HybridZ

*New* Z project!

Did you let it settle?

Before:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_MzDneJv4LQ0/SZpjh5RWJsI/AAAAAAAAHy4/Z8smJGPU9tM/s800/p1010441.jpg

After, but before letting it settle:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_MzDneJv4LQ0/SZplfsrk0mI/AAAAAAAAH0A/MOvY9fVcj2k/s800/p1010453.jpg

I wouldn't worry about it. Our 280z looked weird right after we let it down too.

Hey, that's my project, cool! You kinda just made my day. However, that's changing from 195/70-14 to 205/60-14 so it may not JUST be a settling difference. I'll get pics up after I've moved it a mile or so, and we'll see how it really sits after settling.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kinda like the twice pipes sticking out like that. But it looks like you've shaved the bumper, if so then I agree about them sticking out lol. Maybe if you could section the pipe somewhere out of sight so that the chrome tips begin slightly under the rear valence so you can't see the dark gray part. I'm liking the progress though, its looking good.

Yeah, the only problem is that I'm limited to where I can shorten the pipes at. I only have maybe a maximum of 5" that I can remove off the area that connects to the muffler. If I shorten any of the other sections, it will move the bends in the rest of the system back, which will cause the piping to come into contact with/get in the way of the driver side transverse link. That's why I was hoping I wouldn't have to resort to cutting the tips.

I let the car settle (I don't think the gas strut inserts have the same settling properties of the stock oil system) for a while, put my weight on the back of the car too (all 145 lbs of it, LOL), but the ride height is mostly unchanged. Looks like it wasn't the bushings, either. Guess that's just how it sits for now, though my choice of bigger wheels and tires may fix that in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, that's right, you fusible links... You're GONE FOR GOOD!!!

I'm so proud of myself. Several months ago I made a trip to walmart and picked up two maxi fuse blocks to get rid of my fusible links which were an utter embarrassment to the rest of the car. Only now did I get around to installing them, but from the limited tests I've done they work perfectly. Very easy to install, and I have much more confidence in the wiring than the HACK JOB factory wiring. The writeup on AtlanticZ was totally correct. I can't believe the splices on the wiring to the links (from the starter) were actually factory. Those are now GONE and replaced with a single piece of 6 gauge battery cable.

Zproj040.jpg

Maybe even Daeron will be proud... This is such a cheap, effective no-brainer that I'm shocked its not more widespread than it already is. I'm a terrible electrician and it took less than an hour to do everything. Granted, my mounting for the boxes is a little bit of a hack job, but I can fix that later. I just wanted to make sure everything worked.

Oh yeah... and I did do a little bit of trimming and fitting for the new carpet recently...

Zproj038.jpg

Maybe even Daeron will be proud...

Rolling in the aisles, my friend... I don't think I have a photo of my maxi fuse install because I hacked mine into the car to replace the burnt wiring and see what state my car was in. In addition to that, mine is an OEM unit out of a Caddy I believe, or some other GM vehicle, so it is going to take a little work to mount up and make it look nice. In other words, right now its dangling by wires in a manner totally not conducive to actually driving the car.

That looks great man, I would just get some little stickers to cover the Scosche name.. that name just screams "wal-mart audiophile" to me

Is that a bad thing? :-D

I was almost thinking a "Powered by Walmart" windshield sticker would really suit the car!

Sounds like a NASCAR thing to me. I do my level best to use wal-mart mercilessly, like a cheap hooker. If something is not SUBSTANTIALLY cheaper there than somewhere else, I won't buy it; I am trying to do my best to run them out of business (Said Don Quixote)

Ha! Yeah, I was completely sarcastic about that comment. Although I despise them, its easier and quicker for me to use them for small stuff like brake cleaner, fiberglass resin, fuses and nic nacs. For everything else, there's Autozone, and the internet. Like I've stated before, all the junkyards around here really suck and none are pick and pull. I've even tried going in there covered in grime wearing a local garage shirt (where I used to work) and they STILL won't let me past the service counter to the yard. Too many idiots around here like to sue for hurting themselves, so I guess they don't trust anyone.

I was about to go mad after testing my battery and alternator at least twice a piece and they both turn up good, yet my battery would always be dead when i went to my car.

Who knew it was those crap-tastic Fusible links?? It was so quick to do, very much worth it, I recommend anyone who is using the stock harness to do it.

[Mine look even more out of place than yours haha]

Its funny; my dad just did a bit of engine bay clean up on his 78 280 and he removed that little shelf entirely, and fastened the relays and fusible link holders down to the threads in the fenderwell originally used to hold the shelf :rolleyes:

I don't think any of this looks out of place at all; to me, a Datsun S30 is a starting point for making a Porsche-Buster Z, and that which needs to be done to it to achieve the goal must be done. Thats why I finally swallowed my pill and got over the problem I had with the SBC swap.

• 1 month later...

The car still needs tweaks, the interior isn't finished, and the paint needs a bit of touchup and a rubout to be truly shiny. But having it back on the road after all this time and effort has made everything I've done for the past several months totally worth it.

HEeey!! Cool it looks Much much better witht he paint on it, Nice choice on the orange. You'll need to get some magnetic sign material and cut out some pumpkin shapes next halloween... hehe JK! it really does look cool in that color. it's awesome to see it back together, you sure did a lot of work...

So did you paint it yourself, or have someone paint it? What kind of Primer did you use, and was there much sanding in between? I've heard paint systems are best to go with. you know matched paint and primer. Did you pain the interior before you put everything back in? How is the ride with those coil overs?

Phar

HEeey!! Cool it looks Much much better witht he paint on it, Nice choice on the orange. You'll need to get some magnetic sign material and cut out some pumpkin shapes next halloween... hehe JK! it really does look cool in that color. it's awesome to see it back together, you sure did a lot of work...

So did you paint it yourself, or have someone paint it? What kind of Primer did you use, and was there much sanding in between? I've heard paint systems are best to go with. you know matched paint and primer. Did you pain the interior before you put everything back in? How is the ride with those coil overs?

Phar

Thanks for the compliments!

Everything, and I mean everything, has and will be done by myself on this car. All you see is accomplished from within the confines of my home garage. I used a 33 gal craftsman compressor hooked to an HVLP gun purchased from Home Cheepo. I used single stage polyurethane paints (Transtar) purchased from a local shop called Levine Automotive. The primer was high fill, the color was Omaha Orange.

I block sanded the car with each coat of primer, which was about 2 coats with some touch up for spots I sanded through. Lots of finishing glaze too. I still didn't get the bumper as straight as I'd wanted, but it looks good unless you really take a magnifying glass to it. There are plenty of blemishes, but thankfully no one seems to notice them but me so far. All was very frustrating in such a confined working space, but it turned out pretty well, even though this was my first try. But, this is a DD, not a show car.

The whole paint shebang I got (primer, color, mixing sticks, measuring cups, etc) was less than what I would have paid for a whole supply of Duplicolor lacquer that I originally planned on doing, ~$340. Much cheaper than a pro paintjob too.

The interior is mostly painted, but not fully installed yet. I was too impatient to get the car on the road and test it, so the passenger seat isn't even fully bolted down. :icon56:

I don't have coilovers, just Tokico blue inserts and Eibach progressive lowering springs. Unfortunately the only things I can really reference them to is my first car (3000GT), a Lexus ES300, and my HD Sportster XLC1200. Its much harsher than the Lexus, similar (but better cornering) to the 3000GT, and much less back breaking than the motorcycle. I like it, a lot. Its a sportscar, its not meant to have an entirely plush ride.