HybridZ

*New* Z project!

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

did you get your gauge pod done?

No, it still looks like crap. I need to finish filling it in with foam and sand it down and paint it or something to make it look nice. Right now its just functional, and screws into the A pillar for mounting where the original plastic embellishment did. So many unfinished projects....

Edited by Oddmanout84

• 1 month later...

Z146.jpg

Some of you may remember this woeful 70's dealer modification on my car. Some of you may have the same. Hint: its on my roof.

Well...

003.jpg

Pop.

007-4.jpg

Cut.

001-9.jpg

002-7.jpg

003-8.jpg

Fit.

004-7.jpg

Paste.

005-3.jpg

Besides the bumps from the tack welds, the panel is perfectly flush with the rest of the roofline. Those will be ground down and smoothed once I make some more.

Thank you Hobart, thank you Eastwood flanging tool, and most of all thank you donor '73.

I love that car and I am very happy with the fact that you finished a Z project, or got it that far. I realize that a Z project is never really completely finished but that car is amazing. I only wish I could get mine to look like that car. Altho I do have a black hood hahahah and tinted headlight covers, but my car will probly never be that fast. Ill try to post pics on here when I figure out how do load them

Any pics of the panel after you used the eastwood flanging tool on it?

Definitely something I would have liked to do when I patched mine! Make sure you stitch the panel in completely solid around to seal it. Take it slow with a copper backing bar and you shouldn't warp.

Looking good so far! B)

Any pics of the panel after you used the eastwood flanging tool on it?

Definitely something I would have liked to do when I patched mine! Make sure you stitch the panel in completely solid around to seal it. Take it slow with a copper backing bar and you shouldn't warp.

Looking good so far! B)

I've been taking it painfully slow, lol. I don't know how many times I had to swap sides with my welder and ladder (car is as high as it goes on the stands, wanted a better angle). One of the main reasons I got the flanging tool was to avoid having to purchase a copper backing plate, and I figured it would be difficult to support the plug inside the hole while tacking. Also, I didn't have to be ultra precise when cutting the plug to fit. Well, and I was curious. I'll probably need a copper backer anyway at some point. Lot of small unwanted holes to fill in the engine bay...

I didn't take any pictures of the flanging in progress (doh!), but I'll see if I can make a demo flange on the donor roof to give you a visual. The flange is much milder in appearance than advertised, but it works great!

Edited by Oddmanout84

Wow, Oddmanout, that's pretty cool. I'm glad you're getting it all back together. you didn't say how it was running since the rebuild. I hope it goes well. What did you ever end up doing about your floorpans? I remember you were going to glass them at one point, but now you've got the welder... Pretty cool job in anycase. Oh, I also missed on if you put in the 2nd layer of sound deadening?

Phar

Wow, Oddmanout, that's pretty cool. I'm glad you're getting it all back together. you didn't say how it was running since the rebuild. I hope it goes well. What did you ever end up doing about your floorpans? I remember you were going to glass them at one point, but now you've got the welder... Pretty cool job in anycase. Oh, I also missed on if you put in the 2nd layer of sound deadening?

Phar

Never put a second layer of soundmat down, and the passenger side still has a tiny patch of fiberglass. About it running... its not. I still have yet to complete the shortblock, since the Nissan Comp oil pan dictates that I make a custom oil pickup (all the stock pieces I try are too short). So in the meantime I've been getting these little projects done. Rerouting a new fuel system, replacing most of the plumbing with AN lines, cleaning up the engine bay, creating intercooler ducting, fabricating a custom intake, installing the 240sx transmission... that's just scratching the surface. I hope I get it on the road this summer... :(

• 1 month later...

And here's another massive hemorrhage of progress:

001-7.jpg

002-6.jpg

All the Pistons and rods are in and torqued to spec. The assembly rotates "freely" but the red assembly goop offers some resistance. I plastigauged all the bearings so... fingers crossed...

003-7.jpg

Used some scrap 1/4" steel to make myself a side engine mount for better access.

003-13.jpg

Finally have a 36-1 crank trigger wheel mounted on my MSA comp damper. Hopefully its thick enough and will be able to trigger the coil on plug system for Haltech.

007-5.jpg

Tial 38mm wastegate. I also have a 90 degree weld el and flanges to mate it to the exhaust manifold like Noddle's setup.

004-5.jpg

002-12.jpg

I bought a .50ar compressor housing and 50 trim wheel off ebay according to looking at the compressor maps on the forums. Supposedly this is the best setup for the engine from my understanding. Also got a brand new water cooled center section and plumbed everything accordingly.

004-10.jpg

001-12.jpg

002-11.jpg

003-12.jpg

This is all just mockup. Making sure everything fits the way its supposed to, but nothing is really bolted on. The oil pan has a large space I'm looking though to check clearances between the counterweights and the windage tray. The rear of the pan still needs to be bumped out to clear the rear two ARP main studs. Coil on plug setup is thanks to 1 fast z's excellent mounting bracket. Also not shown is the Haltech triple channel igniter module that I'll be using to run waste spark (not using the EDIS module).

006-4.jpg

Fenders are finally cut and welded up to clear the tires. :rolleyes:

005-4.jpg

Test fitting the 240z dash.

006-5.jpg

001-13.jpg

Using a dimple die to make holes out to the inner fender, with hopes to vent engine bay air and reduce pressures. At some point I'd like to duct these into a fender vent just aft of the front ZG flares, but at this point I really need to stop so many while I'm at it projects and just get the damn car running again.

003-10.jpg

004-9.jpg

001-11.jpg

002-10.jpg

003-11.jpg

Prepping the engine bay for paint and then engine installation. Did some seam welding with short stitches. The battery tray is currently removed, as well as the pitted metal below it. I'm tacking in new sheet metal, but not a new battery tray. I'm going to relocate it to the trunk and possibly use a small profile unit from Braille. That will leave room for something like a methanol tank if it comes down to it. I also have about 50ft of brake line to replace EVERYTHING, and a 79-81 15/16th master cylinder and large brake booster ready to go in. Not enough money currently to drop on the 4x4 Toyota brakes, but at least its somewhat of an improvement for now.

So much time and so little to do...

Very cool, you've sure been doing a bit of work. I like the coil on plug packs. that's a pretty cool looking idea. The Timing wheel, is that just bolted to the front of the damper? I've gotta admire the amount of work you've been putting in since my project has been advancing fairly slowly. I was looking at painting my engine compartment, but I can't yet afford to paint the whole thing so I'm kinda stuck in that it really should all be sent for stripping and paint before I doo too much more, or I'll be tearing it all down again when the time comes for paint. I kinda don't want to be redoing too much work. I'm sure you know what I mean.

• 1 month later...

Thanks. I'm actually growing tired of the work though, since now it's getting close to summer. It seems like the driving season is already slipping by again, without me having a running Z... I'm painting the engine bay with rattlecan ceramic engine paint from advance auto, not that expensive, lol. Though I kinda wish now I was doing it with POR-15.

Photos speak for themselves, mostly.

007-6.jpg

008-3.jpg

009-2.jpg

010-2.jpg

I'll admit the last photo shows a lot of ancillary components like the manifolds merely mocked up on the block, not fully installed, for clearancing the plumbing. The tiny stock turbo probably won't be put on there, but because my other T3 exhaust housing has two broken studs WITH broken extractors in it I'm screwed unless I either cannibalize the stock Nissan turbo or find another T3 stage 1 housing (nearly impossible it seems). I can't run the OEM turbo anymore because it has a dry housing, and the motor is now set up for a water cooled center section. Sure, I could just cap off the lines temporarily or join them together to complete the circuit, but that would just be silly.

Also making an appearance in the photo is my modified transmission (FINALLY done). There's a red puddle under the engine that you might be able to see. I'm still in the process of modifying the oil pan and the pickup to fit the engine, which has been a total pain. The recent heat wave has decreased the viscosity of the assembly fluid so it's been dripping down to the floor, with no oil pan to catch it.

The engine is nearly ready to drop in. The car itself it seems, is not.

001-11.jpg

It's been so long since this thing has been "grounded" that it barely feels like I'm working on a car anymore... Bodywork is the worst. I love welding, but I wish I didn't have to do so much of it on the car itself.

002-13.jpg

The oil pan I bought was almost more trouble than it was worth, with the amount of modifications I had to make just to get it to work. I ended up having to cut two holes in the back to clear the rear main ARP studs and weld two "bumps" back in to seal it. The windage tray I procured from the company that made the pan was for a later model so it didn't fit the pan, meaning I had to hack it up quite a bit. I had to pickup that would fit, so I took one of my 280z oil pickups and a junk KA24DE (240sx) pickup and sectioned both of them to give me one longer one. I clearanced the pickup about 200 times by packing a 1/8" thick pancake of clay into the pickup box and bolting the pan up to make sure it was sitting close to parallel and not crushing into the floor of the pan. With any luck, this will work well.

003-14.jpg

005-5.jpg

Thank you Cygnus, for bringing this mod to my attention.

017-2.jpg

Welding has been an absolute pain, at least for the engine bay. I had to reconstruct the battery tray from several pieces of new metal. I originally had just one, perfectly cut and fit piece. However, once I started tacking it everything went to hell, and I had to cut some of the excess that wouldn't form to the original curve. Whether this is because I mis-measured or the welds stretched it, I don't know. I had to tack in another piece so it looks like a mess.

My new plumbing has so far been ridiculously easy to assemble, I don't know what all the fuss is about. We'll see if I start eating my words when the engine springs multiple leaks when I start breaking it in.

008-4.jpg

009-3.jpg

001-14.jpg

013-2.jpg

These are stock colors, right?

Edited by Oddmanout84

• 2 weeks later...

IHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErustIHATErust

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...