HybridZ

Man arrested for doing 164MPH

jgkurz

I live really close to Mansfield texas, and i was out on this county road one night in my z racing my friend's 325i. Anyway we were doing about 128ish and my radar detector lit up. We zoomed past the cop but he didn't pursue. I wonder what speed you have to be going before they don't pursue? This was before my z31 swap, i was running a cheap intercooler on 11psi making (i say this tentatively) 260whp at best. I don't know if he would have been able to catch me? Im glad i didn't get the chance to find out though.

Well Ive seen some shows (everything on tv you see is real :) ) and the lt1's are tuned with a piggy back ecu. (available for most cars) They also mentioned different bolt on performance parts, intakes and exhausts. And if anyone has ridden in a stock crown vic they move!!!

Years ago, when driving cross country in my Mercedes 6.9, (what a car!) empty road and very late at night, all of a sudden there was an OK state trooper on my rear bumper. He lit the car up like you see in "Close Encounters". Scared the snot out of us. Clocked us at 163, so how fast did he have to go to catch us???

Bottom line my college roommate was driving. He was FBI at the time, so with a flip of his credentials, the OK trooper let us go with a serious warning not to get caught again in Oklahoma!

I asked him how fast he could go and he said 205. I seem to recall he was in a pursuit Mustang, and I remember he had a very streamlined bubble on top. Happened in 1994 as I recall. But he also said that you couldn't outrun the radio- or a shot into your tires if we did it again! :D

6.9_thumb.jpg

when i first read the tittle i thought you were talking about our member speeder rick bowers!

that old man should not be driving that fast!!

just kidding rick!!

Too funny! I was like no way, Speeder got busted wow!

Police packages range from only a certified speedometer to slightly beefed-up suspensions and slightly bigger engines, through bullet-resistant tires and super or turbo-charged mills. Likewise, there's city versus highway cars too, and even pursuit cars- my favorite. Some of their cars are totally wimped out.

I used to have several friends on the NYSP and even had a few rides with them, and even their cars differed radically, from V-6's to V-8's and some had amazing suspensions too. They used Crown Vic's and Chevy Lumina's then. Not so sure now. Haven't seen many up close recently- thank goodness. :D

when i first read the tittle i thought you were talking about our member speeder rick bowers!

just kidding rick!!

I thought the same thing!!! He was down south for a Lexus meet this weekend and im sure he would love to stretch the legs on his turbo 2jz lexus. But i have a feeling his top speed would be a little higher!!!

1974 Michigan State Police Detective's car...454 Four Barrel, calibrated speedo, different suspension, dual exhausts and no catalysts or smog equipment at all... Almost like a 69 specification (or 72 for that matter).

Old lady next door had it when here husband died. In a teenager's dream one day we were talking and she asked me if I could take it up to Monument Road heading out of town and 'blow out the carbon for her'...Talk about doubletake. She explained to me that her husband told her that the car needed to have that done at least once a month or it wouldn't run right.

Like I needed to be asked twice. Suuuure I'll do that for ya Mrs Papke!

Worst traffic stop ever: coming back down Monument Road, and being stopped by the MSP at a triple digit speed. Trooper comes up, says "who are you? isn't this Papke's car?"

Yes sir, Gladys asked me to 'blow out the carbon' for her, and she says I have to go at least 140 or the car doesn't run right. Her husband told her that...

"That sounds like Papke, er... Don't tell anybody about this, and keep it on Sunday Mornings, O.K.?"

Yes, Officer!

(Glowing Look of Incredulity on Face Rest of the Day)

Apparently nobody on in the post wanted to screw with anything related to Gladys because she would camp out at the post desk and make their lives a living hell till they either relented, or someone up in higher HQ got wind of it and did something over their heads to placate whatever got under her bonnet. Never met her husband, but I was SO GLAD he told her to blow out the carbon every month!

Curiously, the later 70's Impala MSP Cars with the 350's were pretty good handlers, and would give a stock 240 a run around most auto-x courses believe it or not. Don't even ask how that bit of knowledge came into my realm! LOL

just kidding rick!!

Rick's Z will do 164 without even trying hard....:-D I changed the title so people don't think he was arrested.

Suburban Fullerton, CA and the local cops just got two new 1975 Nova police cars with the hot 350 police special option. For a couple weeks we saw them racing around town for no particular reason other then the cops were having fun with their new toys. They pulled over a friend in a Camaro and did a chickens%$t arrest on him (couple crumpled foil balls that they claimed had hash, lab came back and said Ding Dongs, which my friend had explained) and had his car impounded.

Me, being the superhero that I thought I was, decided to avenge my friend. For the next week I would stalk the Fullerton PD Novas on my Kawasaki 750 H2 (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=gPGhuepihmc). Blowing past their radar traps witht he front wheel off the ground generally got their attention, but that was usually the last time they saw me. A near wreck at the end of the week convinced me to sell the bike and put my superhero cape away.

But the damage to their egos had been done as reported to me by my little brother who had a police scanner.