's like a 2 stroke - hang on! Still need a good exhaust system and alignment (and tags!), and minor timing tweaks, as well as retorquing the manifold bolts after a heat cycle - but for the most part, it seems to do OK. Will be taking video this weekend for all those interested.

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice work. I will be coming up on 2 years myself with my Stroker build. I live near Charlotte, so when I'm done I will be driving it to Atlanta from time to time. (roadworthy in the spring....hopefully)

I noticed where you mounted your coil packs, very interesting choice. I decided to mount mine where the battery was. Like you, I thought it cleans it up much better to have the coil on the same side as the spark.

Where did you put the battery? Since my Z is still at the paintshop, they are building out the passenger toolbox to fit my Optima battery. I think it will work well.

I also envy your Arizona Z suspension setup....that is Mack Daddy!

Don't forget about the Video, and please let me know some details of the exhaust: custom?

OK - I've been working on the "minor" things trying to get the car roadworthy. The exhaust that's on it is a P.O.S. 2 1/4" system that's been hacked together - but it was free, and it will suffice to get it to the exhaust shop. I've already got the "S" pieces for the rear of the exhaust in 3" mandrel bent, and I've also got 2 sticks of 3" that I'm going to take to Random Technology and have them mock up the existing exhaust system in 3".

Spent yesterday getting the headlights and taillights wired up with WeatherPack connectors and getting them blasted and shot with Eastwood Rust Encapsulator (which, by the way, WILL dry sufficiently in 55 degree weather) so the taillights are in and functional, AND I got the car tagged last week, so the only thing holding me back now from getting to the alignment shop (and subsequently, the exhaust guy) is getting the front fenders mounted and the headlights/buckets installed. Hope to do that tonight. Then I get to futz with the custom air diverters the PO built to direct air around the air dam, then get the air dam mounted.

I was hoping to do video last weekend, but decided I'd rather wait to get the new exhaust done. Have the Borla XR-1 muffler ready to go, so it shouldn't be long. I have a couple vacation days left this year, so hoping to take a few soon and get this all wrapped up. I WILL take video this weekend though just for a "before and after" with the exhaust.

I'm giddy as a kid in a candy store, as I've put my foot into it a couple times in my neighborhood (no fenders, hood, or rear deck lid) and it has NO problem spinning a set of 11.5" slicks, so I'm very optimistic that I will have a nice running car.

RisingSun - would love to hook up with you when you come to the A.T.L. let me know when you're coming. And to answer your question, my battery is mounted in the back next to the fuel cell. Not sure why the PO put the battery behind the driver instead of over on the passenger side, but I'm sure he had is reasons.

Thanks for all the kind words guys - it's nearing completion!!

Sure will contact you when I take my stroker to ATL. I am too lazy to do a website like you, and probably I am also a more boring writer, but I want you to know that the whole time I was reading I was nodding my head in understanding for exactly what you are going through! Now if I can just get my Z back into the garage so I can stick all the parts on...

I'll be checking back to hear the exhaust note, I'm very curious how your stroker will sound with a Borla!

• 2 weeks later...