HybridZ

you get to drive a gt2 for a week...what's first?

1 tuff z

so i have the use of my friends 2000 porsche gt2 club sport, i'm doing a bit of work on it and get to use it until monday morning. just washed it and thinking about a little cruise. this car is a boost master, 1.1 bar producing around 450hp. the club sport model is the only one in the us and includes, cf recaros, 6 pt harnesses, 6pt roll cage, lowered, and more stuff [long story as to how he came to own it]. it's quicker than my ls1 z and like a new scalpel vs. my machete z. what would you do if you were given the keys...?

IMG_0288.jpg

front view

IMG_02851.jpg

you can see my z waiting patiently in the garage. maybe even getting a bit jealous, that i'm with another...woman.:icon31:

Cruise around the hood! lol

I would just find some nice back roads to take it down where there is no traffic and cops. Then I would get on the highway and have an updated post for that thread title, "How fast gave you gone"...or something to that nature. I do like them P cars.

The keys words in your post.

Drive it, enjoy it, appreciate it, but dont abuse YOUR FRIEND's property.

David I remember his key words....I want you to drive it hard and enjoy it. Of course that means don't break it, lol.

I trust you with my car ;)

It's not a 2000... Check the door tag.. It has to be a 2002 or newer... And I can tell you first hand that you're officially in trouble if you spend ANY time driving that car...

As I told those who were at my last shindig, I'd sell my soul to the devil to keep my Porsche in my garage and it'll walk all over a stock GT2... That said, That is ONE BAD MOTHER you have sitting there... Watch it, as they have no PSM (traction control) and are known to get very tail happy!

It truly is one of the most impressive "supercars" on the planet...

I wish mine was silver... I hate black cars.

Mike

It's not... There are a bunch of them... They sell all the time for between $90-120K...

The difference in the GT2 and other Porsches (like my TT) is that along with NO front wheel drive, the car comes with wider wheels with different offsets, adjustable coil overs and larger brakes, better suspension geometry, adjustable control arms (via shims), thinner glass in the rear and side windows, less sound deadening, upgraded intercoolers, upgraded turbo chargers, free flowing exhaust, and better programming in the software department. An even more important improvement is in the gearbox... It has a built in heat exchanger and revised tranny internals that are a little stronger.

The 2001-2004 Twin Turbo and 2002 - 2005 GT2 are built using the same exact body/uni-body, which is over 3 inches wider than a standard 911. The GT2 uses the adjustable wing in the rear and the revised nose up front. The two combined produce amazing downforce that helps the cars high speed stability. That front nose/bumper cover is one of the mods I'll make to my car... It already has the GT2 rear deck.

That said, they still require improvements (all seriously track prepped 996s do) to the handling/suspension to get them to be more predictable... Adjustable toe links and locking plates, along with solid motor mounts are a good start... Better shocks are generally advised as well.

Mike

The only one in the US? In that case I don't know what I'd do exactly, but I'd do it very, very carefully.

I'll admit that I know very little about P-cars (just what I can absorb from car magazine articles). I got the impression that the "Club Sport" designation was something rare in the USA.

The 996/997 GT3 has always been something I've planned to own just as soon as I can afford to do so responsibly. Shoot maybe if I'm doing that well I'll spring for one of those turbocharged models you're having so much fun with. :cool:

you're correct mikey, i guess it did a quick glance at the mfg date. it's a 2001. tag in the door shows the official importer of this gem is northern california diagnostic lab. the owner had an incident at wgi when the less than predictable rear suspension did something strange, tail stepped out and kissed an immovable object. the owner has raced his 1997 911 in porsche club events for many years now and is a very experienced racer [regularly has podium finishes]. the gt2 is now equipped with stouter engine mounts as well as some sort of aftermarket [i can't remember exactly what he told me what was done] rear suspension parts [porsche still denies any issues with toe changes thru the suspension travel].

my question that began this post was more rhetorical than real as i would never abuse or take advantage of any vehicle that was other than my own. in fact i [as clive will tell you] granny drive my z at the glen. don't get me wrong i'm no slouch when i'm running it but there's no slamming of the pedals and my shifts take long [no speed shifting].

my friend has also let me drive some of the other cars he's had in the stable over the years to include; acura nsx, corvette c6 z06, infiniti g35 coupe & sedan and lastly, the biggest p car, his ferrari f355. interestingly enough he's run every single one of these cars at the glen, and hard.

we were talking the other day and i mentioned that i was pretty happy that i was consistently running lap times in the low 2:20's and figured that the gt2 was capable of low teens. he grins and says it's gone as quick as...2:06!

i've been driving it since wednesday afternoon and it goes back monday morning. it can be a bit unnerving when i think that if something happened i'd have to make a big dent in my retirement plan to pay...or that i'd become over exuberant and wind up wearing silver bracelets and get a room with free meals:icon_frow.

overall, i've been blessed with his generosity over the the past 13+ years, and let him know that it is much appreciated. of course, the gt2 was detailed last night in preparation for it's reluctant return.

forgot to mention. one of the things i am to do on the car is replace the broken [black] air dam lip. he comes into my office yesterday and says, "dave, you know the front end will begin to float over 158mph [i had removed the damaged lip the evening prior and was now driving it lipless], so be careful". i look at him puzzled and say "huh?". he laughs, tells me again and i look even more puzzled and let him know that i enjoy my regular driving privileges and intend to keep my license by simply crusing in the cool car.

mikey, he also told me that like my z it has no, traction control, or other stability save the driver gizmos. the power steering is nice however.

"Club Sport" is an added "option" package that consists of many of the pieces I have in my 996TT currently. It was simply an added "check" on the order sheet and includes a roll bar and Recarro racing buckets known as "euro-spec" GT3 componsite seats (Retailed at $2200 each for the seats alone) and other items like the LWFW kit, the carbon hood and rear hatch, full 6 point cage, and six point harnesses.

PICT0017.jpg

Mike

I'll admit that I know very little about P-cars (just what I can absorb from car magazine articles). I got the impression that the "Club Sport" designation was something rare in the USA.

The 996/997 GT3 has always been something I've planned to own just as soon as I can afford to do so responsibly. Shoot maybe if I'm doing that well I'll spring for one of those turbocharged models you're having so much fun with. :cool:

David, Now that you've had a chance to drive that car around, imagine it with an additional 200+HP and a little better suspension under it... Now you know what I drive everyday... :2thumbs:

Mike

i think i'd wait at least a few hundred miles [lol] prior to adding another 200 ponies to this beast. i don't dare drive it to the full potential as i have little seat time in a rear engine car that can spank my little z at will. i did take it to a car show this afternoon, got lots of stares, pics and lookers. was kind of fun pretending that i was rich for a few hours. does that make me a "poser"?

well, it's almost time for me to turn in the keys but before i do there are still a few last 'errands' to run...

here's a pic of my son taking his turn trying on the 'p' suit, he likes the fit.

IMG_0362.jpg

here's one my son took, a bit better than the nite shot i captured...

IMG_0356.jpg